The simFlight Network Forums

FSX:SE g3d.dll error is back...

Hello Sir,

I have your excellent FSUIPC v.4938a (payed version) and since installing FSX:SE (stand alone) no other Flightsim installed at the moment - I have the g3d.dll errors again...

Hopefully you will be able to do your magic once again to prevent the g3d.dll error also in FSX:SE

kind regards

Oberwinkler Richard

Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: fsx.exe, Version: 10.0.62607.0, Zeitstempel: 0x548b7186
Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: g3d.dll, Version: 10.0.62607.0, Zeitstempel: 0x548b71c0
Ausnahmecode: 0xc0000005
Fehleroffset: 0x00077e35
ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0x1024
Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01d0241a001ff839
Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FSX\fsx.exe
Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FSX\g3d.dll
Berichtskennung: 31946252-9011-11e4-ab9a-c860008a53fc

My opinion on this is that if Dovetail are selling this (FSX) as an ongoing concern they should fix this problem themselves rather than expect Pete to fix/fudge it. If they aren't able to fix it then they shouldn't be selling FSX at all.

Sure, you are totally wright. I just so have the feel that Pete is more competent.... since he was able to solve it in the original version, my guess is he knows what to look for....

regards

Richi

Hi Richi

I have the same problem, I used to get them in FSX boxed version which FSUIPC cured but unfortunately Peter has not been able to apply the same fix to SE.

So far, after several days of trying to cure the problem, I uninstalled ORBX England and had a full day without errors, I have not seen anyone on the orbx forums having the same problems so it is not a product wide problem.

Steve

Hi Richard

The only way I found was to disable region in scenery library then delete the folders manually 4 of them I think,

I have just had a search on Google and for England I'm sure it was these I have copied and pasted

ORBX\FTX_EU\FTX_EU_ENG_08_CUSTOM

ORBX\FTX_EU\FTX_EU_ENG_07_MESH

ORBX\FTX_EU\FTX_EU_ENG_06_CVX

ORBX\FTX_EU\FTX_EU_ENG_05_SCENERY

Hope that helps

Steve

Hi Richard

The only way I found was to disable region in scenery library then delete the folders manually 4 of them I think,

I have just had a search on Google and for England I'm sure it was these I have copied and pasted

ORBX\FTX_EU\FTX_EU_ENG_08_CUSTOM

ORBX\FTX_EU\FTX_EU_ENG_07_MESH

ORBX\FTX_EU\FTX_EU_ENG_06_CVX

ORBX\FTX_EU\FTX_EU_ENG_05_SCENERY

Hope that helps

Steve

This still leaves the various BAT batch files in the Scripts folder and possibly elsewhere.

My issue is that I am getting multi-second pauses inflight flying around the Ducford area in the EU scenery. I enabled my North America regions with the Northern California addition and flew around San Francisco OK but encountered a long 'paue' when I flew on toward SFO.

I'm not sure what is causing these 4-5 second pauses but I need to track the source down. I enabled the 'show missing library' and 'show missing texture' features in my FSX-SE.cfg file and did see some strange reports...."Unable to load texture <several different names>.DDS and on inspection of a couple of my libraries that are enabled in my Scenery.cfg I found those textures to be present! That disturbs me.

I also noted that a 'fix' I had done in FSX to remove a OrbX-created lake in the miiddle of my custon UKBA scenery was not working in FSX-SE. It was a simply Land Class Poly created in SBuilder X so it SHOULD work in FSX-SE. A couple of other similat LC Polys in the same area do appear to be OK.

Paul

Here is a sample Event Log from my PC:

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.62607.0, time stamp: 0x548b7186
Faulting module name: g3d.dll, version: 10.0.62607.0, time stamp: 0x548b71c0
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000c7c23
Faulting process id: 0xfc0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d026f8362f2ac2
Faulting application path: G:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FSX\fsx.exe
Faulting module path: G:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FSX\g3d.dll
Report Id: 139bf56f-92ef-11e4-8619-74d4351dc2b2

I get the feeling that the error is related to alpha channels as I only seem to get it with self-made textures. My painting tool is GIMP 2.8.x with the .dds plugin and I export any texture directly from there into DXT5 format. While the texture shows up nicely in FSX (any version) and ImageTool (Acceleration version), the latter will always display "Unknown" in the alpha channel info field. Exporting into .psd format and then converting the texture into .dds within Imagetool (or with its batch mode) produces a texture with a correctly identified alpha channel.

Hope this info helps.

The way I found it was flying from Zurich to Naples several times no error, but as soon as I tried Gatwick to Leeds in uk I got an error, after disabling England no error but I do have openLC Europe, Vector and Global so not a great loss for me.

Perhaps a problem with PNW for you, hopfully as you mentioned earlier Peter may find a solution

Steve

Hi,

No problem - I just decided that FSX:SE is just a biest as good old FSX was - no big difference - except i know the old beast pretty well - and can live with those flaws.

Anyway - moving back to P3D

maybe I'll give it a try after a few updates again.... and with PMDG and ORBX supporting it....

regards

Richi

I tried SE because I miss the PMDG ngx which hopfully they will have sorted next week, with P3D I get too many OOM which I haven't had with SE, now after finding g3d errors with orbx England I wonder if it was that causing my OOM.

Steve

But trust me, I got FSX:SE to OOM rather easy - its just the same programm as FSX........ Put heavy scenery and Aircraft - and it fails.......... I'll put my money on P3D.... :mrgreen:

regards

richi

They've fixed some of the code that caused OOMs - FSX:SE releases memory after use that "FSX DVD" does not - but ultimately yes, it's the same FSX with most of the same problems. Having said that, so is P3D, which is also still only a 32-bit application and thus very memory-limited for the amount of load we put on it with complex add-ons and high-resolution textures.

However, P3D is no longer the only game in town. Dovetail are only distributing FSX. They are also developing their own sim in the "MSFS" line - supposedly for release this year, although that seems a very short development cycle to me.

Interesting times lie ahead!

Ian P.

Here is a sample Event Log from my PC:

I've looked at the code in Steam's G3D.DLL for both this place and the previous one, reported earlier in the thread (which was different).  Neither are in any way related to the same bug I patched in FSX and P3D. These two appear to be just other examples or the many we had reported in FSX, none of which were patchable.

Please just report all of them in the FSX-SE forum on Steam.

Pete

However, P3D is no longer the only game in town. Dovetail are only distributing FSX. They are also developing their own sim in the "MSFS" line - supposedly for release this year, although that seems a very short development cycle to me.

Are you sure DTG's "own sim" is not ongoing development of FSX? That's what they appear to be saying, that there will be automatic updates via Steam to the FSX-SE they've released already. This is why they are interested in getting FSUIPC4 and FSX-SE more cooperative (see another thread near here), else each time they do an automatic update, FSUIPC will either crash or at best fail sedately.

Pete

Hi Pete,

Thanks for having a look.

Me personally - I'm out of Steam and back to P3D.... if only PMDG would hurry a little... :neutral:  it would be a lot easyer to put FSX aside totally.....

I had just as manny errors in the SE edition as in good old FSX.... well maybe VAS and FPS was a little better, however P3D is still miles away - and there is no PMDG for both of them at the moment.... so P3D it is for me... ;-)

In FSX:SE I had the ntdll.dll, g3d.dll and OOM's back - so no big difference to normal FSX wherre at least I know why and how to handle them....

regards

Richi

Me personally - I'm out of Steam and back to P3D.

I'm afraid I still don't like P3D enough to move over. It doesn't look so good to me, and performance is worse on my system.

I had just as manny errors in the SE edition as in good old FSX.... well maybe VAS and FPS was a little better

I've never had an OOM problem. Maybe because I don't have any cockpit -- my cockpit is all hardware, so nothing on screen. And for my FSX-SE is quite significantly faster, so much so that I can shove more sliders up. However, I'm waiting on ASN because I'm not going anywhere without it's quality weather and WX Radar in Prosim737.

In FSX:SE I had the ntdll.dll, g3d.dll and OOM's back - so no big difference to normal FSX wherre at least I know why and how to handle them....

Odd than in all these years I've never had any real errors in FSX which I couldn't track down to video drivers or bad scenery / texture files. And then only a couple of handfuls in all 8-9 years of FSX. Lucky I suppose, plus the fact that I only fly one aircraft -- a 737 based on the default -- and without it's graphics cockpit. I've got lots and lots of sceneries, especially airports, but again only in Europe and near-Europe Middle East and North Africa. Still not gotten around to flying to them all! ;-)

Pete

Hi Pete

Just out of interest does this event log mean anything,

I understand you are very busy catching up so please dont worry if it doesn't mean anything different to the others

Faulting application name: fsx.exe, version: 10.0.62607.0, time stamp: 0x548b7186

Faulting module name: g3d.dll, version: 10.0.62607.0, time stamp: 0x548b71c0

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x000c7bda

Faulting process id: 0x1918

Faulting application start time: 0x01d022be03f2b401

Faulting application path: D:\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\fsx.exe

Faulting module path: D:\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\g3d.dll

Report Id: 788b1fe7-8eb2-11e4-a6ec-74d02b2afa7f

I will as you sugested post on the steam forum when I get chance

Many thanks

Steve

Just out of interest does this event log mean anything,

It is actually closer -- the code is similar, but different, to the place in FSX which I patched. The function is different -- one parameter instead of two. So I'm not sure if i can patch that one or not. If it looks like it occurs a lot and DTG don't want to know, I might look at doing it. But I'd much rather not. DTG have already warned me that FSX-SE is going to change regularly, which will mean a lot of work for me each time unless I can sort things out with them. The problem will be rather complex. I doubt if it will be a user's choice whether his FSX-SE is updated -- it might be automatic, when Steam is connected. And then add-ons which hook internals, like FSUIPC, will crash, or at least not work. i am trying to sort out a method of dealing with this at present, and adding more hooks and patches seems counter-productive from that point of view.

Pete

Pete, are DTG willing to discuss their development plans / issues with yourself, rather than you trying to pick up the pieces. Are you in correspondence with them. Seems that might be the best way forward for everyone?

Just a thought!

Stuart