The simFlight Network Forums

METAR Format

mmaier

Hallo Paul

I,m using your new FSUIPCClient.dll 3.0.5358.4.

With ws.GetMetarAtLocation(ICAO) i get a METAR-String.

For Example: The Wind-Speed and Wind-Directon

This looks like 25006KT&D920NG or 27019KT&A1539NG

250 / 270 Degrees and 6 / 19 Knots Speed.

But was is the 2. Part of this Strings &D920NG / &A1539NG

Google givs me no Answer, maybe i'm looking wrong.

Best Regards

Manfred

Hi Manfred,

The METAR strings are returned directly from the SimConnect interface (via FSUIPC). These contain extended data used by SimConnect in addition to the standard METAR codes. The extensions tend to start with &.

&D920NG means the (D)epth (height) of the wind layer is 920 metres, the turbulence is (N)one, and wind shear is (G)radual.

The &A is for winds above the surface layer and specifies the altitude in metres (in your example 1539m),

The official specification of the SimConnect METAR string can be found here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/cc526983.aspx#Metar_Data_Format

If you want a clean, standard METAR string then you can either build one from the SimConnect METAR, or create your own from the information in the FsWeather object e.g.:

FsWeather weather = ws.GetWeatherAtLocation(IACO);

Paul

• 3 years later...

Hello Paul,

I have another doubt.

Are both depth and altitude  represented by the Upper Altitude parameter (defined as UpperAlt in NewWeather.h)?

I am trying to read the depth/altitude values for Global weather using fsuipc and the offset class from the FSUIPCClient made available by you. 

On comparison with SimConnect's Metar string for global weather, I get the correct depth values (Last set global wind upper Alt - offset C4fc). But i am getting wrong altitude values (in this case there are 2 aloft winds and I am accessing the offsets C50C and C51C)

2 hours ago, mer said:

On comparison with SimConnect's Metar string for global weather, I get the correct depth values (Last set global wind upper Alt - offset C4fc). But i am getting wrong altitude values (in this case there are 2 aloft winds and I am accessing the offsets C50C and C51C)

Please use the Weather logging in FSUIPC's Logging tab, and show the part you think is wrong. Weather logging shows both the METAR strings received and their decoding.

Pete