The simFlight Network Forums
CBB

AI do not detect my aircraft

Hi, I thought that AI was supposed to stop if they detect my aircraft coming in the opposite direction, etc?  At the moment AI approaching me from the front or from behind does not stop but goes straight through.  This was certainly the case when I used Traffix X with FSX.

I am using P3D 2.5 with MTX 6, I am not using any ATC.

Best

Charles

Maybe because you have to be at a determined position for the AI to stop, for example at a runway holding point or taxi holding point?

1st time I got hit from behind was after I had done a push-back from a gate and was starting up motors,,,AI went straight through me (I have crash detection off)

2nd time I think I was on the wrong taxiway going from runway to gate, I was on the left side taxiway rather than the right

So if you are waiting at a runway hold for aircraft to land, AI behind you will go straight through?  Seems very unrealistic...when I had Traffic X AI always waited behind or gave way.

Or do I need to use ATC program for them to control traffic movement on the ground and to stop me and/or approaching AI?

FSX ATC uses to stop AI aircraft behind you - aircraft that taxi vertical to you often are not recognized as a problem. But since ATC is a low priority task, I would reduce the frame rate delimter to check if this reduces the problem.

There cannot be a difference between any AI package, because it is FSX itself that does the movements.

Thanks.  What happens if I do not use any ATC?  Will FS still control AI movements so that AI will line up behind me and not go through me as if I didn't exist?  I just want to be able to taxi and hold at runway holding points without AI passing through me.

The 2 times I had the problem was firstly when I started my taxi from gate and I stopped and an AI came from behind and went straight thru me.  2nd time I took a wrong taxiway (going the wriong direction on the taxiway) and an AI headed straight for me, I waited for him to stop but he went straight thru me.

I read somewhere that if you start taxi you should not stop until you get to your holding point, as AI will go thru you otherwise.  This may answer the first problem I had.

Maybe the 2nd occurred because FS does not recognize you if you take the wring taxiway.

Or do I need to use ATC?  I would lie to avoid it if possible, if I want to use ATC I go on vatsim, I don't like the computerized ones, but I still want the AI!

Well, what FSX does is undocumented, so all we can do is guess. As far as I understand, only an ATC call can command an AI aircraft, so it gets the command to taxi, it gets the command to hold.

The ATC system now is a stack of limited size. Whenever something needs to be done, it is put onto this stack. When the ATC call is done, and the system has free CPU resources, the next one gets read. If the calls come in faster than they can be said, they pile up. If the stack is full, the following ones are dumped so what happens is random.

That is how I understand FSX is working.

Ok, thanks, I have not had a repeat of the problem since the 2 mentioned above and I am now on 15% traffic.  I'll keep an eye out and let you know if something happens, mentime thanks for all the help!

Best

Charles