The simFlight Network Forums

Is MyTraffic working or not?

After a considerable amount of time following the checklist, scheduling traffic and compiling flights, I do not know if MyTraffic is actually working.  KJFK is my base of operations. There is plenty of AI traffic. However, I have built schedules for UPS aircraft (10), all a minute of two apart. ATC is either not announcing the traffic, or different airline names are being used. After compiling per the instructions, should I not SEE and HEAR the UPS aircraft at the designated scheduled times? The AI traffic I see and hear, are they being randomly generated by FSX? How do you determine what aircraft are being generated by MyTraffic? The drop-down for Air Traffic in FSX is not showing my designated flights. Should they be on this list? Is there a way to identify an AI generated aircraft from a MyTraffic generated one by its flight tag? Is it necessary to re-compile before each flight?

Please respond,

Nick 

"The AI traffic I see and hear, are they being randomly generated by FSX? How do you determine what aircraft are being generated by MyTraffic?"

What airline names are you seeing for AI traffic at KJFK?  If you are seeing real world airline names (Delta, Southwest, United, American,etc...whatever normally flies into JFK), then the original part of MyTrafficX is working correctly. 

As for your personally generated flights, I'd guess you've made some sort of error, either in generating the flight plans properly, or in compiling those flight plans properly.  Your custom traffic bgls must reside in an active scenery file for them to function.

JFK traffic consists primarily of Jet Blue, American Airlines, Eagle Flight and occasional Air Lingus and United. I my planning I have made JFK the Hub fur United Parcel Service. I scheduled flights with recommended aircraft numbers and airlines.

As for your personally generated flights, I'd guess you've made some sort of error, either in generating the flight plans properly, or in compiling those flight plans properly.  Your custom traffic bgls must reside in an active scenery file for them to function.

In the Scenery area MyTraffic is about a third down in the stack as recommended. What active scenery file must contain the custom traffic bgls ? Give me a location to check.

I appreciate your help.

JFK traffic consists primarily of Jet Blue, American Airlines, Eagle Flight and occasional Air Lingus and United. I my planning I have made JFK the Hub fur United Parcel Service. I scheduled flights with recommended aircraft numbers and airlines.

In the Scenery area MyTraffic is about a third down in the stack as recommended. What active scenery file must contain the custom traffic bgls ? Give me a location to check.

I appreciate your help.

Let's verify the standard MyTrafficX AI is working for you first...without that, your custom flight will probably fail also...

Are you saying that you are currently seeing "Jet Blue, American Airlines, Eagle Flight and occasional Air Lingus and United" AI traffic at JFK in your FSX installation?   (or are you saying those are typical for the realworld JFK?  Just want to be sure I understand you properly.)  If you are seeing those airlines at JFK in your sim, then MyTrafficX is working...

If you see MyTraffic AI or not can easily be verified by renaming MyTraffic\scenery\MyTrafficCommercial,bgl to ...bgl.passive - if then the airport is void the traffic comes from MyTraffic.

About programming AI traffic, there is a common misconcept that if you program a flight FSX should show it - it may show them. A lot of carefull planning is needed to have a non Zero likelihood for this to happen, you have to make sure that there are suffient parkings of the right type at the right time at every airport in the schedule to start with.

Therefore I recommend to begin programming your schedules in an empty world, with all schedules deleted, and only once you have tested and verified your work to function, combine them with the rest of the schedules - adding 10 flights to the MyTraffic schedules is like throwing 10 needles onto a big hay stack.

Mytrafficcommercial was changed to Mytrafficcommercial.bgl.passive, per your recommendation, with no difference at JFK. There were still the same amount of aircraft and Air Traffic chatter. Then I deleted MyTraffic from the scenery in FSX. There was no change to the aircraft. An attempt to add back MyTraffic to the scenery was made. The process would not work. Instructions indicate that with Win 7 an anomaly in this area would occur. It was recommended to click on a blank area in the Microsoft Games/Microsoft Flight Simulator X/MyTraffic/Scenery to add MyTraffic. This procedure did not work. After selecting "Scenery" and pressing OK, nothing happened. The blank page said "No files found" or something to that effect. Previously this procedure was attempted numerous times with no satisfactory results. Then one time it did work and I left well enough alone. My feeling is that the trouble lies in my inability to add  MyTraffic scenery to FSX. Do you agree? Do you know of a work-around for Win 7?

Thanks,

Nick

You were correct. The AI airlines were from" World of AI." The aircraft population at JFK is pretty much depleted at this point. Adding the MyTraffic scenery layer is still not possible. After attempting to add the MyTraffic layer at the "Scenery" file, there is a blank area with the heading, " No items match your search." Clicking on the blank areas of that screen and then pressing the OK button results in no action. The only option is to cancel out of the adding scenery function. Until adding the MyTraffic scenery level is possible, further troubleshooting would be difficult. Are you familiar with this anomaly? Do you know of a work-around?

Thanks,

Nick

Again, you select the MyTraffic Folder as scenery. Press OK.

But instead of closing the window, it will browse into that Folder. Now in there find, at the bottom, an empty space, and click on that.

Interesting that under Windows 8.1, from two installations I once also had to add a title,.the second time this was added automatically - FSX is not fully compatible to Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1, but that I cannot solve ...

WOAI Installation, if you uninstall, onyl partially removes its files afaik, and leaves all the schedules, you have to remove all WOAI schedule bgls before FSX can switch from FS8 Emulator to true FSX.

It looks a though I am awash in AI aircraft, so something is working correctly. As for myschedules, it still is a mystery but irrelevant at this time. Understanding the underlying principles behind scheduling will give me something to chew on.

Thanks for your help,

Nick

The top priority of FS9 and FSX AI Player is that it is a rare case that an aircraft has to be deleted before your eyes. This is done in two steps. Trafficdatabasebuilder checks for every schedule, if it is likely to succeed, which means that it has a free parking from at least 1 hour before landing until 1 hour after departure of correct parking type and fitting radius, in case of FSX parkings that are far bigger are not accepted. If the trafficdatabasebuilder has any doubt on any of the legs of the flight, it will not compile it.

The FSX, when loading the flight, again makes on the fly checks, unfortunately undocumented, and only displays aircraft which pass all these tests. Microsoft ACES, when still existed, recommended to not fill more than 20% of the parkings of each Airport to have a good chance for all programmed flights to really happen. But I know that not all users are happy with 28 aircraft at Heathrow with full AI density - so we have to live with no show.