The simFlight Network Forums
PhillyPennPilot

installation/starting from scratch (a basic, out-of-the-box setup)

This is sort of a newbie question about MTX and setting it up essentially for the first time. If I'm correct in my understanding about how to get things up & running quickly, this can act as a quick start guide for those, like me, who were really confused by the many features and the several different manuals that came with the product.  I like that MTX is so flexible, but I think it would be really helpful to have a simple guide for folks who just want to get their skies populated and get flying.

The steps I followed are listed below.  I guess just let me know if this will get me a good, basic, out-of-the-box type setup.  Honestly, I'm not looking to get fancy, to tweak specific schedules, or customize things too much.  I simply want a reasonable blend of traffic in the air that's somewhat reflective of what the skies are like; in my part of the world that's North America.  Anyway, here it goes:

1.  After everything seemed to initially install correctly, I moved a copy of TrafficDataBaseBuilder.exe into the MTX folder, and so in MTX Communicator the green box says it found the file.

2.  Before exiting the Communicator, I clicked Select Schedules > Autumn 2012 because I saw in the forums that the Spring 2013 schedules had some bugs. (I'm not too picky, so that's fine.)

3.  Because I wanted the most performance-friendly set up for my particular sub-optimal machine, I went to Configure My Traffic > Manage air craft configurations, I disabled Ground Animations and disabled Effect Light, and I checked the box for using simplified aircraft models.  Then I clicked the green "For All MY Traffic Aircraft" button.  Done.

4.  Next then I opened the My Traffic Editor application and clicked Create > Create schedules, files and traffic. I kept everything with their default settings. (So all boxes in the upper-left were checked, the year was set to 2012, Airliners = 25, GA = 1, Cargo = 20, Military = 1.  Also, the Direct X 10 only box was checked; even though I don't use use DX10 personally, I left this as is.  Was that a bad idea???)  Then I hit the Go on! button, and as you predicted it took a few hours to created all the schedules.

5.  I don't know if I needed to do this last step, but I did anyway:  I went to Create > Create all files and traffic, and I left it run for a few minutes.

And that was it!  I believe that was all I needed to do to get a basic, evenly distributed set up, but I'm not 00% sure.  Either way, the end result was the following schedule:

c646058e-b262-4182-9d03-fdbd345528c6_zps

Does this more or less look correct?  The only thing that struck me was the Number of scheduled flights was 0.  Is that normal?  Does that just refereed to customized scheduled flight -- which obviously I didn't create?   Hope so.

Any input would be great.  I'm going to play with the sliders in FTX and expect the results your explain in the manual.  I just waned to make sure this is what I needed to do to get things up & running.  Thanks!

p.s.  Forgot to ask.  So the resulting file that was created in the ...FSX\MyTraffic folder is called MTX_V54c.myt.  I'm assuming that's the one FSX will always read whenever I launch it going forward, correct?  I mean, there's nothing more I need to do to "tell" FSX to use that schedule, right?

Great thats what we need :)

I'm having trouble switching to schedule 2012 i've tried everything possible but i get this message -

my traffic x windows cannot access the specified device path or file. you may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item

p.s.  Forgot to ask.  So the resulting file that was created in the ...FSX\MyTraffic folder is called MTX_V54c.myt.  I'm assuming that's the one FSX will always read whenever I launch it going forward, correct?  I mean, there's nothing more I need to do to "tell" FSX to use that schedule, right?

Actually, no...FSX does not access the MTX_V54c.myt file.  That file is the database file where MyTrafficX stores its info on aircraft types, aircraft registrations, airport capacity data, etc.  If you import new airports or add aircraft, this database gets updated when you select "Save" before you exit MyTraffic.  Whatever info is stored in this database is what MyTrafficX uses to create the schedules.  The files FSX accesses are the compiled traffic files:

Mytrafficcommercial.bgl

Mytrafficmil.bgl

MytrafficGlobal.bgl

These are the files which are compiled when you ask MyTrafficX to "create schedules"...the ones that can take hours to generate.

Great thats what we need :)

I'm having trouble switching to schedule 2012 i've tried everything possible but i get this message -

my traffic x windows cannot access the specified device path or file. you may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item

Sounds like you have a UAC issue...I'd guess that you've installed FSX in the default location?  This can cause many headaches regarding "permissions".  Try turning off UAC, rebooting, and then do your work with MyTrafficX.  Once you're done, re-enable UAC, reboot and fly.

So  just to clarify, the procedure above is the "correct" (or at least one correct) way to get things set up & running if, like me, you don't want to do much customizing, no?  I just want to make sure I'm getting everything configured well enough to see semi-realistic traffic -- and also establish a simplified guide for anyone who was confused by the complexity of the manuals.  Also...

The only thing that struck me was the Number of scheduled flights was 0.  Is that normal?  Does that just refereed to customized scheduled flight -- which obviously I didn't create?   Hope so.

Is that supposed to be zero?

PhillyPen, in principle you did fine, but you could have stopped after step 3 ( which is only needed on old hardware to my obsevation). Using step 4, you exactly redid what I did for the 2012 schedules.

PhillyPen, in principle you did fine, but you could have stopped after step 3 ( which is only needed on old hardware to my obsevation). Using step 4, you exactly redid what I did for the 2012 schedules.

That's weird, because step two (picking the 2012 schedule) didn't really take all that long.  I don't remember exactly, but it definitely wasn't 2-3 hours, which is how long step 4 took.  I thought I remember the manual saying somewhere that if the process is conspicuously quick, it's possible schedules didn't actually get written ... but then again, I was a bit confused.

Just curious about something somewhat related.  Assuming you're doing a more or less default set up like I did above, how far to you have to push the sliders in FSX before you get somewhat realistic traffic density?  I know this obviously is going to vary from reality, but I wondering roughly how far is recommended to have them to get close to the real deal.  Just a ball park.  Thanks.

30-50% on those airports, where the majority of aircraft belong to airlines which have subsribed to the tracking programs. In regions which do not publish all data, higher.

30-50% on those airports, where the majority of aircraft belong to airlines which have subsribed to the tracking programs. In regions which do not publish all data, higher.

Thanks, Bukhard.  Does the GA traffic need to be set to the same amount as the commercial airliner traffic?  They both should be somewhere in that 30-50 region?  I am probably more likely to encounter GA as I tend to fly into and out of smaller airports, mostly in the Orbx FTX regions of North America.  Not sure if that makes a difference.

This completely depends on your taste, and the power of your computer. It makes sense to have similar numbers, but if you have performance problems reduction of one of the sliders might be the best solution.