The simFlight Network Forums
GridNorth

FS Commander problems on networked laptop (solved)

I have a paid for and registered copy of FSUIP and I have recently downloaded the free version of FS Commander to see if it meets my requirements i.e. to run on a networked laptop other than the one running FSX.  When first loaded the application runs the Database Manager but it only gives me options to search for files on the local drive.  The file selection options stop at the root drive.  The networked laptop is running XP Service Pack 3 and other networking functions appear to be working OK so I can see the PC that is running FSX.

Thanks for the quick response.  I think the issue may be a networking problem.  I cannot see as far back as the root directory and therefore C:\FSX from the XP laptop, it only sees document, picture folders etc.so I can only map a drive as far as that.

Further info:

FSX De-luxe loaded in C:\FSX on PC running Windows 8.1

FSUIPC Version 4.929 currently running fine in FSX on PC running Windows 8.1

FS Commander Version 9.5.net (Build04 January 2014) on laptop running XP SP3

Provider and Airac Cycle - I don't even know what that means

Not too familiar with Windows 8 so not sure how to proceed.

Hi ???,

Have you shared the FSX drive on the server?
Did you assign all rights?
Do you've mounted the shared drive on the client?
Can you see the FSX drive on the client PC?
Do you have access to the mounted FSX drive?

Have you read the manual,
for example Chapter 2 DataBase Manager, especially the section "Updating airports for FSX in a network"?
Also the chapter "Appendix Network" ?

Volker

The simple answer is no but in my defense I have set up other client/server type apps that use FSX data  without having to do all of this, they just worked after installing both client and server software.

Read the manual?  Men hating reading manuals :-)

I have posted on another topic regarding this.  I'm having similar probs with getting FSC95 to recognise mapped network drives.  I followed instructions regarding mapping as Z drive but still no joy.  Fortunately I am running 3 instances of FSX with Wideview so was able to install FSC on one of these PCs.  With this arrangement it worked fine.  Still think this is a bug.

Regards, Chris

I've given up on trying to load this on a networked PC for the time being but I wanted to get an idea of what the package has to offer so  I haver attempted to put a copy on the PC that is running FSX.

I ran the Database Manager and all appeared to be OK but when I try to run FSC I get the error "Database for FS 2004 missing or incomplete.  Please choose different FS opr run DB Manager first"  I ran the DB Manager again but the same error appeared. Quite what this has to do with FS 2004 I'm not sure.

Volker you need to be aware.  When I first tried to run FSC, I  used the search facility on the Windows 8 specific touch screen symbols that appear on the right of the screen, I've forgotten their name for the moment. I then ran FSC9 and got the errors as reported.  If however I go the directory structure using explorer and run it from there it appears to work.

I don´t know, if you noticed, that Volker always addresses you as ???. Please have the courtesy to sign with your name, like we all do.

If you persist on not reading the manual (I quote:  Read the manual?  Men hating reading manuals  :smile: ), then you will continue having problems!

Regards

Terence

Regarding the manual, it was a tongue in cheek joke, hence the smiley.  I agree that one should read the manual this is not however what would normally be required just for installation of software I will however take that criticism on the chin and RTFM and make sure that,in future, I sign off with my name.

Sorry for not following forum etiquette, I will consider myself duly chastised.

Alan

Although I don't fancy much the respectless tone here, something in the user interface is terribly wrong, Volker:

The user manual, Chapter 20: 

After the Map Window has appeared, you can then manually connect to Flight Simulator by choosing
the menu GPS ® Connect to FS.
Provided Flight Simulator is already running when you start FlightSim Commander, you can directly
and automatically connect to Flight Simulator right after all databases have been loaded.
Consequently, the map will immediately show the position where your aircraft is located.
To choose this option, go to the Options Window and select the Display card. Check the box with the
label Direct connection with FS.

In my case with FSC just installed on a client, I spend half night trying to figure out why the airplane symbol didn't show up on the map!!

Checking again and again network connections, firewalls, etc. No luck.

I've already have had FSC for several years, but on an old PC client where this workaround wasn't present at the time for my first installation.

Now, however, I just bought a new PC and had to do a new install, already knowing the basics of the installation process and most all of the other manual stuff for now (until further study).

Really Volker this is not an ideal default start up with a missing airplane and AI traffic. The option of turning the connection to FS off might be practical in some special situations as an extraordinary option, but please don't present this to a new user as a default FSC start up!