The simFlight Network Forums

Anomoly with EDDF

Avwriter

Not sure what is going on with the ground radar screen in EDDF.  It seems to be missing parts of concourse A of Terminal 1 (West side).  Aircraft parked at the gate in these areas appear to be sitting out on the ramp.  Any chance that this could be corrected?

Andrew

Can you please post a screenshot?

Here you go.  This may not be zoomed in enough, but take a look at DLH620.  It is the aircraft closest to the center of the ASDE-X screen.   On radar, it looks like it is parked out in the open, on the ramp, but as you can see from the main airport view, it is parked at a gate located along the southern extension of concourse A/Z of terminal one (the pier in the center of the main screen that juts out to taxiway N, to the immediate left of the two-pronged piers of concourse B.  All of this pier is missing on the radar image except for the extreme western tip of it.  Do you see what I mean?

Andrew

post-92794-0-47474100-1427818246_thumb.j

The ADIRS is indeed missing most of the buildings north of taxiway "N". Especially in the case of the missing pier "A", it does make

judgement of the aircraft's positions or taxi routes difficult at times.

Should FeelThere not be able to supply a corrected version, you can edit the file yourself. I gave it a try (took about two hours with MS Paint,

as I don't have experience with the more powerful tools) and it's good enough for my purpose now:

FRA_ADIRS.jpg

Of course it isn't 100% accurate, as I had to guesstimate the size or position of some buildings, but

better than the origial.

Timo

That looks very nice Timo.  I am still hoping that Feelthere/Nyerges Design will get back to us on this.  Kind of odd that they let such an obvious mistake through, unless it was intentional.  I wondered if maybe the image was not perfectly to scale, and drawing all of Pier A/Z would cause aircraft on the east side to be too crowded up next to Pier B.  When you run the game with your midification, was this an issue?

Andrew

Mistakes happen, but it seems they had to make compromises on some other parts of the airport as well, compared to the other airports they have released. If you compare especially

the main terminal 1 to satellite images you'll see what I mean... But as it is my home airport I'm glad they did it at all.

I do see what you mention, but IMHO that is due to the airplane symbols on the ADIRS being scaleable and it is not a problem at all as long as the aircraft have enough

"wingtip clearance" on the main view. The ADIRS is just for orientation. It is very narrow in the real-world, too, see

https://www.google.de/maps/place/Frankfurt+Flughafen/@50.0463771,8.5720762,732m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x8a74d84d21f8f331.

One issue that is annoying, though (but is not limited to EDDF), is that there is no possibility to define which size of aircraft use certain gates, so it can happen

that you see ground collisions between two large aircraft using gates adjacent to each other that are only suitable for medium aircraft (e.g. A26 to A40 at EDDF).

I sincerely hope that the gate size definition will be added soon.

Timo

Ok, I too am having serious issues getting the game to even get going. It runs but i show absolutely no aircraft at any gates or flying in. I let the game run for quite a while and still nothing. I also am missing the southern extension of concourse A/Z of terminal 1. Are we going to be able to get a corrected version of the game? I am not MS Paint savy so I will not bother trying to create this myself. 

Ok, I too am having serious issues getting the game to even get going. It runs but i show absolutely no aircraft at any gates or flying in.

'jaw':

is this just with EDDF?  do you own EDFF?  do you have traffice at the airports that come with TOWER?

'jaw':

is this just with EDDF?  do you own EDFF?  do you have traffice at the airports that come with TOWER?

Yes, I do own EDDF and this is only with EDDF. I have other airports that work just fine and get going the moment I start the game. But with EDDF, no such luck. I have no airplanes on the ground or in the air. I have tried to uninstall and reinstall and got nothing I tried to rename the shadow.raw file and that did not help either.

Edited by jawbrkr

Yes, I do own EDDF and this is only with EDDF. I have other airports that work just fine and get going the moment I start the game. But with EDDF, no such luck. I have no airplanes on the ground or in the air. I have tried to uninstall and reinstall and got nothing I tried to rename the shadow.raw file and that did not help either.

1. Are you selecting at least one active runway? 

2. Are you using the default schedule, or the the Real Traffic schedule?  Either way, be sure that you are selecting a time that is likely to have flights.

3. Did you try speeding up time to see if any flights appear?

4. Take a look at your schedule.txt. file in the Databases folder and see whether there are any flights listed there for Frankfurt.  If there is nothing there, then you have found the problem.

5. Try Dick Parker's Schedule Creator (posted at the top of the forum).  This gives you more control over your schedule file.  I use Schedule Creator exclusively and find that it produces excellent results.  It is a bit of work to get it set up (follow the instructions carefully, but it works beautifully).

Andrew

Mistakes happen, but it seems they had to make compromises on some other parts of the airport as well, compared to the other airports they have released. If you compare especially

the main terminal 1 to satellite images you'll see what I mean... But as it is my home airport I'm glad they did it at all.

I do see what you mention, but IMHO that is due to the airplane symbols on the ADIRS being scaleable and it is not a problem at all as long as the aircraft have enough

"wingtip clearance" on the main view. The ADIRS is just for orientation. It is very narrow in the real-world, too, see

https://www.google.de/maps/place/Frankfurt+Flughafen/@50.0463771,8.5720762,732m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x8a74d84d21f8f331.

One issue that is annoying, though (but is not limited to EDDF), is that there is no possibility to define which size of aircraft use certain gates, so it can happen

that you see ground collisions between two large aircraft using gates adjacent to each other that are only suitable for medium aircraft (e.g. A26 to A40 at EDDF).

I sincerely hope that the gate size definition will be added soon.

Timo

Excellent points.  Hopefully the new 3D sim will have a more detailed approach to parking spots.  Would you be willing to share your mod with others as a temp fix, until whenever Feelthere/Nyerges get around to instituting a permanent solution?

1. Are you selecting at least one active runway? 

2. Are you using the default schedule, or the the Real Traffic schedule?  Either way, be sure that you are selecting a time that is likely to have flights.

3. DId you try speeding up time to see if any flights appear?

4. Take a look at your schedule.txt. file in the Databases folder and see whether there are any flights listed there for Frankfurt.  If there is nothing there, then you have found the problem.

5. Try Dick Parker;s Schedule Creator (posted at the top of the forum).  This give you more control over your schedule file.  I use Schedule Creator exclusively and find that it produces excellent results.  It is a bit of work to get it set up (follow the instructions carefully, but it works beautifully.

Andrew

I finally got it to work. I uninstalled Tower11 completely and did a full reinstall of the the game and every airport i have. Somehow that got it to work. Now if they could fix the missing concourse(s).

Edited by jawbrkr

I finally got it to work. I uninstalled Tower11 completely and did a full reinstall of the the game and every airport i have. Somehow that got it to work. Now if they could fix the missing concourse(s).

So glad to hear that you solved the problem. Enjoy!

Would you be willing to share your mod with others as a temp fix, until whenever Feelthere/Nyerges get around to instituting a permanent solution?

I certainly would if FeelThere (or whoever holds the rights of this addon, I'm not sure) would give me official permission to do so. As they own the copyright on the image,

I need their permission to make it publically available.

Timo

Seems to be taking a very long time for anyone from Feel There to get back to us about this issue.  Would really like to hear them acknowledge the issue and commit to resolving it.  It does not sound like it should be so difficult to correct.

Andrew

Would love to hear an update about this matter.  it has been a week since any official comment.

Andrew:

as outlined in the forum rules feelThere will post and update when there is an update to post.  until then we will not post bi-daily updates saying 'working on it'.

thanks for your understanding.

• 4 weeks later...

Would it be possible to have some confirmation of whether this problem can/will be corrected by the developer?  FeelThere indicated that they were "looking into it," but never stated if they had made a determination about resolving the issue.  I intend no disrespect;  I am not looking for a "bi-daily" progress report, nor am I trying to rush things.  I am considering attempting to correct it for my own use as another user did, but would prefer not to reinvent the wheel if the developer is already in the process of resolving it with a higher level of accuracy than I could manage.

Thank you.

Andrew

• 4 months later...

Just noticed that this problem never got resolved after several months.  I do understand that most of your focus is on developing the new version of the sim.  However, I also see that you are continuing to release new airports for the old version (eg. KMCO)  I might be more inclined to buy them if I had confidence that they would be supported.

Andrew