The simFlight Network Forums

New FSX:Steam Edition does not work with FSUIPC4

Hi Pete,

Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition was just released today via Steam (www.steampowered.com) and with it, a new SimConnect that apparently the FSUIPC4 installer doesn't understand. Any chances of getting an FSUIPC4 installer that'll work with it?

Regards,

Joshua Robertson (creator of FS Real Time)

3D Softworks Design Studios

www.3dsoftworks.net 

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a number of changes with FSX:SE compared to "legacy" FSX - registry keys are different, install locations are different, support file (AppData and My Dcocuments) locations are different. A number of add-ons will have real problems with this, even before you get into version numbers and Simconnect versions!

Obviously Pete will have to comment specifically regarding FSUIPC, but it will be a not insignificant change for developers to support FSX:SE and it may be a while, if ever, before a lot of add-ons are supported on it.

Ian P.

I purchased the Steam edition yesterday at the introductory price specifically so I could check and adjust the Installer. However, I was out all evening so I was unable to go further. I will be downloading it today and should be able to have a revised install package ready over the weekend if not before.

Pete

[ouch computer died -- see later message]

Unfortunately my development PC finally died this afternoon. There's been an intermittent mobo fault on it for a while and Ihave a replacement PC on the way, but it isn't due till next Tuesday, and by then I will be tied up with family for Christmas.

Then I'm away till 4th Jan. I'll get on to FSXSE as soon as I can after that, but it'll take me a day or two to get the new PC into shape -- and re-download FSXSE.

So, sorry , it could be around 9th Jan by the time I have something.

Sent from my iPhone!

Pete

I've managed to recover my Development PC enough to do some initial investigation. Originally I thought FSX SE compatibility was just going to be an installer revision, to find the right Registry entries and paths, but I now see that FSX has been recompiled with a later version of MS development tools, so it's going to be a bigger job than I thought. In other words, it is unlikely to be just a weekend job as I thought at first.

I'm afraid that even if things go well on this invalided PC, Christmas, New Year and family take precedence over the next two weeks. So the estimate of 9th Jan I gave above is still really the more realistic one. Sorry.

Pete

I can definitely say I eagerly await your revisions to FSUIPC Pete! I adore your product, and am finally in a position to be grateful financially. When you update this, I pledge I will pay for a copy so I can enjoy the enhanced feature of it, and support your amazing work! I've been using the "demo/sharewhare/whatever" version of it for a terribly long time (whatever came with the various mods I was using).

The modding community of MS FS products is pretty amazing.

I'm pleased to report that after a day of struggling (Friday) I got my development PC working well enough to do some work. I just dare not switch it off or I think it won't come on again!. It is crippled -- it won't run P3D because I had to substitute an older non-DX11 video card. but it was okay for testing with FSX and FSX-SE,

FSUIPC Version 4.938 is now available, and works as best as I can make it with FSX-SE. The installer copes with both ways FSX-SE installs (free-standing or alongside FSX Boxed), and all the hooks appear to work except for the full wind-smoothing fiddle (rarely used these days with such good weather programs), and the "G3D crash" patch. In the latter case the code in that area has changed and i'm not sure whether the fix would still be needed in any case.

Feedback on any of the FSUIPC facilities would be useful, but I may not deal with it now for a week or two! ;-)

Oh, the latest version of MakeRunways, also available, also copes with FSX-SE's possibly different SCENERY.CFG location too.

Happy Christmas!

Pete

I'm pleased to report that after a day of struggling (Friday) I got my development PC working well enough to do some work. I just dare not switch it off or I think it won't come on again!. It is crippled -- it won't run P3D because I had to substitute an older non-DX11 video card. but it was okay for testing with FSX and FSX-SE,

FSUIPC Version 4.938 is now available, and works as best as I can make it with FSX-SE. The installer copes with both ways FSX-SE installs (free-standing or alongside FSX Boxed), and all the hooks appear to work except for the full wind-smoothing fiddle (rarely used these days with such good weather programs), and the "G3D crash" patch. In the latter case the code in that area has changed and i'm not sure whether the fix would still be needed in any case.

Feedback on any of the FSUIPC facilities would be useful, but I may not deal with it now for a week or two! ;-)

Oh, the latest version of MakeRunways, also available, also copes with FSX-SE's possibly different SCENERY.CFG location too.

Happy Christmas!

Pete

About the FSUIPC Module, I couldn't install it to Prepar3D v2.4. It only found FSX and FSX Steam Edition.

I managed to successfully install 4.937 on Prepar3D v2.4. When I looked at the installer information for 4.938, it only shows Prepar3D directories as opposed to Prepar3D v2 directories. It is missing this:

Looking in registry for Prepar3D v2 install path:
     HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2
     Parameter"SetupPath"

I managed to successfully install 4.937 on Prepar3D v2.4. When I looked at the installer information for 4.938, it only shows Prepar3D directories as opposed to Prepar3D v2 directories. It is missing this:

Looking in registry for Prepar3D v2 install path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2

Parameter"SetupPath"

As reported in another thread , the 4.938 installer was fixed for this a couple of hours after I saw it reported, i.e. about 13 hours ago. Please download again!

Pete

Thank you.

By the way, I almost forgot about the installer for FSX Steam Edition. I got an error saying "Your FSX-SE installation is not suitable for this version of FSUIPC. You may need to install an update from Microsoft." However, it says that it installed into FSX-SE okay afterwards when in reality, it isn't. I also noticed from the installer this text:

INSTALLATION FOR FSX-SE:
SetupPath="D:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\"
Checking version of the FSX-SE EXE:
... Version 10.0.61637.0  (Need at least 10.0.62607.0)

According to this, the installer thought FSX-SE is the FSX directory despite it wasn't.