The simFlight Network Forums
PhillyPennPilot

long startup time after MTX 5.4c installation

I'm just starting to use MTX 5.4c, and haven't yet had a lot of flying time with it runninf.  It did appear to install correctly, as I followed everything in the instructions carefully.  But I have noticed my startup time when I launch FSX has increased considerably.  It used to take maybe 30-45 seconds, but now takes at least 3-4 minutes.  :(

These words or warning struck me from the MTX Operation Manual regarding installation:

"During installation, only those aircraft models which are used for the DX10 schedules get unpacked, the remaining pre FSX-SP2 models are not expanded. You can do so later from the MyTraffic Communicator if you wish to use the DX9 schedules or the time machine. This saves disk space and more important shortens FSX startup time."

Sorry for the newbie question, but is there something I can do about the long start up time?  I guess I'm a little confused about the explanation from the MTX manual above.

Fyi, I have FSX Gold (which obviously has SP2 and Acceleration), but I don't use the DX10 preview mode.  Also (as I mentioned in a previous post), I'm just using the Spring 2012 schedules since it seems the newer 2013 schedule may cause problems, but other than that I'm using MTX pretty much with the default settings so far.

Thanks!

No that is normal, it takes FS time to load all those thousands of new aircraft models into its memory that come with MTX. The slower your PC and storage system the longer your loading times will be. My PC has SSD's in it and FSX still takes about 40 seconds to load with MTX installed, even longer for the very first load of the day. You might want to try defragmenting your hard-drives too.

Hmmm.  Well that's disappointing.  I don't have a SSD but hopefully will be getting one soonish.  I know that will help things, but in the mean time .... :(

Related to that:  This might be a newbie question, but since at this point I'm only flying in North America (and usually a pretty small part of it at that!) do I even need MTX to generate flight plans for all around the whole world?  Is there way to turn off or limit the schedules that won't interfere with with traffic in NA?

I guess what I'm really asking is does it affect performance (specifically my framerate) or the general use of FSX -- which I definitely think has slowed a lot since I installed MTX -- to have sooooo many flights being scheduled in parts of the globe that I'm just really never going to see during most of my flying?  I suppose I'm not sure if performance is only affected by the aircraft in my immediate view of my plane, or if my processor is also crunching the numbers for flights half way across the world.

After the default installation which I think went fine, with the Spring 2012 schedules loaded, with the low-res aircraft settings, and with traffic turned to about 20% for Commercial and 25% for GA, I'm definitely noticing a big hit to FPS.  I know it's inevitable for a program like this, but I'm wondering what I can do to help that.  Thanks!

It's not the flight plans that take the time to load, it's the aircraft.

At the start of every session and every time you select an aircraft, FSX reads every single aircraft in your SimObjects libraries - that includes ancillary ones such as the MyTraffic models. The more aircraft you have to load, the longer the sim takes to load.

The only way to reduce the load time would be to remove some, or all, of the MTX aircraft.

Regarding frame rate, it's purely about the amount of memory and processing power used to draw the AI. If you reduce the number of aircraft models used and the number of liveries displayed, you'll reduce your draw calls/memory load and your sim will run faster. There's no real way around that, unfortunately. FSX is a very seriously CPU bound application. ACES openly admitted that they got it completely wrong, assuming that core speeds would keep getting faster, rather than multiple, slower, cores being the future. FS11 would have corrected that, but it was never finished. Flight corrected some of the problems, but was hamstrung by other, corporate driven, even more critical errors until it was also canned. P3D may go multi-core at some point, but isn't yet. Until then, the only way to get FSX to increase frame rate is to turn down how much it has to draw!

Cheers,

Ian P.

FSX loads every aircraft it finds - so you either only have a few AI aircraft or it needs the time, no way around but improving the hardware...

Hmmm, ok.  I guess I was sort of hoping there'd be a way to, let's say, turn off the traffic for regions of the world that don't come into play at all.  So, if I fly exclusively in N.A., any flights going from Europe or from Asia, to N.A. would be generated, but flights from, let's say, Africa to Australia or flights only flying within Europe wouldn't be scheduled (or generated).

Anyhow, it's ok.  I realize I don't have an awesome gaming system so I know there's only so much I can do.  Thanks of the response though! 

The sim will only actually generate AI traffic in a small area around your aircraft, anyway. If you're flying in, say, Portugal, the sim doesn't even load traffic in France, let alone the US, China or Australia.

The AI file itself is not that big a problem. The problem, as said before, is the models and textures of all the aircraft. That's what uses the RAM and CPU time.  I suppose, in theory, you could disable any aircraft liveries in the areas you're not flying in, but that wouldn't be a simple job, either!

Cheers,

Ian P.

Gotcha.  Not a biggie.  Hopefully by the end of the summer I'll have a nice, zippy little gaming machine with an SSD ... and it won't be a big deal at all.  Cheers!