The simFlight Network Forums

Tracon 2012: KLAX arrivals with notes

Satch_999

After seeing the execellent video "Tracon! 2012 - Arrival Management - Part 1: Principles" by Mark Hargrove

(

)

i decided to make some notes.

* 24R and 25L used for arrivals
* VOR: 3 letters, radio beacon
* Waypoints, 5 letters, fictional
* 24R waypoints: JETSA-MERCE-PALAC
* 25L waypoints: LIMMA-HUNDA-GAATE-FUELR
* proceed direct to <waypoint> works, VOR's need to be pronouced: SLI = Seal Beach
* normal configuartion = wind from west to east (west operation)

* 3 categories of arrivals: North & West, South, East
* South arrivals: primary runway 25L, LEENA4
* LEENA4: croos SLI at 7000, 210 knots, after SLI descend to 5000, left turn 270 for ILS approach

* East arrivals: primary runway 25L, 3 stars: RIIVR2, SEAVU2 and OLDEE2
* Altitude: line above means at or below, line under means at or above
* RIIVR2, waypoint RIIVR altitude between 14000 and 12000
* SEAVU2 and OLDEE2, waypoint SEAVU between 14000 and 12000
* tip about aircraft speed: keep them as long above 10000, then they can go as fast as possible
* under 10000 ther's a speed maximum of 250 knots
* PALAC and FUELR: cross at or above 7000
* MERCE: cross at or above 4000, left turn 220
* GAATE: cross at or above 5000, right turn 270
* ILS approaches don't fly straight in, they need an intercept heading of 20-25 degrees

* North and West arrivals, primary 24R, 2 stars: SADDE6 and KIMMO2
* SADDE6: SYMON cross at 12000, BAYST cross at 10000, SMO at or above 5000, fly heading 070, just before MERCE, descent to 4000, right heading 220 for the ILS approach
* KIMMO2: after PURMS right heading e.g 160, descend to 4000, right heading 225 for the ILS approach

See also: http://laartcc.org/page/vectoring

Good luck !

Yes ... excellent vids and very helpful to a noob like me. I do seem to recall though, that Mark thought the Sadde arrivals were coming in too low,

yet when I pull-up the Sadde SID it is as you described above (SMO at or above 5000) The trouble is, of course, departures heading north

may not climb fast enough (CRJ?) to be @6000 or above by the time they reach SMO. So the choice may be (as per Mark?) keep the arrivals @ or above 7000 or vector arr/dep to maintain separation. I prefer keeping the arr's at 7000..if I can catch them in time...not easy to do when things get busy.

Two other comments that come to mind: I find I don't need to vector the arrivals "off the localizer" in order to clear them for an ILS arrival.

An example of that would be the BASET3 SID that is essentially a straight in approach. I don't need to vector those arrivals at all.

The other comment is more about a scenario that repeats: flights arriving from seavu and oldee ...it becomes a real challenge to maintain

separation. The arrival on oldee2 does not become controllable until well inside the sector boundary and usually right on top

off the arrival coming in from seavu2.