The simFlight Network Forums

Hello Pete

I am a fully registered user of FSUIPC.

I am slowly (very slowly as it turns out) building a home simulator bit by bit based upon a main windows 7 machine (other PC's will be used for instrumentation). I currently have loaded FSX and PMDG 737 but I am considering changing to P3D and iFly 737 - not sure at the moment but I do get a lot of crashes with FSX/PMDG.

I have several issues at present, I wonder if you might be able to assist:

1. I have purchased an EFIS from Cockpitsimparts. It looks good but I am having some difficulty in using offsets with the EFIS. When I switch to FSUIPC in FSX, the 'joystic' button is recognised but when I attempt to assign the buttons to the FS in the functions list, there are not sufficient options for all of the EFIS functions. For example, display range is simply refered to as INC and DEC. I cannot see how to use the FSUIPC to program specific ranges (5,10,20,40,80,160,320,640). Also the VOR 1 and VOR 2 switches do not have corresponding exact commands in the FS command list. Other buttons are similar although all of the more simpler push button switches work fine.

2. I have read up a bit on offsets and although I am a bit confused, I think that with some work I will be able to get this system working but is there anything produced that can take a beginner from start to advanced with regard to programming FSUIPC offsets and the like?

3. Is there a list of the FSX/FSUIPC offsets produced anywhere?

4. I have managed find a reference to FSUIPC SDK. What is this and can this help me?

5. Finally, I have been looking into how I can reproduce instrumentation on other PC's using WideFS and Sim Connect. I have managed to do this using Panel Builder software which is functional but not really authentic with the 737. I have been considering Project Magenta (seems a bit costly) but I have just come across the Aerosystem 737 software. This seems to be ok but it needs to have the FSX generic 737 loaded. As I wont be using the generic on screen panels, this is not a huge problem but I am wondering if I am limiting my options regarding using FSUIPC on a more basic aircraft. Shouldnt make that much difference I would have thought but I just wanted to ask your opinion before I go ahead and register this Aerosystem737 software.

6. Keeping my costs down a bit, I have just purchased a printed verion of the overhead panel. I intend to put a whole pile of switches etc into this panel and then use it eventually to interface with FSUIPC. Again a list of all commands and their offsets would be useful for when I finish this project.

Thanks in anticipation Peter

Kind regards

Alan H

1. I have purchased an EFIS from Cockpitsimparts. It looks good but I am having some difficulty in using offsets with the EFIS. When I switch to FSUIPC in FSX, the 'joystic' button is recognised but when I attempt to assign the buttons to the FS in the functions list, there are not sufficient options for all of the EFIS functions. For example, display range is simply refered to as INC and DEC. I cannot see how to use the FSUIPC to program specific ranges (5,10,20,40,80,160,320,640).

Also the VOR 1 and VOR 2 switches do not have corresponding exact commands in the FS command list. Other buttons are similar although all of the more simpler push button switches work fine.

The built-in controls for EFIS in FSUIPC only apply to the default FS 737 and Airbus. These are actually "hacked" in FS code, because almost all the EFIS functions on all aircraft are local to the specific aircraft gauge, they are not assignable FS controls. And they certainly will NOT be the same for either the PMDG 737NGX or the iFly.

PMDG have supplied a full range of specific custom controls which can be assigned. You need to refer to their SDK header file for the list.

For IFly737 I believe someone made a program, iFly2FSUIPC or similar to map offsets onto iFly functions, but I'm not sure about this.

You'll need to consult the respective forums for any add-on aircraft.

2. I have read up a bit on offsets and although I am a bit confused, I think that with some work I will be able to get this system working but is there anything produced that can take a beginner from start to advanced with regard to programming FSUIPC offsets and the like?

The process is not necessarily all via offsets. Many things use controls and simple assignments. And it will be completely different from aircraft to aircraft. building a cockpit is a long and complex process, and one that is generally never quite finished!  You might want to consider going for one of the ready-made cockpit solutions. iFly Cockpit Edition is one, but there 's also Project Magenta, ProSim737 and SimAvioics to consider.

3. Is there a list of the FSX/FSUIPC offsets produced anywhere?

For the standard ones, of course. Have you not looked in your FSUIPC Documents folder?

For add-ons they are responsible for their own offset assignments and documentation. 

4. I have managed find a reference to FSUIPC SDK. What is this and can this help me?

The SDK is for writing programs to interface to fSUIPC (SDK = Software Development Kit). I advise you to learn programming first,.

5. Finally, I have been looking into how I can reproduce instrumentation on other PC's using WideFS and Sim Connect. I have managed to do this using Panel Builder software which is functional but not really authentic with the 737. I have been considering Project Magenta (seems a bit costly) but I have just come across the Aerosystem 737 software. This seems to be ok but it needs to have the FSX generic 737 loaded. As I wont be using the generic on screen panels, this is not a huge problem but I am wondering if I am limiting my options regarding using FSUIPC on a more basic aircraft. Shouldnt make that much difference I would have thought but I just wanted to ask your opinion before I go ahead and register this Aerosystem737 software.

Sorry, I can't comment on the Aerosystem software. I've used Project Magenta up to now, which isn't limited to one aircraft type -- but you can't use it with either PMDG 737NGX or iFly737. In fact you can't use any other control software with those two.

I'm currently toying with ProSim737, which is limited to 737NG only, but that's what my cockpit is in any case. If you are 737NG specific it is worth a look. Again, not cheap though.

Pete

• 1 year later...

**** Would like to get one list in CSV format or other code readable format with offsets, their length, datatype read/write capabilities, and description

I see you posted a similar request in the FAQ subforum, which is not a Forum for support or requests, but a repository for answers to frequently asked questions, as are most places headed "FAQ"!

The list of offsets directly set by FSUIPC, rather than other programs, is provided for you as I pointed out. I really do not have time to make one in CSV form. You'd have to do that yourself.

However, if you look at the FSInterrogate package in the SDK you will see that Pelle Liljendal did a lot of work in that direction, creating an "FSI" file with the data displayed in his program. You could probably use that as a basis, maybe even export it from the program in a different form, but if you do please note that it is very much out of date now and still contains many errors, so you'd need to check against the official list quite thoroughly.

Pete