The simFlight Network Forums

Problem with Axis assignment

I'm trying to configure my CH Throttle quadrant for use with the A2A B377 Stratocruiser. For this plane I try to make the most left lever (normally assigned to throttle 1)  to control the RPM since the B377 has one lever at the left for this. Then I want to assign the next four levers to throttle 1-4 and finally the rightmost lever as mixture. Important is that his should only apply to this specific plane. I go to FSUIPC Axis assigment tabs to do this. I have problem with the rightmost lever configured as mixture. First the lever can not set the mixture to the full range (unlike rpm and throttle levers). But in VC I see the mixture lever move between fully forward to slightly back when moving the physical lever over its full range. Also when going to calibration I see the value is zero at fully back position and the slightly ahead of the detent it goes to max 16834 and stays there. I have checked no other axis of any controller being assigned to mixture. Also if I move the mixture lever in the VC manually fully back I notice that moving lever 5 (throttle 4) makes the mixture lever in VC move forward. I don't understand why.

Another problem here. According to the manual I removed all axis assigments for the throttle quadrant in FSX own axis assigment menue. This resulted in my other planes not being able to use the throttle quadrant so the B377 specific configuration also affected other planes. Do I understand things correctly that I would need to make profile specific configuration for all my individual planes ?

I'm trying to configure my CH Throttle quadrant for use with the A2A B377 Stratocruiser. For this plane I try to make the most left lever (normally assigned to throttle 1)  to control the RPM since the B377 has one lever at the left for this. Then I want to assign the next four levers to throttle 1-4 and finally the rightmost lever as mixture. Important is that his should only apply to this specific plane. I go to FSUIPC Axis assigment tabs to do this. I have problem with the rightmost lever configured as mixture. First the lever can not set the mixture to the full range (unlike rpm and throttle levers). But in VC I see the mixture lever move between fully forward to slightly back when moving the physical lever over its full range. Also when going to calibration I see the value is zero at fully back position and the slightly ahead of the detent it goes to max 16834 and stays there. I have checked no other axis of any controller being assigned to mixture.

All this sounds like the usual problem of an axis being configured in the Registry or in Windows game controllers as a digital not an analog axis. You need to sort that out first. Go to game controllers, or whatever CH control program you might otherwise be using, and get it working properly there first.

Also if I move the mixture lever in the VC manually fully back I notice that moving lever 5 (throttle 4) makes the mixture lever in VC move forward. I don't understand why.

Assuming there's no cross-talk in the device the most usual reason for such behaviour is that you have assignments in FS still whilst trying to assign in FSUIPC. You MUST disable controllers completely in FS if you want to assign in FSUIPC.

Another problem here. According to the manual I removed all axis assigments for the throttle quadrant in FSX own axis assigment menue.

No, best always to disable controllers completely, else FS will automatically reassign.

This resulted in my other planes not being able to use the throttle quadrant so the B377 specific configuration also affected other planes. Do I understand things correctly that I would need to make profile specific configuration for all my individual planes ?

You cannot possibly have any assignments in FS if you want to assign in FSUIPC. There is not way FSUIPC can disable FS control just because you load a different aircraft. It can only control assignments made in its own system.

But you don't need to create profiles for all the rest. If mostly you want the same assignments make them for one of the other aircraft without selecting Profile Specific. They will then be the general assignments, applicable to all non-profiled aircraft.

Pete

All this sounds like the usual problem of an axis being configured in the Registry or in Windows game controllers as a digital not an analog axis. You need to sort that out first. Go to game controllers, or whatever CH control program you might otherwise be using, and get it working properly there first.

Assuming there's no cross-talk in the device the most usual reason for such behaviour is that you have assignments in FS still whilst trying to assign in FSUIPC. You MUST disable controllers completely in FS if you want to assign in FSUIPC.

No, best always to disable controllers completely, else FS will automatically reassign.

You cannot possibly have any assignments in FS if you want to assign in FSUIPC. There is not way FSUIPC can disable FS control just because you load a different aircraft. It can only control assignments made in its own system.

But you don't need to create profiles for all the rest. If mostly you want the same assignments make them for one of the other aircraft without selecting Profile Specific. They will then be the general assignments, applicable to all non-profiled aircraft.

Pete

I use CH control manager and there are no way to configure an axis as digital or analogue. The levers are analog and can be calibrated. But reaching the detents is registered as pressing a button.

I have disabled controllers by unchecking that box in the windows menue.

Still the mixture levers behaves as before.

Also when configuring my rudder pedals the result is that pressing left rudder makes right rudder move in the cockpit and corrrespondingly for right rudder.

The A2A config utility made it possible to assign axes like Turbo Lever and steering wheel. These settings were lost by disabling controllers. In FSUIPC no axe like turbo lever is listed. There was a tiller like axe which would correspond to the steering wheel but that didn't work

I use CH control manager.

The A2A config utility made it possible to assign axes like Turbo Lever and steering wheel. These settings were lost by disabling controllers. In FSUIPC no axe like turbo lever is listed. There was a tiller like axe which would correspond to the steering wheel but that didn't work

That could be your main problem. I don't know it, but many folks have said that it isn't compatible with any sort of direct assignment in FSUIPC. Try without it.

Also when configuring my rudder pedals the result is that pressing left rudder makes right rudder move in the cockpit and corrrespondingly for right rudder.

That's just a case of simple axis reversal. Please see the options you have in calibration.

All axes are available in FSUIPC for assignment, you are simply not recognising which are which. Use FSUIPC's logging facilities to see which ones you need to assign to for your specific aircraft. I can't help you with that aircraft. I don't have all aircraft and there are too many variations. Certainly there's a steering axis assignable in FSX controls (new to FSX, it didn't exist in FS9). The FSUIPC direct tiller axis uses the rudder axis internally.

I'm not trying to persuade you to use FSUIPC for assignments. It sounds like you really don't want to, in which case please don't.

Pete

That could be your main problem. I don't know it, but many folks have said that it isn't compatible with any sort of direct assignment in FSUIPC. Try without it.

That's just a case of simple axis reversal. Please see the options you have in calibration.

All axes are available in FSUIPC for assignment, you are simply not recognising which are which. Use FSUIPC's logging facilities to see which ones you need to assign to for your specific aircraft. I can't help you with that aircraft. I don't have all aircraft and there are too many variations. Certainly there's a steering axis assignable in FSX controls (new to FSX, it didn't exist in FS9). The FSUIPC direct tiller axis uses the rudder axis internally.

I'm not trying to persuade you to use FSUIPC for assignments. It sounds like you really don't want to, in which case please don't.

Pete

I do want to use my controllers in the most possible realistic way. This means different use of the levers depending on airplane type. For example four engines planes like the B377 one lever for each engine. In twin engine as the default setup for the quadrant. I don't see how I could do that without FSUIPC profile specific assignment. My problem is to make it work as intended.

I disabled everything in the A2A configure utility. My problem right now

I have no clue as to why the lever assigned to mixture behaves like button that changes the value from 0 to 16384. EDIT have also noticed that this lever behaves in the same way in both P3D 2.4 and FSX-SE. And in those sims I use the sims own control assignment. But the lever seems normal in CH control manager program.

I have problem setting up assignment for my rudder pedals but I think I understand why here. When assigning those axes it's hard to have the correct axis identified. For example when moving the rudder pedals the brakes are detected instead. Also one thing that seem strange for me as that in the calibration menu I see the value change from 1 to 255 when moving the rudder pedals.

I have no clue as to why the lever assigned to mixture behaves like button that changes the value from 0 to 16384. EDIT have also noticed that this lever behaves in the same way in both P3D 2.4 and FSX-SE. And in those sims I use the sims own control assignment. But the lever seems normal in CH control manager program.

Try removing or uninstalling thst CH control manager. This result can be nothing to do with FSUIPC. I suspect the control manager just gets in the way.

I have problem setting up assignment for my rudder pedals but I think I understand why here. When assigning those axes it's hard to have the correct axis identified. For example when moving the rudder pedals the brakes are detected instead.

You should certainly be able to move the rudder without also pressing the toe brakes. Put you feet lower down / further towards you, not near the back.

In the axis assignment tab you can tell it to ignore an axis temporarily if it in always being seen first.

It sounds like, when you get to calibrate the toe brakes, you'll need to set quite a large dead zone, with no brake operation, in order to avoid braking unintentionally!

Also one thing that seem strange for me as that in the calibration menu I see the value change from 1 to 255 when moving the rudder pedals.

What does it show on the axis assignment? Are you selecting "RAW" for some odd reason? If the axis is properly calibrated in Windows before using FSUIPC it should have the usual non-raw range of something below -16000 to something above +16000.  But thr raw axis value from amnay devices is, indeed, 0 to 255.

Pete

Try removing or uninstalling thst CH control manager. This result can be nothing to do with FSUIPC. I suspect the control manager just gets in the way.

You should certainly be able to move the rudder without also pressing the toe brakes. Put you feet lower down / further towards you, not near the back.

In the axis assignment tab you can tell it to ignore an axis temporarily if it in always being seen first.

It sounds like, when you get to calibrate the toe brakes, you'll need to set quite a large dead zone, with no brake operation, in order to avoid braking unintentionally!

What does it show on the axis assignment? Are you selecting "RAW" for some odd reason? If the axis is properly calibrated in Windows before using FSUIPC it should have the usual non-raw range of something below -16000 to something above +16000.  But thr raw axis value from amnay devices is, indeed, 0 to 255.

Pete

Using my throttle quadrant without the Ch control manager is not possible. Calibrating it from inside FSX leads to result that does not work and consider the two first levers as some kind of yoke where I'm asked to place the controller in a midddle position. It was first after using it I could make the quadrant work in the first place.

On axis assignment a box called raw is checked. This box is also grayed out.

If I want to delete all profile specific configuration what is the right way to do it ?

Using my throttle quadrant without the Ch control manager is not possible. Calibrating it from inside FSX leads to result that does not work and consider the two first levers as some kind of yoke where I'm asked to place the controller in a midddle position

FSX does not offer any sort of calibration facility. you must be talking about the Windows calibration.  And that works fine. If the device looks like a yoke it is either because it identifies itself incorrectly, or you are choosing the wrong sort of device. Which version of Windows are you using?

Either way, it makes no difference. Place it anywhere except either end for the middle. It's only your end points, min and max, which matter at this time.

You also seem to need some help. Go to the CH-Hangar website where you will certainly get help with any CH device. 

http://www.ch-hangar.com

On axis assignment a box called raw is checked. This box is also grayed out.

What did you assign it to? The RAW is never sleected and greyed out except for special axes like POV devices (hats), axes P and Q.

If I want to delete all profile specific configuration what is the right way to do it ?

Delete the relevant profile sections from the FSUIPC4.INI  file, found in the FS Modules folder. If you set "UseProfiles=Files" you also need to delete the named profile .INI  file in the Profiles subfolder.

Pete

FSX does not offer any sort of calibration facility. you must be talking about the Windows calibration.  And that works fine. If the device looks like a yoke it is either because it identifies itself incorrectly, or you are choosing the wrong sort of device. Which version of Windows are you using?

Either way, it makes no difference. Place it anywhere except either end for the middle. It's only your end points, min and max, which matter at this time.

You also seem to need some help. Go to the CH-Hangar website where you will certainly get help with any CH device. 

http://www.ch-hangar.com

What did you assign it to? The RAW is never sleected and greyed out except for special axes like POV devices (hats), axes P and Q.

Delete the relevant profile sections from the FSUIPC4.INI  file, found in the FS Modules folder. If you set "UseProfiles=Files" you also need to delete the named profile .INI  file in the Profiles subfolder.

Pete

I use Win 7. I was talking about the calibration you go to when selecting to calibrate from inside FSX. The first two levers normally assigned to throttle 1 and 2 are presented as x/y in a 2D figure and you are told to move in full circles. But that fails since calibration moves on to the next axis before I have moved both levers in their full range.

I do see that this is not because of FSUIPC. For now after removing the B377 portion in FSUIPC.ini and enabling controllers in FSX the throttle behaves weird. Can go from -16000 to around zero for just nudgong the lever when at idle detention.

In axis assignment tab I did see the axis assigned to rudder as checked raw and also grayed out. Don't remember doing any choices here.

List my B377 portion in fsuipc.ini below. Do you seee anything strange here. Also saw that there were some entries for other planes that I have used with controllers enabled and it seems to have been working. For example he Katana 4X.

[Profile.B377]

1=Boeing Stratocruiser, NWA

[JoystickCalibration.B377]

AllowSuppressForPFCquad=Yes

ExcludeThrottleSet=Yes

ExcludeMixtureSet=Yes

ExcludePropPitchSet=Yes

SepRevsJetsOnly=No

ApplyHeloTrim=No

UseAxisControlsForNRZ=No

FlapsSetControl=0

FlapDetents=No

ReverserControl=66292

Reverser1Control=66422

Reverser2Control=66425

Reverser3Control=66428

Reverser4Control=66431

MaxThrottleForReverser=256

AileronTrimControl=66731

RudderTrimControl=66732

CowlFlaps1Control=66162

CowlFlaps2Control=66163

CowlFlaps3Control=66164

CowlFlaps4Control=66165

SteeringTillerControl=0

MaxSteerSpeed=60

Aileron=-15993,-512,512,16256

Throttle=-8785,8785

Elevator=-16384,-512,512,15616

PropPitch=-16384,16383

[Axes.B377]

RangeRepeatRate=10

0=0X,256,F,66291,0,0,0

1=0Y,256,D,9,0,0,0

2=0Z,256,D,10,0,0,0

3=0R,256,D,11,0,0,0

4=0U,256,D,6,0,0,0

5=0V,256,D,12,0,0,0

6=1X,R0,F,66387,0,0,0

7=1Y,R0,D,8,0,0,0

8=1Z,R0,D,3,0,0,0

9=1U,R0,F,65767,0,0,0

10=2X,256,D,21,0,0,0

11=3X,256,D,1,0,0,0

12=3Y,256,D,2,0,0,0

I use Win 7. I was talking about the calibration you go to when selecting to calibrate from inside FSX.

Yes, that is the Windows game controllers applet, and it is often replaced for specific devices by the version specific to your hardware. If you go into Windows Control Panel - DEvices and Printers, you should see your device. Right click on it and you'll see "Gamer controller settings". which brings up a list of installed game controllers. That shows how Windows is classifying your device. Maybe on the disk which comes with the device there's an installable "inf" file, or setup, which provides a mpre appropriate driver and / or classification.

The first two levers normally assigned to throttle 1 and 2 are presented as x/y in a 2D figure and you are told to move in full circles. But that fails since calibration moves on to the next axis before I have moved both levers in their full range.

Evidently Windows thinks your device is different to what it is. You need to see if there's a better driver, or maybe select a more matching default selection. However, you should be able to do it. It normally only moves on if you press a button . Maybe you are accidentally pressing one, possibly at the ends of the axis travel?

I do see that this is not because of FSUIPC. For now after removing the B377 portion in FSUIPC.ini and enabling controllers in FSX the throttle behaves weird. Can go from -16000 to around zero for just nudgong the lever when at idle detention.

Sounds like it's programmed to provide full reverse just below idle. Saitek throttles have the idle detent just above the full rear point, where there's a button which engages full reverse. I'd check your CH documentation if I were you.

I don't use any of these commercial devices so I can only advise on what others say. I use PFC serial port devices. with my own drivers.

Pete