The simFlight Network Forums

Tower: Schedule Creator 24 V1 Released (Includes CYYZ)

dickparker

First let me say thank you so much for all your efforts in developing and Schedule Creator over the years.  I feel that it adds tremendous value to the product.  Here is my question.

I am a little confused about the cargo terminal assignments at KATL.  There are two cargo terminals at this airport (North and South), and both appear are active in the game.  However, the terminal.txt file only lists one cargo terminal making it unclear how to assign specific cargo carriers to the appropriate location (UPS and FDX park at the north cargo ramp, while the south cargo ramp is used for most others).  Is there an easy way to have the North and South cargo termianls treated as separate entities, or is that not practical without a great deal of knowledge about the inner workings of the Airfield Editor?  Thank you for any insight you might have to offer.

Andrew

Andrew:  Thanks for your comments.  Since only one cargo terminal is assigned in the sim, I would just stick with that.  I don't know the strategy of the programmers, perhaps one cargo terminal assignment covers both terminals.  If you want to create a new cargo terminal, you might check out the instructions for adding one at LAX and see if you can apply that at ATL.

The sim is actually a bit out-of-date regarding terminals and gates at airports, such as ATL and LAX.  But, it is hard to keep everything current as airlines come and go, change gates, new terminal spots are opened, etc.

• 2 months later...

Hi Dick,

I just installed your excellent tool. It really adds to Tower's immersion.

One small problem though - I created a schedule for KLAX with 2880 flights and then followed your file modding instructions to the latter (or so I believe). I expect that at 15:00 UTC I would get about one departure per minute (my departures are set all the way to the right), however I only get one departure every three minutes or so. Could you take a look at my modified file for a quick sanity check? I don't know how to upload them here but I would gladly send you a link to them.

Thanks,

Amit

Any mods you make must be to the "airports" and "airlines" files, not to the "schedule" file.  I assume you have "Real Traffic" installed, also.  You can upload files by using the "full editor" option when posting a message.  At the bottom is a section for uploading files.  I will be glad to take a look.

Any mods you make must be to the "airports" and "airlines" files, not to the "schedule" file.  I assume you have "Real Traffic" installed, also.  You can upload files by using the "full editor" option when posting a message.  At the bottom is a section for uploading files.  I will be glad to take a look.

I am attaching all the files except the afx one where I added the Cargo terminal

Los_Angeles_Airport_terminal.txt

airlines.txt

airports.txt

schedule.txt

Amit

The only thing I note in your files is that the airlines.txt file contains many blank lines.  I don't think this should interfere with the reading but you might try removing them.  Other than that, they look all right to me.  Assuming all of the input files are correct, the main thing that affects arrivals and departures is the number of free gates at the airports.  Flights will not arrive unless they have a free gate.  Try looking at the log file and see if the program is loading departures.  I would look into this a little further but this weekend is a national holiday in the US and I am busy with other activities.

Another note:  2880 is a lot of flights and will lead to many flights being dropped.  Try making a schedule with about 1200 flights and see how that works.

The only thing I note in your files is that the airlines.txt file contains many blank lines.  I don't think this should interfere with the reading but you might try removing them.  Other than that, they look all right to me.  Assuming all of the input files are correct, the main thing that affects arrivals and departures is the number of free gates at the airports.  Flights will not arrive unless they have a free gate.  Try looking at the log file and see if the program is loading departures.  I would look into this a little further but this weekend is a national holiday in the US and I am busy with other activities.

Another note:  2880 is a lot of flights and will lead to many flights being dropped.  Try making a schedule with about 1200 flights and see how that works.

I ran the tool again with 1200 flights. I believe it actually works well. Here are my observations:

1. The attached log shows some flights with "Out from app:". Are these dropped flights?

2. The TT: section for UTC 15:00 shows almost all the expected traffic. It does seem to start slow and then pick up the pace. So I simply wasn't patient enough.

All in all, a very enjoyable experience. Thanks a lot!

schedule.txt

tower.zip

The information in the log file is really not for users so I'm not totally sure what all the phrases mean.

When I use LAX, I create 1200-1400 flights over 24 hours, and activate runways 24L/R and 25L/R.  I do my landings on 24R and 25L, and departures on 24L (mainly to accommodate Southwest) and 25R.

Thanks for your comments.

• 5 months later...

Could it be that KATL isn't working with version 17? I created a schedule with v16 and it worked fine, but when I create a schedule with v17, none of the airports are filled in. Worked fine for KLAX and KJFK though...

Below extract of the generated file:

ATL,    ,    ,   ,    0, 06:20, 01:20,   0,   
 ATL,    ,    ,   ,    0, 16:13, 11:13,   0,   
 ATL,    ,    ,   ,    0, 02:16, 21:16,   0,   
 ATL,    ,    ,   ,    0, 01:38, 20:38,   0,   
 ATL,    ,    ,   ,    0, 04:23, 23:23,   0,   
 ATL,    ,    ,   ,    0, 05:32, 00:32,   0,   
 ATL,    ,    ,   ,    0, 12:32, 07:32,   0,   
 ATL,    ,    ,   ,    0, 14:53, 09:53,   0,   
 ATL,    ,    ,   ,    0, 19:02, 14:02,   0,   
 ATL,    ,    ,   ,    0, 15:26, 10:26,   0,   
 ATL,    ,    ,   ,    0, 04:41, 23:41,   0,   
 ATL,    ,    ,   ,    0, 04:17, 23:17,   0,   

I just created a 1000-flight Atlanta schedule without any problems.  Here are the first few lines.

// SCHEDULE CREATOR 17 Real Flight Numbers by Dick Parker (September 2015)
// ATL  1000 flights
// Created on Wed Oct 28 15:56:38 2015
//
 ATL, SHV, CR2, EV, 5585, 23:51, 22:51, 120, EV
 ATL, CLT, 321, US,  551, 18:30, 17:10,  80, US
 ATL, AUS, 733, WN, 4656, 16:59, 15:39, 140, WN
 ATL, AGS, CR2, EV, 5096, 04:40, 03:40,  60, EV
 ATL, DFW, 744, CI, 5254, 08:44, 07:24, 140, CI
 ATL, CLT, 717, DL, 2251, 18:42, 17:22,  80, DL
 ATL, HOU, 733, WN,   42, 17:38, 16:28, 130, WN
 ATL, LAX, 77L, DL, 2055, 15:23, 14:03, 260, DL
 ATL, CMH, M88, DL, 1695, 01:25, 23:35, 110, DL

So, I don't know what the problem might be.  Everything in my source file looks all right.  Let me know if you still continue to have problems and I will be glad to send you a fresh copy.  No one else has reported any problems.

• 3 weeks later...

Could it be that KATL isn't working with version 17? I created a schedule with v16 and it worked fine, but when I create a schedule with v17, none of the airports are filled in. Worked fine for KLAX and KJFK though...

Below extract of the generated file:

ATL,    ,    ,   ,    0, 06:20, 01:20,   0,   
 ATL,    ,    ,   ,    0, 16:13, 11:13,   0,   
 ATL,    ,    ,   ,    0, 02:16, 21:16,   0,   
 ATL,    ,    ,   ,    0, 01:38, 20:38,   0,   
 ATL,    ,    ,   ,    0, 04:23, 23:23,   0,   
 ATL,    ,    ,   ,    0, 05:32, 00:32,   0,   
 ATL,    ,    ,   ,    0, 12:32, 07:32,   0,   
 ATL,    ,    ,   ,    0, 14:53, 09:53,   0,   
 ATL,    ,    ,   ,    0, 19:02, 14:02,   0,   
 ATL,    ,    ,   ,    0, 15:26, 10:26,   0,   
 ATL,    ,    ,   ,    0, 04:41, 23:41,   0,   
 ATL,    ,    ,   ,    0, 04:17, 23:17,   0,   

Bazvink..... Try to right click on the schedule creator and run as administrator. I find that i have to do this to get the info. If i dont, i get the same result as you do.

Brian

• 3 months later...

Yes, Skywest has most of the flights to SFO.  Remember, the schedule is just a snapshot of one day a couple of years ago.  You can always increase the number of parking slots by adding OO to one of the terminals that does not receive as many flights.  Trying to keep schedules 100% accurate and realistic would be a full-time job.  I'm not sure even FlightAware does that.  Sorry if it decreases your enjoyment.

Hello Dick Parker,

I have a few questions about the schedule creator before I am going to start 'experimenting' with it. I just bought this Tower! 2011 game and I like it very much. I am training on the St.Thomas airport before I will head out to the more complex airports.

1) Does TSC_17 also support St. Thomas?

2) Does TSC_17 create traffic on set parameters like the amount of arrivals/departures I wanne handle in one hour of gametime?

3) Does TSC_17 create randomly created traffic so I'll get a total different experience each hour of traffic it generates?

Maybe I am mistaken what TSC_17 does or doesn't do so I am sorry for that. Thank you for the help,

Carda1972

Schedule Creator creates schedules for the 17 major airports in Tower; it does not include St. Thomas (not enough diverse traffic).  The data is from FlightAware but has not been updated for several months. You can set the starting and ending times of a schedule, and the number of flights (equally divided between arrivals and departures) in that time period.  Caution: creating lots of flights does not necessarily mean lots of traffic--traffic is always controlled by the number of parking spaces available for each airline at its assigned terminal.  You must have Nyerges' "Real Traffic" installed to use the schedules created by SC.  You can run SC alone to test it--it does not depend on Tower to run.  Read the documentation.

Thank you for answering my questions.

I must say this is some awesome and powerful tool. I have just installed it and did everything your documentation told me to, which was very well explained. At first I was getting the same problem as bazvink (empty lines) but your answer to him about start the tool as administrator solved it right away. This will make me have endless fun on EDDF for sure. As I'm just starting out on this Airport, I'll take it easy and create 20 arrival flights (i'm just gonna open 1 runway for arrivals) and manually edit the created file to have a 3 minute seperation between the incoming flights.

Job well done, sir.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm new to using the schedule creator so I may be a bit behind with this issue, but I wanted to see what others were doing if/when they encounter it.  The schedule creates flights for the 747 which seems to create an issue at some of the airports I've purchased, specifically KRDU and KBOS so far.  When instructed to taxi to the runway, they reply that the runway is not long enough for takeoff and refuse the instruction.  I've tried with the longest runway available at each airport, but apparently they are not long enough for a 747 to take off.

I have edited the 747 out of any schedule at these airports and replaced it with another large aircraft that is able to takeoff/land at the airport.  I was wondering if that is the easiest/best solution or are their aircraft/airport specific edits I could make to allow for the 747 operation.  If you've encountered this issue, what have you done for a fix?

That is a limitation.  However, you can edit the 747 file to shorten the takeoff distance.  Look in the Tower folder for "Airplanes."  Inside that folder is an app call "planeEd.exe."  You can run that and open the four 747 type files and shorten the takeoff distance.  I think the default is about 9000 feet so try making it 8000 and see what happens.  Since they are in the RDU and BOS schedules, that means they actually fly there in real-life.

That is a limitation.  However, you can edit the 747 file to shorten the takeoff distance.  Look in the Tower folder for "Airplanes."  Inside that folder is an app call "planeEd.exe."  You can run that and open the four 747 type files and shorten the takeoff distance.  I think the default is about 9000 feet so try making it 8000 and see what happens.  Since they are in the RDU and BOS schedules, that means they actually fly there in real-life.

Thanks for the follow up, Dick.  I think it is only one version of the 747 that throws out the message but I'm not in front of my PC to check right now.  I'll do what you've explained as that seems to be the easiest and most logical choice.  

Thanks again for everything.

• 3 weeks later...