The simFlight Network Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Richard Gaetti

Derate Modes <Solved>

due to derated takeoffs being rarely performed,...

Hi,

I just bought the all 3 calculators and I was wondering the same.

SAS nearly always use derated take offs, a combination of assumed temperature and derated engines (TO1)

So please consider.

Best regards,

Egbert Drenth

...SAS nearly always use derated take offs, a combination of assumed temperature and derated engines (TO1)

De-rated thrust and assumed temperature method may be used in combination and I will look into developing this feature. 

Thank you for your valuable feedback

Just out of interest, derated takeoffs are used at any airport (with enough runway) where there is a noise issue. Which means half of Europe, these days!

Ian P.

Derated takeoffs are used to limit the engine output, for example derating from 24K to 22K. This means that even if the pilots push the throttles all the way forward, max thrust available will be 22K - even though it's a 24K engine. Think of it as virtually changing the engines.

Assumed temperature tricks the engines that OAT is higher than it actually is, so the engines use this fake limit for setting the takeoff thrust. If the pilots decide to push the throttles to max, they will still have 24K on their disposal.

Just out of interest, derated takeoffs are used at any airport (with enough runway) where there is a noise issue. Which means half of Europe, these days!

Ian P.

When it comes to noise issues, only climb settings matter (altitude of setting climb thrust). Also, it is possible to get the same engine output for takeoff by: 1. using assumed temp only 2. de-rated engines + assumed temp ( note that second assumed temp, will be lower than the first). Differences are mentioned in the paragraph above.

Hello,

I wonder are the de-rates also available for the B737NG calculation tool or only B777 for now (request was made for both, link takes to 777 updates). I am just curious because this would be the dealbreaker for me whether to buy your product or not. Norwegian for example uses de-rated takeoffs on B738 all the time possible (meaning 90% of their flights).

Nicrative

Edited by Nicrative

Hello,

I wonder are the de-rates also available for the B737NG calculation tool or only B777 for now (request was made for both, link takes to 777 updates). I am just curious because this would be the dealbreaker for me whether to buy your product or not. Norwegian for example uses de-rated takeoffs on B738 all the time possible (meaning 90% of their flights).

Nicrative

Hello,

and welcome to the forum. TOPER 737NG currently does not support DE-RATE mode for takeoff calculations. I will consider implementing it in the near future.

Thank you for drawing my attention to the post with the link. I have changed it to reference the correct TOPER type.

Regards,