The simFlight Network Forums

Just registered. Saitek yoke Mode 1-2-3 question.

Hello, I just bought and registered the latest version of FSUIPC.

I have a Saitek yoke and would like to know if it's possible to have FSUIPC recognize the Mode 1-2-3 switch at the back of the yoke.  I used it in three different modes with the software from Saitek.

But if I can't get it to recognize that rotating mode switch then that kills 2/3 of my button bindings.

Anyone familiar with the Saitek yoke with the Mode switch and FSUPIC?  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Paul

PS: complete new user but I am reading the manuals.

I have a Saitek yoke and would like to know if it's possible to have FSUIPC recognize the Mode 1-2-3 switch at the back of the yoke.  I used it in three different modes with the software from Saitek.

But if I can't get it to recognize that rotating mode switch then that kills 2/3 of my button bindings.

If the mode switch is not one of the standard joystick buttons, 0-31 (in FSUIPC, or 1-32 probably in Saitek programs), then FSUIPC can't see it in the normal way.

If it is readable by Saitek programs, then it would be readable by a Lua plug-in using the com library HID functions. There are some examples of reading buttons from any HID device (even non-joysticks) and mapping them to FSUIPC's virtual button set. 

Once the mode switch is readable, then the programming of multiple functions on the other ("real") joystick buttons becomes a matter of conditional or compound button programming in the FSUIPC4.INI file. There's a section on that in the FSUIPC Advanced User's manual, and you might find some of the other user's efforts in the  User Contributions subforum useful too.

I'm surefolks have done this before but I've not been able to find one posted yet (the search abilities in the Forum are not too useful I find). I did find this which may also be useful:

Toggle switches on X52 Pro stick

Pete

Thank you Pete. I posted to that thread but don't know if anyone will post back as it's been last posted in July.

I'm not sure if it is 1-32, now I'll have to turn on the PC and check. I only tried two button assignments as a test and they worked but haven't even started the axes yet. I printed out your manuals and have them on my iPad so I have to read them and try to understand them. It looks difficult but if others can learn it I can too.

How often do you update this? Do I come here to find the latest updates?

I was poking around in it and two things caught my eye I really like, the battery drain setting and the clock setting. Nice work. It must have taken you a while to program PSUIPC. It's brilliant.

Thanks again for your very prompt replies Pete.

For reasons I don't understand, to allow FSUIPC to see the Saitek Mode switch you have to go into the folder C:\Windows\System32 (assuming the C drive is where things are at, otherwise substitute the correct letter) where you should find a Saitek file called SaiD0BAC.PRO. Rename this file to deactivate it – I simply renamed mine SaiD0BACmodeswitch.PR0 and left it in the original System32 folder.  Then restart Windows, and the next time you start FSX pull up FSUIPC and go to the Buttons + Switches section and flip the mode switch – FSUIPC should register the switch when it moves. If subsequently you suddenly find the Mode Switch is not working again, it likely is because the SaiD0BAC.PRO file reappeared in the System32 folder for some reason. I've had this happen a few times.

Al

For reasons I don't understand, to allow FSUIPC to see the Saitek Mode switch you have to go into the folder C:\Windows\System32 (assuming the C drive is where things are at, otherwise substitute the correct letter) where you should find a Saitek file called SaiD0BAC.PRO. Rename this file to deactivate it – I simply renamed mine SaiD0BACmodeswitch.PR0 and left it in the original System32 folder.  Then restart Windows, and the next time you start FSX pull up FSUIPC and go to the Buttons + Switches section and flip the mode switch – FSUIPC should register the switch when it moves. If subsequently you suddenly find the Mode Switch is not working again, it likely is because the SaiD0BAC.PRO file reappeared in the System32 folder for some reason. I've had this happen a few times.

Al

Thanks Al!!!

This is what I've been hoping for. I will try this as soon as I get a chance in a little while.

How on Eaeth did you discover this? It's brilliant!

So you're saing you now have three modes like withthe SST software and can now have each button assigned three things?

That would make things a lot better for me so I don't lose 2/3 of my button assignments.

Hi again Al, here's an excerpt from Pete's manual. As per what he describes I have to edit the ini file? Do I have to do this in order to use one button for three functions? Is it difficult to do? Im still reading the documents.

Compound (or conditional) button actions can be programmed—with the action of one or more buttons being determined by the state of one or more other buttons or switches. This can be used, for example, to program a bank of buttons for different things depending on a toggle or multiple position switch, hence multiplying the effective number of buttons available. The same facility can also be used to cope with those types of rotary switches that indicate which direction the spindle is being turned by the phase relationship between two button lines. Again, this more complex facility can only be accessed by editing the FSUIPC4.INI file, and is described in the Advanced User’s Guide.

If the mode switch is not one of the standard joystick buttons, 0-31 (in FSUIPC, or 1-32 probably in Saitek programs), then FSUIPC can't see it in the normal way.

If it is readable by Saitek programs, then it would be readable by a Lua plug-in using the com library HID functions. There are some examples of reading buttons from any HID device (even non-joysticks) and mapping them to FSUIPC's virtual button set. 

Once the mode switch is readable, then the programming of multiple functions on the other ("real") joystick buttons becomes a matter of conditional or compound button programming in the FSUIPC4.INI file. There's a section on that in the FSUIPC Advanced User's manual, and you might find some of the other user's efforts in the  User Contributions subforum useful too.

I'm surefolks have done this before but I've not been able to find one posted yet (the search abilities in the Forum are not too useful I find). I did find this which may also be useful:

Toggle switches on X52 Pro stick

Pete

Pete, I'm very sorry to ask so many newbie questions but I read in a tutorial somewhere or maybe on a forum that it's recommended that all axis assignments be removed from FSX's settings section including mouse and yoke despite "Enable Controller" being unchecked. Is this your opinion on it?

Thanks.

Pete, I'm very sorry to ask so many newbie questions but I read in a tutorial somewhere or maybe on a forum that it's recommended that all axis assignments be removed from FSX's settings section including mouse and yoke despite "Enable Controller" being unchecked. Is this your opinion on it?

Just disable controllers. The assignments are then irrelevant.

Pete

Al

Hi Al, when this file is renamed will all it do is allow you to actually use the mode rotary switch as a separate button or will it allow me to use it as the Saitek software allows me to use it? I mean will I now have triple the amount of buttons?

As it stands now, unless I can learn all this programming to edit the ini file to allow the mode switch to act like a shift key I will still only have 14 buttons.

With the SST software I now have 29 buttons mapped so I'm 15 short.

Hi Al, when this file is renamed will all it do is allow you to actually use the mode rotary switch as a separate button or will it allow me to use it as the Saitek software allows me to use it? I mean will I now have triple the amount of buttons?

As it stands now, unless I can learn all this programming to edit the ini file to allow the mode switch to act like a shift key I will still only have 14 buttons.

With the SST software I now have 29 buttons mapped so I'm 15 short.

Yes, you should have three sets of buttons available as with the Saitek software -- suggest you try it. To start pick one button on the Saitek yoke and try programming it in FSUIPC.ini to do three different things depending on the mode switch position. Once you figure out how to do that, setting up the rest of the buttons should be easier. It has been quite a while since I set up my Saitek yoke, so I don't recall all the programming details at this point, but what you need to know is in the FSUIPC documentation.

Al

Yes, you should have three sets of buttons available as with the Saitek software -- suggest you try it. To start pick one button on the Saitek yoke and try programming it in FSUIPC.ini to do three different things depending on the mode switch position. Once you figure out how to do that, setting up the rest of the buttons should be easier. It has been quite a while since I set up my Saitek yoke, so I don't recall all the programming details at this point, but what you need to know is in the FSUIPC documentation.

Al

Thanks Al, when you say to try programming it in FSUIPC.ini I really have no choice but to try to figure out the coding and scripting. I did a lot of searching and couldn't find anything anywhere that shows how to do that.

Would it be possible for you to post the code that pertains to the mode knob and how you did it?

Could you PM me with the text of your ini file?

I really appreciate the help Al, so far it's all I have to work with. I wish someone had written a book on how to learn this but so far nothing.

Al

Hi Al, I found it but I can't rename it because I get a pop-up that says, "Access denied - Require permission from TrustedInstaller to make changes to this file."  

Hi Al, I found it but I can't rename it because I get a pop-up that says, "Access denied - Require permission from TrustedInstaller to make changes to this file."  

I had not heard of the "TrustedInstaller" before, but a Google search on TrustedInstaller turned up this http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/windows-7-how-to-delete-files-protected-by-trustedinstaller/ and a lot of other possible sources of info that may be of use to you. So it looks like you will have to change the ownership of SaiD0BAC.PRO file so you can rename it.

When I said programming the FSUIPC.ini file, I meant setting up the compound or conditional button/switch actions as described in the FSUIPC Advanced User's Guide (that you quoted from above in post #6). As I recall there are examples in the Guide. I can also paste a few examples here from my FSUIPC.ini file when I get home tonight.

Al

I've spent the entire morning and day so far just setting up buttons.

I then looked in the FSUIPC.ini file and it's like an alien language.   :cry:

Right now I'm going to try to figure out this trusted installer stuff.  Thanks for the link.

And I appreciate your help Al.  Thank you.

Here are some conditional button entries from my FSUIPC.ini file:

41=CR(+Y,9)Y,7,C66277,0 ;aileron trim right w/horizontal yoke btn, w/mode sw =2

42=CR(+Y,9)Y,6,C66276,0 ;aileron trim left w/horizontal yoke btn, w/mode sw =2

43=CR(+Y,8)Y,7,C66279,0 ;rudder trim right w/horiz yoke btn, w/mode sw =1

44=CR(+Y,8)Y,6,C66278,0 ;rudder trim left w/horiz yoke btn, w/mode sw =1

45=CR(+Y,8)Y,1,K20,8 ;TeamSpeak voice capture start, mode sw=1 K20 for Caps Lock key
46=CU(+Y,8)Y,1,K20,8 ;TeamSpeak voice capture stop, mode sw=1

For the first line above:

• The 41 is just the FSUIPC.ini line #
  • C means this is a Conditional button statement
  • The R means the control is to be Repeatedly sent while the condition and button is active
    • Others possibilities in place of the R here are P (pulse on press), U (pulse on release) -- control is only sent once even if button held or released, etc.
  • The "condition" is in the (  ).  The + means the button or switch must be pressed (- would mean the button or switch must be released) for the overall  action to happen, the Y means Yoke, and the 9 is how FSUIPC sees the yoke mode switch in position 2. So the info in the (  ) represents the “condition” yoke switch 9 pressed or active.
  • The Y,7 to the right of the ( ) is Yoke button 7 as seen by FSUIPC ( my aileron trim right button).
  • C66277 is the control code (right aileron) that FSUIPC will send to FSX as the “action” if the condition is met (mode sw=2)  and yoke button 7 is pressed.  See the FSUIPC document FSX & P3D Controls in Alphabetical Order for a list of controls where, for example, you will find:

AILERON_TRIM_LEFT 66276

AILERON_TRIM_RIGHT 66277

• I’m not sure about the final 0 after the comma. I think this would be used to specify a parameter if needed by the control being sent to FSX.
  • Finally, the info after the semicolon is just a comment so I can remember what I did.
  • Line 45 above is slightly different in that instead of sending a FSX control code when all conditions are met, the code representing the CAPS LOCK key is sent to activate push to talk for TeamSpeak. In other words, pushing button 1 on the yoke is equivalent to pushing the CAPS LOCK key on the keyboard if the mode switch is in position 1. I think the final 8 means an 8 bit CAPS LOCK code but I’m not sure about that, so don’t quote me.  :???: 

There is also more info on conditional button programming in the Appendix of the Advanced User’s Guide. See  APPENDIX 1: Do more with your joystick!

Good luck – that is about as much as I know, or think I know, on this topic.

Al

Thanks yet again Al and I really do appreciate it but I'm still clueless.

Maybe I'm just stupid and can't grasp it as I'm 56 so there's that.

I spent four days busting my brains trying to figure this stuff out and I can't get it.

So I gave up in disgust and loaded my last save pre-FSUIPC paid version via Acronis.

What I need is a Dummies kind of guide. Pete's guide, especially the advanced is WAY to difficult for me to understand.

I spent ALL day today and tonight trying to read the manual and trying to figure this out, it assumes a body of knowledge which I don't have.

There's too many codes you have to cross-reference and memorize.

All this and no joy, all I wanted was for the three modes to work. But no, I lose 2/3 of my buttons, forget that noise.

I'm going to keep all this and maybe study it later in a better frame of mind but I really do think it's light years over my head.

Especially the editing of the ini file.

Pete may be brilliant but what's needed is a gentler guide, a simpler introduction to it.

I wasted $30 this weekend.

Such is life.

Thanks yet again Al and I really do appreciate it but I'm still clueless.

Maybe I'm just stupid and can't grasp it as I'm 56 so there's that.

Paul,

I think you need to cut back on the reading and experiment a bit! Have you been able to rename the SaiD0BAC.PRO file? If so, pick one of the conditional button lines I provided above and try editing it in Notepad to do want you want. For example, to setup the horizonal moving slide switch on the front right side of the yoke to work with the mode switch in position 2, lines 41 and 42 in my post above would be the place to start (or lines 43 and 44 for the mode switch in position 1). You would of course have to look up the necessary control codes (to replace my aileron or rudder codes) in the FSX & P3D Controls document for what you want this switch to operate in FSX. Read my explanation of what each entry in the switch definition does, and edit accordigly. To see how FSUIPC "sees" a switch, load a flight and then open the Buttons + Switches tab of FSUIPC, move the switch and see how FSUIPC identifies it. When you think you made the edits you need, paste the resulting lines into FSUIPC.ini under [buttons] and see if the horizontal switch works with the mode switch as intended (you may have to reload the flight or restart FSX).  If it doesn't work, try making a small change and retest. You can also post here what you have tried. Little by little you will get the hang of it. In my opinion, you can't spend hours reading page and page of information and then be able to just "do it". You need to pick something small and give it try. It all take time.

Al

BTW, I'm a lot older than you. :)

Hi Al, thanks again for your explanation.

That's just it, I spent the entire day yesterday with the manual in front of the computer going through it.

I had a window open so I could look at what FSUIPC was doing with the ini file.

I saw it would add some lines to it as I programmed a button.

But something odd kept happening.

As I was reading, with FSX open and my plane on he runway, I kept seeing an occasional flash of whit on my screen.  So I stopped reading and watched it.  What was happening was a white box would pop up with the word "Loading" in it for just a second and then go away.  This would happen every five minutes or so.  It never happened with the older freeware version of FSUIPC.

Also, try as I might I followed that tutorial about Trusted Installer and couldn't give it Administer rights.  

Here's the text of my last attempt at FSUIPC though, I saved it on a thumb drive.

[JoyNames]

AutoAssignLetters=Yes
0=Saitek Pro Flight Yoke
0.GUID={6E68D0C0-70D7-11E4-8003-444553540000}
1=Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals
1.GUID={BD42D1F0-70D7-11E4-8005-444553540000}
A=Saitek Pro Flight Yoke
B=Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

[WideServer]
WideFSenabled=Yes

[Monitor]
[Axes]
PollInterval=10
RangeRepeatRate=10

[buttons]
PollInterval=25
ButtonRepeat=20,10
3=RA,2,K50,11
4=RA,3,K49,11
6=PA,1,K90,8
7=PA,14,K117,8
8=PA,15,K119,8
9=PA,17,K71,8
10=PA,16,K190,10
11=PA,0,K145,8
12=PA,6,K76,10
13=PA,7,K66,8
14=PA,4,K191,9
15=PA,5,K191,8
16=PA,19,K80,9
17=PA,18,K49,8

As I was reading, with FSX open and my plane on he runway, I kept seeing an occasional flash of whit on my screen.  So I stopped reading and watched it.  What was happening was a white box would pop up with the word "Loading" in it for just a second and then go away.  This would happen every five minutes or so.  It never happened with the older freeware version of FSUIPC.

Sounds like you enabled the option in FSUIPC to keep the FS time synchronised with your PCs time, and one of them is running slower than the other. FS reloads things, to get shadows etc correct, if the time changes more than one minute. You can set the sync to only change the seconds, not the minutes, or just turn the option off. It isn't on by default.

There's no difference whatsoever between "older freeware" and "newer paid" (except of course any new facilities and fixes added in the newer version). What you insist on calling a "freeware" version is merely an unregistered full version. It just does nothing for users, it is an interface for application programs. Registration enabled the user facilities. The rest doesn't change.

Pete

Until you can rename or delete the SaiD0BAC.PRO file you won't be able to use the different positions of the Saitek Mode switch with FSUIPC, so that is your first priority I would expect. I'd keep looking on Google for ideas on how to deal with the Trusted Installer issue.

I'm not to sure about the [Joy Names] section you posted above. If names ( A and B) have been automatically assigned, I think there should be entries like :

A.GUID={6E68D0C0-70D7-11E4-8003-444553540000}      for the yoke, and
B.GUID={BD42D1F0-70D7-11E4-8005-444553540000}     for the rudder peddles.

But it may be that those entries don't show up until FSUIPC is actually loaded and running (can't remember), so it may be OK.  (See pages 25 and 26 of the FSUIPC User's Guide.)

I would focus on the Trusted Installer issue for now.

Al

Al, this is what has been driving me insane. {6E68D0C0-70D7-11E4-.......} THIS! How did you learn this?

How am I supposed to learn this?

These numbers are complete and total out and out gibberish to me which frustrates me to no end.

I can't even begin to understand what I'm doing when I see stuff like this.

It's like reading ancient Mesopotamian writing.

There's absolutely no reference anywhere I have googled that describes how to interpret this.

I finally figured out a way to get it off the trusted installer and to administrator, I just did that one file per that site you sent me.

And FSUIPC was up and running because I had the plane sitting there and tested each button press while watching the flaps move for example.

So I know it was working.

I'll have to reinstall the newer version, register it, NOT set it to keep the clock synched per Pete's above post and attempt it yet again but I have to tell you, I'm frustrated by a lack of knowledge.

So many people tell me to just read the advanced manual yet when I do all I see are endless codes and nothing to explain them to me in layman's terms.

I WISH someone would actually write a book or good article from a BEGINNER's standpoint.

Sorry, just very frustrated at my inabiity to grasp it all.

I simply don't have the body of knowledge you and others have..

Ok, here's my entire list of commands as it stands now.

I have noticed yesterday when setting button assignments in FSUIPC WITH Controller DISabled in FSX's settings I can still use the keyboard commands for things that are assigned in FSX's button commands.

I never got a chance to set up the axes as I was more concerned with buttons.

Yoke & throttle commands in Saitek SST

Mode 1

Left yoke (red) - Call ATC (Keyboard Scroll Lock)

A1 - Trim down - (Keyboard CTRL + SHIFT + 2)

A2 - Trim up - (Keyboard CTRL + SHIFT + 1)

B1 - Arm speedbrake - (Keyboard SHIFT + /)

B2 - Deploy speedbrake - (Keyboard /)

C1 - Landing lights - (Keyboard CTRL + L)

C2 - Reset baro - (Keyboard B)

Right yoke (red) - A/P disconnect - (Keyboard Z)

Mode 2

Left yoke (red) - Reset view - (Keyboard Backspace)

A1 - Zoom in - (Keyboard = )

A2 - Zoom out - (Keyboard - )

B1 - Spot plane - (Keyboard S)

B2 - Cycle views - (Keyboard A)

C1 - View 1 key - (Keyboard 1)

C2 - View 2 key - (Keyboard 2)

Right yoke (red) - (Keyboard Shift)

Mode 3

Left yoke (red) - UNUSED

A1 - TRIR pause - (Keyboard F9)

A2 - TRIR center - (Keyboard F12)

B1 - UNUSED

B2 - UNUSED

C1 - UNUSED

C2 - UNUSED

Right yoke (red) - UNUSED

Throttle Quadrant

Mode 1

T1 - Flaps up - (Keyboard F6)

T2 - Flaps down - (Keyboard F8)

T3 - Parking brake - (Keyboard Ctrl + .)

T4 - Gear (Keyboard G)

T5 - UNUSED

T6 - Pushback - (Keyboard SHIFT + P)

Mode 2 - (Most are EZCA view cameras)

T1 - View 3 key - (Keyboard 3)

T2 - View 4 key - (Keyboard 4)

T3 - View 5 key - (Keyboard 5)

T4 - View 6 key - (Keyboard 6)

T5 - View 7 key - (Keyboard 7)

T6 - View 8 key - (Keyboard 8)

Mode 3

T1 - Jetway - (Keyboard CTRL + J)

T2 - GSX - (Keyboard CTRL + F12)

T3 - UNUSED

T4 - UNUSED

T5 - Water rudder - (Keyboard CTRL + W)

T6 - UNUSED

Z - Reverser - Axis F2 down and F2 up on keyboard on throttle quadrant

Prop and fuel levers controlled by FSX

Al, this is what has been driving me insane. {6E68D0C0-70D7-11E4-.......} THIS! How did you learn this?

How am I supposed to learn this?

These numbers are complete and total out and out gibberish to me which frustrates me to no end.

I can't even begin to understand what I'm doing when I see stuff like this.

It's like reading ancient Mesopotamian writing.

There's absolutely no reference anywhere I have googled that describes how to interpret this.

I finally figured out a way to get it off the trusted installer and to administrator, I just did that one file per that site you sent me.

And FSUIPC was up and running because I had the plane sitting there and tested each button press while watching the flaps move for example.

So I know it was working.

I'll have to reinstall the newer version, register it, NOT set it to keep the clock synched per Pete's above post and attempt it yet again but I have to tell you, I'm frustrated by a lack of knowledge.

So many people tell me to just read the advanced manual yet when I do all I see are endless codes and nothing to explain them to me in layman's terms.

I WISH someone would actually write a book or good article from a BEGINNER's standpoint.

Sorry, just very frustrated at my inabiity to grasp it all.

I simply don't have the body of knowledge you and others have..

I also have no idea what the {6E68D0C0-70D7-11E4-.......} means, how it was determined, etc -- FSUIPC generates and takes care of that You are trying to do to much!

OK, with that troublesome Saitek file renamed, and with FSUIPC running and with the Buttons + Switches tab open, if you move the Mode Switch FSUIPC should "see" it and respond.

I suggest you now go back to my posts that show the conditional switch setup for the "horizontal" switch on the yoke and see if you can edit what I have to what meets your needs for that switch.

I would not worry about PMDG until you can get things working for a default FSX a/c.

Al