The simFlight Network Forums

New FSX:Steam Edition does not work with FSUIPC4

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have all the Saitek Panels and was having some trouble getting them to work even with the latest FSUIPC 4.938.  

However i clicked on the Saitek 2004 plugin driver just by chance and it works.  The only bug really is when i change the alt/vs dial i loose temporary display on the panel until i turn the adjust dial back or forth.

Just thought i would share this with you.

Hi Pete,

I'm one of the Devs that's working on FSX:SE and I'd like to ask you a question about the detection method you've used for FSUIPC.

Firstly, great job on getting it converted so quickly - it's really going to make a massive difference to the community to have this crucial piece of software working for them.

My question is how you're detecting the version for FSX:SE.  Specifically, the currently released version is 62607 - if this is incremented to 62608, will anything stop working with FSUIPC?

Unlike previously (largely static) versions of FSX, the FSX:SE version is going to be updated on a regular basis with improvements, bug-fixes and so on.

As you can imagine, keeping the version number the same for future releases will cause us various support problems but, equally, we don't want to break tools like FSUIPC when we release a new build.

Would it be possible for you to detect versions >= 62607 as valid versions of FSX:SE?

Roc

My question is how you're detecting the version for FSX:SE.  Specifically, the currently released version is 62607 - if this is incremented to 62608, will anything stop working with FSUIPC?

Unlike previously (largely static) versions of FSX, the FSX:SE version is going to be updated on a regular basis with improvements, bug-fixes and so on.

Yes, but because FSUIPC has hooks into FSX code it has to be modified every time you recompile with even minor changes. I have to check where the code has moved to and whether different registers, parameters, returns are being used.

This is why it will tell the user, during installation, that the version is greater than any known to FSUIPC and asks him to check for an update. It will still install, and may partially work -- or may crash FSX-SE.

As you can imagine, keeping the version number the same for future releases will cause us various support problems but, equally, we don't want to break tools like FSUIPC when we release a new build.

If you kept the version number the same despite there being changes it would be disastrous as FSUIPC would have no idea what to do and I no idea why things are going wrong or crashing. No, you must update version numbers, of course.

Pete

Okay, thnx Pete.

Are you able to build in some sort of detection at DLL load up time so that, for example, if FSUIPC is installed for 62607 it's okay.  However, we supply a Steam patch which updates it to 62608 so that the next time FSX:SE is run, FSUIPC can check and detect the new version and then fallback to an inoperable/disabled state so that it doesn't crash the game?

It'll be a nightmare from a support perspective if every time a new version of FSX:SE is released, it causes crashes for existing users.

Open to options here, especially if there are things we can do to make your integration life easier!

Roc

Finally found the entry. When I found "Wow6432Node" at the "SOFTWARE" section, I noticed some directories that are familiar. This time, I went to "Microsoft" section and found "Microsoft Games", where "Flight Simulator - Steam Edition" is. I found SetupPath. The directories do in fact, show "D:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\" rather than "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\".

EDIT: FSUIPC successfully installed into FSX Steam Edition. This is the log:

Installer for FSUIPC4.DLL version 4.938a

Looking in registry for FSX install path:
     HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0
     Parameter"SetupPath"
... >>>  OK! FOUND FSX!  <<< ...
     SetupPath=D:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\
Looking in registry for FSX-SE install path:
     HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator - Steam Edition\10.0
     Parameter"SetupPath"
... >>>  OK! FOUND FSX-SE!  <<< ...
     SetupPath=D:\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\
Looking in registry for Prepar3D install path:
     HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\LockheedMartin\Prepar3D
     Parameter"SetupPath"
Not there, so looking in:
     HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\LockheedMartin\Prepar3D
     Parameter"AppPath"
... NOT found! ...
Looking in registry for Prepar3D v2 install path:
     HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2
     Parameter"SetupPath"
... >>>  OK! FOUND Prepar3D v2!  <<< ...
     SetupPath=C:\Prepar3D v2\
===========================================================

INSTALLATION FOR FSX:
SetupPath="D:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\"
Checking version of the FSX EXE:
... Version 10.0.61637.0  (Need at least 10.0.60905.0)
Checking compatibility with installed SimConnect:
    Found SimConnect build 60905 (Original)
    Found SimConnect build 62607 (Steam Dec14)
    Found SimConnect build 61242 (SP1 May07)
    Found SimConnect build 61259 (Acc/SP2 Oct07)
Checking if there's already a version of FSUIPC4 installed in:
       D:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\FSUIPC4.DLL
... Version 4.938a found.
FSX Modules folder already exists.
Okay -- installed FSUIPC4 into "D:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\FSUIPC4.DLL"
Looking for the current user's Application Data path:
... found as "C:\Users\Junior\AppData\Roaming"
Now finding \Microsoft\FSX\FSX.CFG for all users, including this one
Looking in "C:\Users\All Users\AppData\Roaming"
 ... No FSX.CFG there
Looking in "C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming"
 ... No FSX.CFG there
Looking in "C:\Users\Default User\AppData\Roaming"
 ... No FSX.CFG there
Looking in "C:\Users\Junior\AppData\Roaming"
Found FSX.CFG in "C:\Users\Junior\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\FSX.CFG"
Now checking DLL.XML ...
... There is a previous DLL.XML, checking for FSUIPC4 section.
... FSUIPC4 section already exists but will be replaced.
     (for FSUIPC4, without Loader)
... FSUIPC4 section of DLL.XML written okay
Now checking for a SimConnect.XML file ...
... No SimConnect.XML file found. This is okay.
Looking in "C:\Users\Public\AppData\Roaming"
 ... No FSX.CFG there
"Modules\FSUIPC Documents" folder already exists.
Now installing additional files into the "Modules\FSUIPC Documents" folder:
   Installed "FSUIPC4 User Guide.pdf" okay
   Installed "FSUIPC4 for Advanced Users.pdf" okay
   Installed "FSUIPC4 History.pdf" okay
   Installed "List of FSX and P3D controls.pdf" okay
   Installed "FSUIPC Lua Library.pdf" okay
   Installed "FSUIPC Lua Plug-Ins.pdf" okay
   Installed "Lua License.pdf" okay
   Installed "Lua Plugins for VRInsight Devices.pdf" okay
   Installed "LuaFileSystem.pdf" okay
   Installed "Example LUA plugins.zip" okay
   Installed "ASN WX Radar facilities in FSUIPC4.pdf" okay
   Installed "Offset Mapping for PMDG 737NGX.pdf" okay
   Installed "FSUIPC4 Offsets Status.pdf" okay
   Installed "Profiles in Separate Files.pdf" okay

INSTALLATION FOR FSX-SE:
SetupPath="D:\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\"
Checking version of the FSX-SE EXE:
... Version 10.0.62607.0  (Need at least 10.0.62607.0)
    Found SimConnect build 60905 (Original)
    Found SimConnect build 62607 (Steam Dec14)
    Found SimConnect build 61242 (SP1 May07)
    Found SimConnect build 61259 (Acc/SP2 Oct07)
       D:\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\Modules\FSUIPC4.DLL
... No previous valid version found.
FSX-SE Modules folder created okay!
Okay -- installed FSUIPC4 into "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\Modules\FSUIPC4.DLL"
Now finding \Microsoft\FSX-SE\FSX_SE.CFG for all users, including this one
 ... No FSX_SE.CFG there
 ... No FSX_SE.CFG there
 ... No FSX_SE.CFG there
Found FSX_SE.CFG in "C:\Users\Junior\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE\FSX_SE.CFG"
Now checking DLL.XML ...
No previous FSUIPC4 entry found, so adding it now ...
 ... No FSX_SE.CFG there
"Modules\FSUIPC Documents" folder created okay!

INSTALLATION FOR Prepar3D v2:
SetupPath="C:\Prepar3D v2\"
Checking version of the Prepar3D v2 EXE:
... Version 2.4.11570.0  (Need at least 1.0.677.0)
       C:\Prepar3D v2\Modules\FSUIPC4.DLL
... Version 4.938a found.
Prepar3D v2 Modules folder already exists.
Okay -- installed FSUIPC4 into "C:\Prepar3D v2\Modules\FSUIPC4.DLL"
Now finding \Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\Prepar3D.CFG for all users, including this one
 ... No Prepar3D.CFG there
Found Prepar3D.CFG in "C:\Users\Junior\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\Prepar3D.CFG"
Now checking DLL.XML ...
... FSUIPC4 section already exists but will be replaced.
     (for FSUIPC4, without Loader)
"Modules\FSUIPC Documents" folder already exists.
Now installing the Prepar3D SimConnect interface for FSUIPC4 into the "Modules" folder:
   Installed "SimConnectP3D2.dll" okay

Finally found the entry. When I found "Wow6432Node" at the "SOFTWARE" section, I noticed some directories that are familiar. This time, I went to "Microsoft" section and found "Microsoft Games", where "Flight Simulator - Steam Edition" is. I found SetupPath. The directories do in fact, show "D:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\" rather than "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\".

EDIT: FSUIPC successfully installed into FSX Steam Edition. This is the log:

Good. I forgot that some of these things can be hidden under those "Wow6432Node" things. Wasn't so in my case. I don't know why ... my regedit doesn't show that layer. Maybe it's to do with privileges, UAC or some other option which I've disabled. The layer isn't used in programs accessing keys like that either, so I think it is solely concerned with protection -- otherwise known as "confusing users"! ;-)

I still don't understand how the wrong link ended up there. Must have been some sort of hiccough during Steam FSX installation.

Regards

Pete

Are you able to build in some sort of detection at DLL load up time so that, for example, if FSUIPC is installed for 62607 it's okay.  However, we supply a Steam patch which updates it to 62608 so that the next time FSX:SE is run, FSUIPC can check and detect the new version and then fallback to an inoperable/disabled state so that it doesn't crash the game?

Such protection is already there as far as I can do it. It shouldn't crash, as it checks the hook positions every time and simply doesn't put the hook in if it doesn't get a binary match to the position. But it can't work miracles. For example, it also calls a number of functions by ordinal. If you insert another function in such a way that all the ordinals afterwards change number, there's no way I can detect that and avoid calling the wrong function. Similarly if, on a recompile, a function being hooked internally uses different registers for parameters or, worse, pointers, I can't detect that either. All I can do it try to fail gracefully.

Currently it only checks the version number of the EXE. If you only release actual changed modules, so that unchanged ones stay with the same version number, then I could, instead, check the specific modules I link into. That doesn't solve the problem, but it might make it a lot easier to deal with.

There is another way, one whch could remove the need even for FSUIPC to check versions, other than >= 62607. That is

( a ) providing the hook entries I need by exported names

( b ) exporting the function ordinals I need by name instead.

I did discuss this with the Prepar3D team, and they were going to do something about it, but seem to have become too busy doing other things. Originally, all the things I am doing were on Dave Denhart's list for attention in developing versions of the SimConnect interface, but that was before the money men took over at Microsoft.

If you want to discuss all this further it might be better to do so by email: petedowson@btconnect.com. I'd really be delighted if we could solve this together. I don't want to have to keep doing these forced updates forever ... getting too old! ;-)

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

I just tried installing this 38b update on a Steam Edition, and it's failing.  The error is the simconnect version.  It's telling me that my simconnect version of 10.0.62607.0 won't work.  "Need at least 10.0.606905.0" is what it says.  Did it update since this was fixed?

Also, simconnect installs new everytime I run FSX-SE from Steam.  Not sure if that is the problem.

Hi Gary,

There's an update to FSX:SE coming out on Monday along with a new version of FSUIPC (38c, I think).

However, in the meantime, you can try the following:

1. Go to Control Panel, Programs & Features.

2. Uninstall any version of SimConnect with a version number of 10.0.62601 or greater.

3. In your steamapps folder, find the SimConnect.msi installer and run it manually.  If you have UAC enabled, you will need to confirm the elevation prompts, etc.

4. Run FSX:SE as normal from Steam.

Roc

I just tried installing this 38b update on a Steam Edition, and it's failing.  The error is the simconnect version.  It's telling me that my simconnect version of 10.0.62607.0 won't work.  "Need at least 10.0.606905.0" is what it says.  Did it update since this was fixed?

Something is wrong, then. It should be quite happy with the 62607 version -- it sounds like it is not finding any version of SimConnect.

Did you install FSX-SE free-standing, or is it side-by-side with FSX?

Also, simconnect installs new everytime I run FSX-SE from Steam.  Not sure if that is the problem.

Ah! That will be the problem. SimConnect evidently is not installing correctly. Take a look in your Windows\WinSxS folder, search there for SimConnect. If you only have FSX-SE installed, no FSX, it should find one SimConnect.dll entry, with the number 62607 somewhere in the folder name.

You could try running its SimConnect installer separately. It's the SimConnect.msi file in your

Steam\Steamapps\Common\FSX\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\Simconnect SDK\lib folder.

Whilst near there you might also want to install the three legacy Simconnect modules, as you'll no doubt one day encounter other add-ons which are more specific in their needs than FSUIPC (FSUIPC works with any version it knows about, it just prefers the latest one). You'll find SimConnect.msi installers in the

Steam\Steamapps\Common\FSX\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\Simconnect SDK\LegacyInterfaces folder.

Please remember to report the failure of SimConnect to install to Steam / DoveTail on the FSX-SE forum in the Steam interface.

[LATER] I see Wartortle beat me to it with good advice too!

Pete

Just installed Steam by itself.  No CD version of FSX.  Just bought steam this last weekeend.

I tried reinstalling last night.  The simconnect "installed" (no error message), but it still re-installs every time still (with no error message).   Also tried installing the simconnect installer and legacy programs in SDK, and none of them will install.  They just gave me an error message ("An error occured during the installation of the assembly"). 

Seems my problem is the simconnect itself.  Not sure if steam, or simconnect or computer.  Googling didn't find much useful info. I'm on Windows 7 if that makes a difference.  But the issue seems to no be your program.

I have several controllers that I want to use with FSX and your program seems to be the best way to do it.  Most of them are home built button boxes I built for racing simulation.  Also, have a yoke and throttle coming to replace my joystick.

Thanks for the help!

Just installed Steam by itself.  No CD version of FSX.  Just bought steam this last weekeend.

I tried reinstalling last night.  The simconnect "installed" (no error message), but it still re-installs every time still (with no error message).   Also tried installing the simconnect installer and legacy programs in SDK, and none of them will install.  They just gave me an error message ("An error occured during the installation of the assembly"). 

Seems my problem is the simconnect itself.  Not sure if steam, or simconnect or computer.  Googling didn't find much useful info. I'm on Windows 7 if that makes a difference.  But the issue seems to no be your program.

You definitely need to get SimConnect installed. Most add-ons depend on it. You'll need to ask Steam / DoveTail on the FSX-SE forum on Steam I think.

Pete

Could you find the log (or logs) in your Steam/Logs folder, zip them up and send them to me (petedowson@btconnect.com), so I can send them to DoveTail? They don't know why this problem is happening.

In addition to the logs in Steam\Logs, please include Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

Pete

Sorry to get back to this late.  I resolved the problem.  It was a Windows update gone bad involving a .NET update.  Once I resolved the Windows update issue (getting them installed), SimConnect and FSUIPC installed without a hitch.  Spent 3 hours trying to "fix" the install.  Below is the link detailing the issue and resolution the if anyone else runs into something similar.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_update/windows-7-update-fails-with-code-80070308/f5b42dbc-3776-4051-beb2-f4d211bb0681

Sorry to get back to this late.  I resolved the problem.  It was a Windows update gone bad involving a .NET update.  Once I resolved the Windows update issue (getting them installed), SimConnect and FSUIPC installed without a hitch.  Spent 3 hours trying to "fix" the install.  Below is the link detailing the issue and resolution the if anyone else runs into something similar.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_update/windows-7-update-fails-with-code-80070308/f5b42dbc-3776-4051-beb2-f4d211bb0681

Thanks for getting back with the answer. It's a relief to know it isn't The Steam installer!

Pete