The simFlight Network Forums

Windows 10 Autosave

Hi Pete,

I have to admit that since the Win10 update the whole process of flying the PMDG 737 isn't as pleasent as it once was, the freezing is a nightmare. I have been flying the Aerosoft A320 as that doesn't freeze like that at all. I hope that it gets resolved in some way.

Anyway, just flown a flight with a default Cessna 172, and when I landed I had 8 save files, so its not deleting them not even with the default planes.

I have attached the error log for this flight, I hope it helps.

Regards Rob

Pete.zip

Anyway, just flown a flight with a default Cessna 172, and when I landed I had 8 save files, so its not deleting them not even with the default planes.

I have attached the error log for this flight, I hope it helps.

No. Version 4.944d would log an error if the "DeleteFile" call to Windows failed, so as far as FSUIPC is concerned, it is deleting the files successfully. It looks like there's a serious fault in Win10 for sure.

Pete

So just to clarify should I now revert back to my previous FSUIPC.dll?

No you are okay with that one for now. But what I'm doing today is adding a bit more optional logging on the Autosave actions -- logging when it saves and when it deletes, both logging actions enabled by an INI file option. That should prove it exhaustively.

Later

Pete

For more logging, just to confirm what I thinkj, download FSUIPC4944f and copy that into the FS Modules folder. Then Edit the FSUIPC4.INI file and add these two lines into the [General] section:

Debug=Please

LogExtras=4

When you run this version with that logging you will get an entry in the Log showing that it is Autosaving, and confirming the file(s) to be deleted, like this:

512245 Autosave started: next file entry 8
   512245 Autosave: deleting "C:\Users\Pete\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\AutoSave Thu 195338"
   512245 ... Autosave finished
   541792 Autosave started: next file entry 9
   541792 Autosave: deleting "C:\Users\Pete\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\AutoSave Thu 195408"
   541792 ... Autosave finished

See what you get, please.

Pete

Morning Pete,

I have downloaded that file and installed as per instructions, but now I get a warning that FSinsider as detected and issue with FSUIPC and just shuts FSX Steam. I can not do anything to correct that issue at the moment, I am having to restore my PC to a earlier position. I tried re-installing FSUIPC and the installer fails and just says that it has detected a different version of FSX and then just stops.

Regards Rob

I have downloaded that file and installed as per instructions, but now I get a warning that FSinsider as detected and issue with FSUIPC and just shuts FSX Steam. I can not do anything to correct that issue at the moment, I am having to restore my PC to a earlier position. I tried re-installing FSUIPC and the installer fails and just says that it has detected a different version of FSX and then just stops.

Sorry, there is absolutely nothing in simply replacing the FSUIPC4.DLL with the one in that downloaded ZIP which can possibily be responsible for any of that.  All that has changed is a little bit of extra logging when AutoSave occurs, that's it.  All you needed to do was copy the DLL into the FSX modules folder.

Also the current version of the FSUIPC4 Installer recognises all existing versions of both FSX and FSX-SE, so evidently you are trying to use an old version of the Installer!

If you want help with FSUIPC or its Installer I always need more information -- paricularly the Log files it produced especially to help in such circumstances.

Pete

Hi Pete,

Right I have my system back to where everything works, i will copy that file over now.

As for the installer I am currently using the one that I had the day I installed it which was 4.939t, does that make sense? Or am I looking at the wrong info for version number?

Rob

As for the installer I am currently using the one that I had the day I installed it which was 4.939t, does that make sense? Or am I looking at the wrong info for version number?

4.939t pre-dates the current version of FSX-SE -- it only knows up to 62613, and will not only warn you but it will not work correctly with 62615!. You always need to use the latest version. The current official release is 4.944a.

Note that I have found that the interim test updates I've been supplying here (4.944d/e/f) sometimes cause Windows to report a crash after you close FSX-SE down. I've found the reason for that and it will be fixed in the next proper release, so please don't worry about that for now.  If the results of the extra logging in 4.944f indicate something I can do to help the Autosave deletions, I'll fix that first anyway (but I don't hold out too much hope of that score at present I'm afraid).

Pete

Hi Pete,

Yes it's installed and I can see entries going in the log file, once I have finished the flight I will post the log for you.

With regards to the latest release what sort of cost is involved in the latest release. Plus I have just seen a post regarding FSUIPC not working with Steam, I have the same path to file errors they had.

I will upload the file soon.

Rob

With regards to the latest release what sort of cost is involved in the latest release.

Cost? In what, memory, performance? None that I can measure. Or do you mean money? Updates have always not only been free but pretty much compulsory, unless you don't want any support because I cannot support old versions!

Plus I have just seen a post regarding FSUIPC not working with Steam, I have the same path to file errors they had.

Sorry, I do not understand this part at all. Whoever says FSUIPC4 doesn't work with FSX-SE is using the wrong version of FSUIPC. What is this about a "path" and what "errors"?

Pete

Hi Pete,

Sorry I think I'm trying to do to many things st once here :)

So the latest installer I can download from your site install it and just insert my current registered version detail to unlock the full version, am I understanding you correctly?

As for the post with FSUIPC not working with steam and path errors here is the link to the post :)

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?288129-FSUIPC-not-working-with-FSX-Steam

Cheers Rob

So the latest installer I can download from your site install it and just insert my current registered version detail to unlock the full version, am I understanding you correctly?

If you haven't deleted anything from your previous install, you simply run the later installer and that's it. No need to re-enter anything. It just updates the DLL and the documentation.

As for the post with FSUIPC not working with steam and path errors here is the link to the post  :)

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?288129-FSUIPC-not-working-with-FSX-Steam

That was a mess in their Registry, which a later updates of the FSUIPC4 installer fixed for them n any case. So many folks don't bother to first ceck for updates! :-(. There's been at least 5 full new Releases since then plus about 10 interim updates!

FSX-SE and Prepar3D are both still being developed. FSUIPC4 has been continuously developed with regular updates now since 2006. The same applies to all the previous versions ever since FS98 days (1997)!

Pete

Here is the file you requested, and to confirm that the listed deleted files still remain on my system and were not removed 

Nevertheless, the request to Windows for there deletion are being ussued and returning "success", see:

602656 Autosave started: next file entry 1
   602656 Autosave: deleting "C:\Users\Desk-Rob\Documents\Flight Simulator X - Steam Edition Files\AutoSave Wed 142549"
   602656 ... Autosave finished
  1202156 Autosave started: next file entry 2
  1202156 Autosave: deleting "C:\Users\Desk-Rob\Documents\Flight Simulator X - Steam Edition Files\AutoSave Wed 143548"
  1202156 ... Autosave finished
  1801656 Autosave started: next file entry 3
  1801656 Autosave: deleting "C:\Users\Desk-Rob\Documents\Flight Simulator X - Steam Edition Files\AutoSave Wed 144548"
  1801656 ... Autosave finished
  2401156 Autosave started: next file entry 4
  2401156 Autosave: deleting "C:\Users\Desk-Rob\Documents\Flight Simulator X - Steam Edition Files\AutoSave Wed 145547"
  2401171 ... Autosave finished
  3000656 Autosave started: next file entry 5
  3000656 Autosave: deleting "C:\Users\Desk-Rob\Documents\Flight Simulator X - Steam Edition Files\AutoSave Wed 150547"
  3000671 ... Autosave finished
  3600156 Autosave started: next file entry 0
  3600156 Autosave: deleting "C:\Users\Desk-Rob\Documents\Flight Simulator X - Steam Edition Files\AutoSave Wed 151546"
  3600171 ... Autosave finished
  4199656 Autosave started: next file entry 1
  4199656 Autosave: deleting "C:\Users\Desk-Rob\Documents\Flight Simulator X - Steam Edition Files\AutoSave Fri 114540"
  4199671 ... Autosave finished
  4799156 Autosave started: next file entry 2
  4799156 Autosave: deleting "C:\Users\Desk-Rob\Documents\Flight Simulator X - Steam Edition Files\AutoSave Fri 115539"
  4799171 ... Autosave finished

So, it most definitely is something up with either Win10, or your specific installation. Sorry, I can't really do more!

Pete

After I restarted FSX I got this error and it closed please find attached details.

It doesn't close. Just select Yes to allow FSUIPC to run. This is a well-known problem with FSX's SimConnect and is covered in FAQ threads. It occurs before FSUIPC is even loaded.

It may have come up just then after running with the TEST version f because of the shut-down problem I mentioned. Please look out for a new release, 4.945, which will be ready to download later today.

Pete

Hi Pete,

I select yes and Steam just closes, it will not load any further, if I select no then it loads but with out FSUIPC. I have tried three times and tried twice more after a full shutdown and restart.

This is what I had this morning, to over come it I had to roll back windows and put back my earlier version of FSUIPC then I could load normally.

Just used the latest installer, I get the warning now and when I click yes it loads FSX with FSUIPC, it was the outdated installer that was the issue.

Regards Rob

There are now some good working answers to the above problems, kindly posted in detail by Kevin ("Yakpilot"). They appear to be so clear and useful I have moved them to the FAQ subforum for a more durable reference. See

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/80097-problems-with-windows-10-autosave-the-answers/

So, thanks Kevin!

Pete