The simFlight Network Forums

IMPORTANT QUESTION/REQUEST FROM FEELTHERE

FeelThere_Vic

Dear Folks,

We wonder how many of you use Steam? We would like to know as possibly we will release our next product on Steam and in order to get it listed on Steam we would need your vote. It doesn't cost any money it would just tell Valve (the owner of Steam) that there is a potential in a certain title. Once we show them with our "votes" the product is worthy then it can be listed on Steam.

Thank you in advance

Vic

Gonna be totally honest with you.

Steam is a memory hog on machines. Their games are kind of crappy. Although I like your game, I would not recommend going to steam. I understand you want to broaden your market.. Steam is not recommended.

Most of the games I get on steam are glitchy or corrupted games. Not ALL of them, but most of them.

Just my opinion

Terry

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I´ve been using Steam for several years and I´m surprised at some of the reactions in the topic. There are some distinct advantages to using Steam as a consumer. First off, you can purchase and download all your games in one place. Steam keeps track of what you´ve bought, so no more losing codes or download links or whatever. Secondly, Steam keeps your game up to date, meaning as soon as the developer releases an update/patch, Steam applies it to your game and you're good to go. If FeelThere does it right, they will also make Steam Workshop available for the game. This allows developers and players to create add-ons (e.g. new a/c, liveries, airfields) and other players can add them to their game simply but selecting them in steam. No more fiddling around with seperate downloads and moving files around. Also, Steam Cloud allows you to save your games in Steam, meaning you can install the game on muliple machines and share save games or profile settings (or add-ons...) across machines (no need to move your manual Airfield updates from pc to pc).  From a multiplayer point-of-view, Steam has a "Friends List" so you can add players as your friends and Steam will tell you when they're online and what game they're playing. 

I'm not convinced that Steam is a memory hog. I think on current hardware, you won't notice Steam running in the background. I think we also need to clear up how Steam works. Steam is no more than an "Administrative" layer for your games. Your games don't run IN, ON, UNDER or OVER Steam. In-fact, when you hit the "Install" button in Steam, it downloads and installs the game on your harddrive just like you would normally. When you play a game, Steam retires to the background so that the games has priority. You could even uninstall Steam, and all your games would still be there. I have a laptop from 2009 and it runs Steam (and several games) fine. This isn´t like the old days when people preferred running games under DOS compared to Windows 95 because "Win95 is such a memory hog". 

Steam also has advantages for FeelThere. I think the most important one is that they will get exposure to a player base unlike anything they've seen before. In Febuary 2015, Steam counted 125 million(!) active users. I think a LOT of those people may enjoy a game like Tower, but just never went looking for it. The only reason I found this game was because Global ATC Simulator went live on Steam and I was looking for something better (and stumbled on Tower!2011). I'm sorry to say that folks claiming they will not buy the next Tower release if it's on Steam only, are being very short-sighted. If Tower!20xx is more of the same, but with 3D... are you really not going to buy it because it's only on Steam? Do you really think that FeelThere will regret loosing maybe 100 players if in return they get exposure to 125 million? 

Personally, I think platforms like Steam are the future of gaming and FeelThere need to take full advantage of it, but only if they fully integrate the game (so with all the added benefits like Workshop, Cloud, etc). Simply using Steam as another distrubtion channel is not enough. In-fact, releasing a game via Steam and then telling people to get their updates from some other site is going to hurt you more than not releasing on Steam. On the other hand, you don't have to do it all at once. There are plenty of games that have released as stand-alone games and then later moved (or added) to Steam. Microsoft Flight Simulator X is an example....

Just my 5 cents, but as a long-time Steam user I felt I needed to respond to this thread. 

Edited by bazvink
  • Upvote 1

Possibly we will release the new Tower on both platforms, likely with different features and pricing.

Why would you want to have different prices/features per channel? Steam is just another way to reach customers, there's no need (nor advantage) to making it more or less attractive. You'll only make it harder for yourself because you'll have two different versions to maintain. Four, if you insist on holding on to the multiplayer/single player model which, in my opinion, is outdated.

• 4 weeks later...

Dear feelthere team,

wow this made me even register on this forum :).

Also as a  long time steam user,  Bazvink makes it clear, and i want to add:

Any respectable game developer, even those who have a own simular platform like steam, release there game on steam.

Further more, wat makes a game popular and even more popular: the MOD community.

Any popular game has a huge mod community, as tower2011 is easy to MOD there wil be surely interest on it as well from the MOD community.

An on the topic of different versions for steam: yes you can do that but hell make sure you steam versions has no less features! If you do so the steam community will get your game i a very bad picture, and will advise not to buy, remember like buttons ao. are as importend as on any other platform:).

Futhermore wil not even put the game but the name " Feel there" in a bad picture. Once a bad name ...... ( don't have to say more).

Promote, follow up, provide guides on steam as well ( not only the manual).

As developer make in this type of games contest,  picture contest or stream contest for example, etc etc....

Look at some very simple games ETS2 for example: ( there first game releases started not on steam but hell it did go crazy after steam release and there follow up )

Huge mod community, stream community, contest from developer, and so on.

And yes normal for a game like tower2011, the reaction wat did show up here , as many just don't even know Steam in the flightsim and related world ( wat changed after the introduction of FSX on steam).

Don't forget to implement steam achievments to, so many people are working ( playing ) to get them, this is so importend as well !.

Gosh i could  write way more, but i am not your researcher :) , any way:

Don't miss this boat Feel there :)

Best regards,

• 2 weeks later...

I have 111 games on steam. I can add or remove them from my HD whenever I want and not have to look for codes or keep installers. I can choose to have them auto update or when I choose. Massive sales through the year with Christmas usually having huge savings. Uses about 100mb of ram but I can turn it off if i'm not using it. The statement above "steam has crappy games" ......it has almost all games apart from companies like EA who run Origin, just like steam. If you want a game to be seen by the masses, bought by people who never knew your game existed, steam is the way to go. Just make sure it works or expect tons of support requests and bad reviews.

Thank you Folks for the feedback.

As you know in order to make voice recognition to be working your Windows needs to be in English (US) mode. This is a limitation for many international users. So we are working hard how to make Tower! X somehow easy to use without voice recognition too. This is the reason we plan to release two versions one with the reliable voice recognition system we already have and one with a different (possibly more "gamish") interface to make it easy to use without talking to the sim. 

Thank you Folks for the feedback.

As you know in order to make voice recognition to be working your Windows needs to be in English (US) mode. This is a limitation for many international users. So we are working hard how to make Tower! X somehow easy to use without voice recognition too. This is the reason we plan to release two versions one with the reliable voice recognition system we already have and one with a different (possibly more "gamish") interface to make it easy to use without talking to the sim. 

I have a dutch version of Windows and used the "Virtualizer" workaround to get voice recognition to work (works perfect). Nevertheless, I think the idea of a non-voice-recog interface is a good idea and then you need to think about making a non-voice interface that is easy to use and can quickly process all your commands. So going for a "gamish" interface may sound silly but is actually the most logical choice.

But I will be making sure my next Windows version is English ;)

• 1 month later...

-1000 for Steam. Usually if my first encounter with a product is that it's on Steam, it's usually automatically on my do-not-buy list. Once in a blue moon I'll go to the trouble to research a product further to see if it's available some other way, but I rarely bother.

With that said, I'm glad that you'll be offering Tower as a separate product, so I'll keep that in mind.