The simFlight Network Forums
Pete Dowson

AI landing lights weirdly above aircraft (with echoes below)?

Hi Burkhard,

I've an odd problem starting recently. All of the MyTraffic AI aircraft (and in fact some ground vehicles such as follow me cars) have their lights not positioned ON the aircraft image, but above it, detached. And there are fainter versions below the aircraft. It looks most odd.

I assume some sort of BMP or FX file has been corrupted someplace. But what and where? I have backups for everything but don't know what to change. Can you help, please?

Best Regards

Pete

That sounds like the same bug some people see, sometimes, when viewing user aircraft in spot view. The light effects appear a numbed of feet above the point where they are connected to the airframe.

I'm not sure anyone has actually found a cause or remedy for that yet, as it is not particularly repeatable.

Cheers,

Ian P.

That sounds like the same bug some people see, sometimes, when viewing user aircraft in spot view. The light effects appear a numbed of feet above the point where they are connected to the airframe.

Yes, like that but I'm not in spot view, just in normal views from the cockpit, like when waiting at a hold point for AI on approach.

I'm not sure anyone has actually found a cause or remedy for that yet, as it is not particularly repeatable.

Not repeatable? It is like that all the time now on my system!

The AES follow me vehicles also have their flashing lights a foot or more above the cabs, in the air. So I'm thinking it must be some general parameter somewhere affecting such effects. But I've no idea. there are so many files! (The GSX follow me's orange indicators are correct, however).

I reckon something I've installed has overwritten something which affects this, but how to locate it, I've no idea!

With Brkhard's experience with AI aircraft I had hoped he'd be able to give advice. Maybe he'll see this soon. Not sure where else to ask.

Regards

Pete

Hm, not really any idea - I had this on Airports when I had mesh addons and the Airport had ist own mesh - meshs in FSX are a nightmare because of the LOD System it is just not defined - but could be anything else too...

When I say not repeatable, Pete, I mean that it can happen one day and not the next, without having changed anything. Sometimes, which I have witnessed personally, you can cycle the views and the lights will move back to where they should be, or will have been there for weeks, then suddenly appear 10' above the wings for a random period, then jump back.

It's bizarre. I'll see whether I can find the really long thread that I was reading where people were trying to fault-find it.It's been going for as long as FSX has been around.

Cheers,

Ian P.

My experience with this "bug" is:  Since I started using FSX Acc 2.5years ago this problem was presented in my simulator. All the time!!! It NEVER disappeared !!!! And it is somehow depending on zooming.and distance from me. Last year I switched to P3D v1.4 and the same problem here.

Pete. Can you pinpoint when the change happened ? Maybe worth a System Restore to just before ?

No, I can't really. Been concentrating on getting more and more of the cockpit stuff working well. All I can say is that it happened some time in the last two or three weeks. I don't think system restore helps with FS's own files, only with Registry stuff. I'm pretty sure it much be something in one of the main Texture folders, or maybe Effects, I do have backups of these so I may try temporarily going back to one just to narrow it down a bit.

Hm, not really any idea - I had this on Airports when I had mesh addons and the Airport had ist own mesh - meshs in FSX are a nightmare because of the LOD System it is just not defined - but could be anything else too...

Mesh?  Hmm. Never thought of that. I'm using FS Ultimate Global mesh at present. Not sure how that could do it without many folks complaining, but I'll try disabling it in favour of SceneryTech mesh which I was using before.

When I say not repeatable, Pete, I mean that it can happen one day and not the next, without having changed anything. Sometimes, which I have witnessed personally, you can cycle the views and the lights will move back to where they should be, or will have been there for weeks, then suddenly appear 10' above the wings for a random period, then jump back.

It's bizarre. I'll see whether I can find the really long thread that I was reading where people were trying to fault-find it.It's been going for as long as FSX has been around.

Okay, thanks Ian. Here is is currently fixed, every day, every view. But I might try different mesh or an aiport way outside any mesh areas I have, just to check.

My experience with this "bug" is:  Since I started using FSX Acc 2.5years ago this problem was presented in my simulator. All the time!!! It NEVER disappeared !!!! And it is somehow depending on zooming.and distance from me. Last year I switched to P3D v1.4 and the same problem here.

Hmm. Interesting. Here it definitely didn't happen till relatively recently. I've not checked P3D yet.

Thanks all,

Pete

I've done a few searches at Avsim and cannot find the really long thread, unfortunately. I'm sure it was there, but there now seems to be no sign of it. There are a number of other threads where the response it just "it's a known FSX problem" without a whole lot else, but the big fault finding thread where people were actively trying to work it out seems to be AWOL.

If I find it again, I'll post it. The problem, as I remember it, was that everyone who was reporting it was reporting different conditions whereby it happened and/or fixed itself, thus making it next to impossible to fault find. There would have been a lot of useful information there for someone such as yourself, however, given your knowledge of the internals of the sim, which is why I'm a bit narked that I can't find it.

Cheers,

Ian P.

If I find it again, I'll post it. The problem, as I remember it, was that everyone who was reporting it was reporting different conditions whereby it happened and/or fixed itself, thus making it next to impossible to fault find. There would have been a lot of useful information there for someone such as yourself, however, given your knowledge of the internals of the sim, which is why I'm a bit narked that I can't find it.

Okay. Thanks for your efforts!

Pete

In the end we deal with a simulator that was patched twice in a hurry by a team fighting to survive half a decade ago, known to have a multitude of bugs, never compatible even with Windows Vista....

Pete,

Did you find out what was causing this anomally. I used to have this problem then it went away and now its back again but I haven't done anything to cause it :(

Graham

All MyTraffic models have the standard fx_xxx effects attached in the model, so fx_landing, fx_beaconh, fx_navgre etc. Since the models don't change, it must be the effect that changes, addons that override these effects or the textures used by this effect..

Did you find out what was causing this anomally. I used to have this problem then it went away and now its back again but I haven't done anything to cause it :(

YES! Only quite recently. It was caused by the HALO.BMP. So versions of this graphic , designed to control size of lights, has the main light off-centre in its set of 4 bitmaps. It is the off-centredness which causes that displacement!

See this thread on AVSIM:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/464374-ai-traffic-landing-lights-appear-well-above-the-aircraft-help-me-fix-this-please/

Ah, I see Graham already pointed that way!

Pete