The simFlight Network Forums

"Throttle set" - setting up reverse thrust on F1 King Air B200

Hello!

I'm using a Saitek yoke and throttle quadrant, all configured through FSUIPC (version 4).

On the throttle quadrant, the reverse part of the throttle acts as a button rather than an axis. So I had this reverse "button" mapped to slowly decrease throttle, which would put the power into reverse, the only way to do it as far as I know.

In the B200, 25-100% of the quadrant is used for throttle, 0-25% is the beta range. I originally had a problem where when I pulled the throttle down to 0% to go start going into reverse, it would flip back up to 25%. I solved this problem by reading this thread: http://forum.simflight.com/topic/77590-flight1-king-air-b200-reverse-thrust-setup/

My reverse is set up so once it is released, it would engage the flight control "throttle cut". On a normal aircraft this would return the throttle to 0%, but on the B200 it flips it up to 25% (which is idle). However, if I use a control like "throttle 10" it will flip it up to 10% instead, which is inside the beta range. My question is, how can I set up "throttle set" to set the throttle to 0% or 1%? I put 0 or 1 in the parameter field and it doesn't make a difference, a location on the axis does nothing either. Any suggestions?

However, if I use a control like "throttle 10" it will flip it up to 10% instead, which is inside the beta range. My question is, how can I set up "throttle set" to set the throttle to 0% or 1%? I put 0 or 1 in the parameter field and it doesn't make a difference, a location on the axis does nothing either. Any suggestions?

The value in a _SET control is a value in the range of the thing you want to set. The forward throttle range in FS is 0-16383, so 25% is 4096. 10% would be 1638.

100% full forward thrust is always 16383.

When you assign your axis to the throttle it will be using either AXIS_THROTTLEn_SET (which actually runs from -16384 (idle) to +16383 (full thrust), with no reverse range, or, through FSUIPC only, THROTTLEn_SET which can run from -16384 to +16383 too, but with idle at 0 and negative values giving reverse thrust. The reverse range is normally limited by a value in the Aircraft.CFG file to a percentage -- often 25% by default, so max reverse would be -4096. Where there is no reverse thrust the percentrage would be 0, so negative values would be ignored.

Pete

The below is from my post on the Flgiht1 KA B200 Forum in Aug 2014.  Perhaps it will help, it works fine for me.

(Flight1 forum thread is here http://www.simforums.com/forums/moving-power-levers-into-reverse_topic49963_post327524.html?KW=reverse#327524)

If using FSUIPC for axis control and calibration, the trick (provided by Pete Dowson) is to edit the low end throttle axis calibration number in the FSUIPC.ini file to a value a little below the lowest the axis can achieve, eg use  -16400 if the lowest the axis can achieve is the typical -16384.  FSUIPC treats the low end of lever travel as Idle, which was why the animated power level was jumping up to the Idle mark in the VC just before reverse was entered. With the fictitious lower limit, FSUIPC never thinks Idle is reached.
Then under the FSUIPC Buttons and Switches tab
use the [throttle lever activated] switch below the Saitek throttle axis to enter Reverse thrust with the F2 Throttle Decr command (with repeat), but DO NOT use the F1 Throttle Cut command when coming out of Reverse thrust (use nothing), because the Throttle Cut command makes the power lever in the VC jump over the beta range to Idle

Al