The simFlight Network Forums

I don't know where to find the SDK provided by Microsoft for FSX

Fletch

Hi guys,

I appolagize if this has been mentioned at a nother location.

I have no computer experience or undertanding of computers, so please help.

i have windows 7 pro, i have FSX, I have My Traffic X Pro 5.4b .

I am having trouble with instructions to install.

I have looked through instructions and i don'yt think i am doing all steps right.

so far, i have installed My Traffic X onto computer, i have then i have done the next two steps with the Manage FSX Settings.

I have got a message saying Traffic Basebuider not yet copied..but i can not find my Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK\ TrafficDataBaseBuilder.exe.

My FSX path is simple.

E:/FSX STUFF

Thank you for your time and help.

kind regards Andrew

YhU0z.jpg

You need to get them from your original FSX disks.  They are not automatically downloaded into you system when you install them, so (assuming you have FSX Accel), as odd as it sounds, you have to insert disk one and literally drag & drop the SDK folder onto your desktop, install that one into a separate folder on your machine.  Once you've finished, you might as well do the same with SDK folder from the third (Acceleration) disk too, as it's a slightly newer version.  Once either/both are installed, your will see the above TrafficDataBaseBuilder.exe file which you need to copy/move as per the instructions above.

hi PhillyPennyPilot,

thank you for your advise and help,

I have copies and pasted both the FSX and Acceleration SDK files in there own folder [ for now] in Desktop. however i am a bit confused to know where the  TrafficDataBaseBuilder.exe file is as all i see is the following:

40QJq.jpg

am i missing something?

kind regards

Andrew

Just run the "installer file" in the first screenshot, entitled "Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK".

You'll then need to run the SP1 version (download from Microsoft), the SP1A version shown in the second shot and finally the Acceleration SDK. It's all a bit of a chore, I'm afraid, as you have to run them in turn and the first thing each one does is uninstall the previous one!!!!

Ian P.

Hi Grump old Mod,

thank you for your help.

i tried opening up Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK and it said i need to run exe.

so i did that and it just want to load FAX on my computer again?

i am not sure what i am doing wrong?

kind regards

Andrew

9Cs1.jpg

OK. Some of them you can run the MSI, some you have to run setup on... Yet another complication of the SDK installation!

The setup.exe in the SDK folder will only install the SDK, not FSX again. It may look similar, but it isn't.

Cheers,

Ian P.

Thank you again Ian,

I think we [ I am] getting there......slowly..lol

I have now installed the SDK file onto my computer. i can not see the TrafficDataBaseBuilder.exe file is it another folder?

thanks for your help.

kind regards

Andrew

9Ldj3.jpg

Thank you again Ian.

I have the green box now.

i have made sure that my traffic directory already is done.

but i still have no traffic?

I went to the ETAR airport but found no military aircraft and i have noticed ther is no tools bar in FSX either.

I have even tried adding the traffic folder to the sceanery liabrary in FSX but it can't find the right folder????

thank you for your time.

J7y0r.jpg

kind regards

Andrew

My suggestion is to check out this post, which is a checklist of (most) everything you need to do if your're not getting traffic.  Specifically, go over everything in the first page and make sure you're not overlooking something.  Then check out about the last 10 posts or so.  I chimed in there when I was where you're at now.  I hadn't inserted the scenery layer and that was cause of my lack of traffic.  NMaggio nailed it down for me in post #150.

Also, I started a thread with a super simplified checklist for installation here, which should get the right schedules going for you ... assuming you don't need anything fancy and just want an out of the box setup.  Hope that helps. Cheers.

Hello again,

I am going through the step by step instructions.

I noticed that my Aircraft folder  [ /SimObjects] has only got 13041 files in it when i do a properties check, but my scenery folder [E:/FSX STUFF/ Scenery] has 33,634 files in it when i do a property check.

I looked in my scenery/ world/ scenery folder and the two files are located in there [trafficboats.bgl.and trafficAircraft.bgl.passive] and there isn't any named the same.but there are other files in that folder.

I have looked in my FSC cfg file and the correct info is located in it.[ simobjectPaths.6= MyTraffic\aircraft]

So i followed the steps and Browsed to \MyTraffic and doubleclicked to runonce.bat and let it do it's thing. however, it stopped twice with two errors.

It's the second error that i think might be stopping the Traffic showing?

please see picture.

ofueU.jpg

thank you for your time and help

Me thinks you do not have sufficient user rights over the FSX and MyTraffic folder, so that files cannot be created, or existing ones cannot be overwritten.

Next situation that comes into mind is that the installer file got corrupted during download or on your computer.

What happens if you delete all the contents of the MyTraffic\scenery folder, and then run MyTraffic\MyTrafficaircraftinstaller\scenery.exe with a double click on it?

Hi again guys,

almost there, i can feel it.  lol

So far i think i am up to this stage and i am stuck..

3. Now it is time to start FSX. Go to the scenery library dialog, and check that MyTraffic got added as scenery, and that it is active ( the box is checked). If not, code S1

Solution S1. 

If the folder MyTraffic exists, and a folder MyTraffic\scenery exist, but you cannot add it to the scenery library, there is a problem with user rights. Ask your system administrator to give you the necessary user rights.

If it's an admin right thing how do i fix this please. i have Windows 7 pro. how do i alow admin rights and to what folder please.

thank you very much guys.

kind regards

Andrew

Hi guys i feel that i am almost there, i think that the last part required is where i am stuck now?

as mentioned before, i don't know how to fix it, i don't know if it is an admin thing, if so i don't know how to give rights to the correct folder / program to allow FSX to see the traffic folder in FSX Scenery library?

i tried two methods when in the FSX library , both did not open or find the correct folder it is looking for?  every time i click on the folder it opens it up to find another folder but it is empty?

please help.

kind regards

Andrew

pHCO4.jpg

If you read the short installation manual you will read that this is a known incompatibility between FSX and Windows Vista/7/8 and how to fix this. When the MyTraffic folder opens click onto an empty space in that folder and the window will close and the scenery be added.

Thanks Burkhard,

I have done this step "When the MyTraffic folder opens click onto an empty space in that folder and the window will close and the scenery be added."

but scenery did not worked , then i red that if i delete SCenery from the area shown in step 1 it will be added. as you can see in step two it is added to the FSX Scenery Library.

but it is still not working?

thank you for your time and help.

I have never had to spend so much time on installing a program before. i understand that i don't understand a lot about computers but this is a lot of stuffing around.

wemvX.jpg