The simFlight Network Forums

Add-ons menu not appearing in FSX Steam

Hi, Peter,

I would be very grateful if you could take a look at my FSUIPC install log for any anomalies.  I have had a torrid time installing FSX Steam which is co-existing with a boxed version of FSX.  It appears on G: drive as SteamLibrary .  Steam is working and I have installed add-on scenery and aircraft ok .  However the Add-ons menu does not appear.

I have edited the registry entry HK Local Machine...microsoft games/flight simulator \10    SetupPath to  G:SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FSX. Also  I have checked for "1" in the "co-exist" option

Many thanks.

Installer for FSUIPC4.DLL version 4.939d

Looking in registry for FSX install path:
     HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0
     Parameter"SetupPath"
... >>>  OK! FOUND FSX!  <<< ...
     SetupPath=G:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FSX

Looking in registry for FSX-SE install path:
     HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator - Steam Edition\10.0
     Parameter"SetupPath"
Not there, so looking in:
     HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator - Steam Edition\10.0
     Parameter"AppPath"
... >>>  OK! FOUND FSX-SE!  <<< ...
     AppPath=G:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FSX\

************ BUT this is the same path as for FSX! Will only install for FSX-SE ************

Looking in registry for Prepar3D v1 install path:
     HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\LockheedMartin\Prepar3D
     Parameter"SetupPath"
     HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\LockheedMartin\Prepar3D
     Parameter"AppPath"
... NOT found! ...

Looking in registry for Prepar3D v2 install path:
     HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2
     Parameter"SetupPath"
     HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2
     Parameter"AppPath"
... NOT found! ...
===========================================================

INSTALLATION FOR FSX-SE:
SetupPath="G:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FSX\"
Checking version of the FSX-SE EXE:
... Version 10.0.62608.0  (Need at least 10.0.62607.0)
Checking compatibility with installed SimConnect:
    Found SimConnect build 60905 (Original)
    Found SimConnect build 62608 (Steam)
    Found SimConnect build 61242 (SP1 May07)
    Found SimConnect build 61259 (Acc/SP2 Oct07)
Checking if there's already a version of FSUIPC4 installed in:
       G:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FSX\Modules\FSUIPC4.DLL
... Version 4.939d found.
FSX-SE Modules folder already exists.
Okay -- installed FSUIPC4 into "G:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FSX\Modules\FSUIPC4.DLL"
Cannot find FSX_SE.CFG. Looking to see if installed with FSX.CFG instead ...
Looking for the current user's Application Data path: 
... found as "C:\Users\Piers\AppData\Roaming"
Now finding \Microsoft\FSX\FSX.CFG for all users, including this one
Looking in "C:\Users\All Users\AppData\Roaming"
 ... No FSX.CFG there
Looking in "C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming"
 ... No FSX.CFG there
Looking in "C:\Users\Default User\AppData\Roaming"
 ... No FSX.CFG there
Looking in "C:\Users\Piers\AppData\Roaming"
Found FSX.CFG in "C:\Users\Piers\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\FSX.CFG"
Now checking DLL.XML ...
... There is a previous DLL.XML, checking for FSUIPC4 section.
... FSUIPC4 section already exists but will be replaced.
     (for FSUIPC4, without Loader)
... FSUIPC4 section of DLL.XML written okay
Now checking for a SimConnect.XML file ...
... No SimConnect.XML file found. This is okay.
Looking in "C:\Users\Public\AppData\Roaming"
 ... No FSX.CFG there
"Modules\FSUIPC Documents" folder already exists.
Now installing additional files into the "Modules\FSUIPC Documents" folder:
   Installed "FSUIPC4 User Guide.pdf" okay
   Installed "FSUIPC4 for Advanced Users.pdf" okay
   Installed "FSUIPC4 History.pdf" okay
   Installed "List of FSX and P3D controls.pdf" okay
   Installed "FSUIPC Lua Library.pdf" okay
   Installed "FSUIPC Lua Plug-Ins.pdf" okay
   Installed "Lua License.pdf" okay
   Installed "Lua Plugins for VRInsight Devices.pdf" okay
   Installed "LuaFileSystem.pdf" okay
   Installed "Example LUA plugins.zip" okay
   Installed "ASN WX Radar facilities in FSUIPC4.pdf" okay
   Installed "Offset Mapping for PMDG 737NGX.pdf" okay
   Installed "FSUIPC4 Offsets Status.pdf" okay
   Installed "Profiles in Separate Files.pdf" okay

All installer tasks completed.
Registration check for FSUIPC4 was successful! (result code 00)

*************** End of Install Log ***************

I have edited the registry entry HK Local Machine...microsoft games/flight simulator \10    SetupPath to  G:SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FSX.

That is a BAD idea, if you wanted FSX and FSX-SE to coexist! You have destroyed the link to FSX!

Additionally, you are trying to install an old version of FSUIPC. the installer with the current version, 4.939e, might just overcome the registry mess, but really I would also suggest you restore the FSX application path entry to point back to FSX, not to FSX-SE.

Why did you mess around in the registry in any case?

Pete

Thanks for you help and patience, Pete.  Installing FSX SE has been a  brain strain for those of us who don't have relevant experience! The extra frame rates and faster load times make it worth while.

A lot of the FSUIPC download sites still seem to offer old versions and omit showing the letter at the end.  Anyway I found an "e" eventually.

I tried changing the set up path back to the location of the old boxed FSX  C;\ Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X and that would not load, reporting "can't locate FSX".

I changed it back to G:SteamLIbrary\steamapps\common\FSX and woah! it worked . ???   The Add-ons menu is now showing in FSX SE.

I hope this helps some other simmers!

Thanks again, Pete

This where I got the suggestion of changing the registry.  It was advice about installing ORBX scenery  into FSX SE: so may have taken in the wrong context.

BlackJacket6  17 Feb @ 9:17am 

http://steamcommunity.com//app/314160/discussions/1/618453594761724917/?insideModal=1

I found this and it worked for me:

"This is for people who have both FSX box edition and FSX SE, and to an extent for people that have deleted their legacy FSX but who are still having issues pointing the installers towards FSX:SE

After many hours pulling my hair and trying to get this to work I believe I have finally figured it out. Before I start I want to point out some important locations and fact.
FSX boxed and FSX:SE are designed to work while both are installed. Hence you will have 2 different folders named "FSX" and "FSX-SE", containing your sceneries config. They are located at C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\.    MINE is at  C:\Users/Piers AppData/Roaming/M'soft/FSX-SE    7 3 115

You also need to understand that at the end of this process you will have 2 Orbx installations and 2 different FTCentral.exe. So when you will need to start FTXCentral be sure not to use a desktop shortcut but to navigate to your Steam ORBX folder and start it from there (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\FSX\ORBX\Scripts\FTXCentral), ) that will make sure you are starting the right FTXCentral. Mine is at G:\ Steam Library\ steamapps etc

Last, it is a good idea to run FTXCentral in admin mode (right click and run as administrator) as it is located within "program files (x86)"
The registry hack was pointed out by JRobinson at fsdevelopper forums and kindly provided to me by jim F on those forums (thanks).
Also do this at your own risk. It seems to be ok on my computer and until an official switcher is released by orbx there isnt much you can do...

NOW follow those steps.

1) Start regedit (start menu>type regedit in the search)

2) Backup your whole registry. Right click on computer and export

3) Navigate to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\microsoft games\flight simulator\10.0 and change the value of setupPath  (after writing down the old path for reference which was  C;\ Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X \) to point to your Steam FSX (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\FSX).  In my case  G:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FSX    

From now on whether you are using or installing into your steam FSX you must have this reg entry. If you decide to use your legacy FSX you only have to revert to your old setting.(as above)

4) Install your Orbx Region/scenery. It should now see the correct path to FSX SE

5) Close FTXCentral

6) navigate to your new Orbx directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\FSX\ORBX)

7) edit those 2 files : script/FTXSettings.xml and script/FTXCentral/FTXSettings.xml and change "<SceneryCFGLocation>Microsoft\FSX</SceneryCFGLocation>" to "<SceneryCFGLocation>Microsoft\FSX-SE</SceneryCFGLocation>"  7 3 15 NOT DONE .CANT TYPE IN CHANGE?

8) run FTXConfigurator.exe to update your library 7 3 15 NOT DONE as ORBX scenery seems to be working  ??

9) run FTXCentral, check that your scenery library is the new one

10) Fly FSX SE and enjoy your Orbx scenery :)..................."

A lot of the FSUIPC download sites still seem to offer old versions and omit showing the letter at the end.  Anyway I found an "e" eventually.

A "lot of the FSUIPC download sites"? What are those? There's only two places for download -- the "Dowson" page maintained by Enrico Schiratti at www.schiratti.com/dowson (this is pointed to by the SimMarket FSUIPC pages), and the Download Links subforum here. Both actually merely contain links to the same files which are always up to date -- and at present 4.939e if the only one they point to!

If you have found other wedbsites hosting FSUIPC can you please give me the links? And why would you think of going anywhere unofficial in any case?

The Schiratti page has text which is sometimes out of date -- I can't change that, it isn't my page -- but the links ALWAYS point to the current release.

I tried changing the set up path back to the location of the old boxed FSX  C;\ Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X and that would not load, reporting "can't locate FSX".What "would not load"?

That path looks wrong in any case. "Program Files(x86)" should be "Program Files (x86)". Always check your entries thoroughly!

And that error would only have stopped the install of FSUIPC into FSX, not to FSX-SE. The installer will continue if you let it, and do the further installations. I assume you simply aborted it instead? Why? Out of panic?

I changed it back to G:SteamLIbrary\steamapps\common\FSX and woah! it worked . ???   The Add-ons menu is now showing in FSX SE.

Yes, because the updated FSUIPC installer for 4.939e recognises the mess your Registry is in as one which folks who try to uninstall FSX before installing FSX-SE make. But without the correct path for FSX you have no way to install things (FSUIPC included), to FSX -- so why, now, maintain a parallel installation?

BTW I have parallel installations and all my scenery is shared. I just made all the paths in my FSX scenery.cfg complete, including drive letter, etc. Then used the same SCENERY.CFG for both FSX and FSX-SE. All my sceneries are then common to both installations and I don't have to reinstall anything at all. Did the same for SimObjects in the main CFG file, and just copied over the Gauges and Effects folders. Two complete installations, FSX and FSX-SE, all with everything installed, done and dusted in 20 minutes or so! ;-)

Mind you, I don't have any complex aircraft. The complexities are in the harware simulator and its software (Prosim737). The aircraft added are for AI Traffic.

Pete

Many thanks for your reply ,Peter, I really appreciate it.

I had originally hoped to do as you say and point Steam at the existing FSX scenery files and aircraft.  I thought installing Steam on another drive G: would be good but a lack of experience had caused confusion.  Steam is working well in spite of this muddle and ORBX scenery and third party a/c work well.

I did have FSUIPC installed briefly today (probably thanks to the "e" version , as you say).  I have been trying to install Accu feel  and the A2A Cessna 172 ad-ons and in the process  FSUIPC has gone again.

Here is the latest install log:

Installer for FSUIPC4.DLL version 4.939e

Looking in registry for FSX install path:
     HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0
     Parameter"SetupPath"
... >>>  OK! FOUND FSX!  <<< ...
     SetupPath=G:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FSX

Looking in registry for FSX-SE install path:
     HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator - Steam Edition\10.0
     Parameter"SetupPath"
     HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator - Steam Edition\10.0
     Parameter"AppPath"
... >>>  OK! FOUND FSX-SE!  <<< ...
     AppPath=G:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FSX\

************ BUT this is the same path as for FSX! Will only install for FSX-SE ************

Looking in registry for Prepar3D v1 install path:
     HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\LockheedMartin\Prepar3D
     Parameter"SetupPath"
     HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\LockheedMartin\Prepar3D
     Parameter"AppPath"
... NOT found! ...

Looking in registry for Prepar3D v2 install path:
     HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2
     Parameter"SetupPath"
     HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2
     Parameter"AppPath"
... NOT found! ...

INSTALLATION FOR FSX-SE:
SetupPath="G:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FSX\"
Checking version of the FSX-SE EXE:
... Version 10.0.62608.0  (Need at least 10.0.62607.0)
Checking compatibility with installed SimConnect:
    Found SimConnect build 60905 (Original)
    Found SimConnect build 62608 (Steam)
    Found SimConnect build 61242 (SP1 May07)
    Found SimConnect build 61259 (Acc/SP2 Oct07)
Checking if there's already a version of FSUIPC4 installed in:
       G:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FSX\Modules\FSUIPC4.DLL
... Version 4.939e found.
FSX-SE Modules folder already exists.
Okay -- installed FSUIPC4 into "G:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FSX\Modules\FSUIPC4.DLL"
Cannot find FSX_SE.CFG. Looking to see if installed with FSX.CFG instead ...
Looking for the current user's Application Data path: 
... found as "C:\Users\Piers\AppData\Roaming"
Now finding \Microsoft\FSX\FSX.CFG for all users, including this one
Looking in "C:\Users\All Users\AppData\Roaming"
 ... No FSX.CFG there
Looking in "C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming"
 ... No FSX.CFG there
Looking in "C:\Users\Default User\AppData\Roaming"
 ... No FSX.CFG there
Looking in "C:\Users\Piers\AppData\Roaming"
Found FSX.CFG in "C:\Users\Piers\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\FSX.CFG"
Now checking DLL.XML ...
... There is a previous DLL.XML, checking for FSUIPC4 section.
... FSUIPC4 section already exists but will be replaced.
     (for FSUIPC4, without Loader)
... FSUIPC4 section of DLL.XML written okay
Now checking for a SimConnect.XML file ...
... No SimConnect.XML file found. This is okay.
Looking in "C:\Users\Public\AppData\Roaming"
 ... No FSX.CFG there
"Modules\FSUIPC Documents" folder already exists.
Now installing additional files into the "Modules\FSUIPC Documents" folder:
   Installed "FSUIPC4 User Guide.pdf" okay
   Installed "FSUIPC4 for Advanced Users.pdf" okay
   Installed "FSUIPC4 History.pdf" okay
   Installed "List of FSX and P3D controls.pdf" okay
   Installed "FSUIPC Lua Library.pdf" okay
   Installed "FSUIPC Lua Plug-Ins.pdf" okay
   Installed "Lua License.pdf" okay
   Installed "Lua Plugins for VRInsight Devices.pdf" okay
   Installed "LuaFileSystem.pdf" okay
   Installed "Example LUA plugins.zip" okay
   Installed "ASN WX Radar facilities in FSUIPC4.pdf" okay
   Installed "Offset Mapping for PMDG 737NGX.pdf" okay
   Installed "FSUIPC4 Offsets Status.pdf" okay
   Installed "Profiles in Separate Files.pdf" okay

All installer tasks completed.
Registration for FSUIPC4 was successful! (result code 00)

*************** End of Install Log ***************

Here is the current dll.xml at AppData\Roaming Microsoft\FSX-SE

<<Launch.Addon>
    <Name>ObjectFlow_EGHP.dll</Name>
    <Disabled>False</Disabled>
    <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
    <Path>G:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FSX\ORBX\FTX_EU\FTX_AA_EGHP\Scenery\ObjectFlow_EGHP.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>ObjectFlow_EGTR.dll</Name>
    <Path>G:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FSX\ORBX\FTX_EU\FTX_AA_EGTR\Scenery\ObjectFlow_EGTR.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>ObjectFlow_EGHA.dll</Name>
    <Path>G:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FSX\ORBX\FTX_EU\FTX_AA_EGHA\Scenery\ObjectFlow_EGHA.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>Object Placement Tool</Name>
    <Disabled>True</Disabled>
    <Path>..\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FSX\SDK\Environment Kit\SDK\Mission Creation Kit\object_placement.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>Traffic Toolbox</Name>
    <Path>..SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FSX\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK\traffictoolbox.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>
  <Launch.Addon>
    <Name>Visual Effects Tool</Name>
    <Path>..\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FSX\SDK\Environment Kit\Special Effects SDK\visualfxtool.dll</Path>
  </Launch.Addon>  
  <Launch.Addon>
        <Name>FSUIPC 4</Name>
        <Path>Modules\FSUIPC4.dll</Path>
    </Launch.Addon>
</SimBase.Document>

Any thoughts?!

Well, FSUIPC4 is installed okay. You appear to have set both FSX and FSX-SE pointers to point to FSX-SE. Are you not intending to use FSX at all from now?

The DLL.XML file is corrupted, missing a big chunk at the beginning and instead has an extra < at the start. Delete that extra < and instead insert the header, thus:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>

<SimBase.Document Type="Launch" version="1,0">
  <Descr>Launch</Descr>
  <Filename>dll.xml</Filename>
  <Launch.ManualLoad>False</Launch.ManualLoad>

When you post files, please use the <> button above the edit area to enclose them.

Pete

• 4 weeks later...

BTW I have parallel installations and all my scenery is shared. I just made all the paths in my FSX scenery.cfg complete, including drive letter, etc. Then used the same SCENERY.CFG for both FSX and FSX-SE. All my sceneries are then common to both installations and I don't have to reinstall anything at all. Did the same for SimObjects in the main CFG file, and just copied over the Gauges and Effects folders. Two complete installations, FSX and FSX-SE, all with everything installed, done and dusted in 20 minutes or so!

Pete

I know that this is above the call of duty but if you were able to explain this more fully then you'll be more of a hero than you already are!  I'm sure that more and more people will be having parallel installations and this sounds just too good to ignore.

Copying Gauges and Effects I can do!  The problem I have is finding which files to change in order to set the paths so that both can share the same scenery files.  I don't see anywhere to set or change paths in my fsx.cfg or scenery.cfg. 

If you have a few minutes to explain Pete, I (and hundreds of others) will be eternally grateful!  :)

Rob