The simFlight Network Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jjaycee

Showairlinelabels in P3D

As you know P3D does not have an option in Traffic/settings to Show airline Label whic I find disappointing as i like to know what airline i am looking at. The P3D cfg has the option to set airline labels but it doesn't work. I have FTX products and I looked at the free traffic file for FTX AU & NZ traffic. I ran it and noticed that the airline labels were showing, Air NewZealand, Eagle Air etc.

I asked about how this happens in FTX AU/NZ traffic files but not seeing the airline label in MT6. It has to do with the source data having to be in the particular aircraft cfg. I took a comparison of the one FTX AU NZ aircraft and the same make/model aircraft in MT6. I immediately noticed that there was a difference.

P3D allows "Manufacturer" details to be displayed and MT6 will for example under that heading ui_manufacturer=  MT Boeing. In the FTX file the airline name is in the ui_manufacturer entry.

I then copied and pasted the ui_variation= desription from MT6 and replaced the ui_manufacturer entry to read the same as the MT6 ui_variation= description.

Sounds difficult but below i will give you an example of what i am doing.

1. Original MT6 cfg entry:

[fltsim.1]
title=EF2000 MyPaint01
sim=EF2000
model=
texture=My01
ui_manufacturer=MT Eurofighter
ui_type=EF 2000 Typhoon
ui_variation=AMI 4th Stormo 
atc_airline=Italy Air Force
ATC_PARKING_TYPES=MIL_COMBAT
atc_parking_codes=
description=Next Generation Fighter

2. Revised cfg entry(note the difference in ui_manufacturer)
[fltsim.1]
title=EF2000 MyPaint01
sim=EF2000
model=
texture=My01
ui_manufacturer=AMI 4th Stormo 
ui_type=EF 2000 Typhoon
ui_variation=AMI 4th Stormo 
atc_airline=Italy Air Force
ATC_PARKING_TYPES=MIL_COMBAT
atc_parking_codes=
description=Next Generation Fighter
 You will now get the plane to show:
AMI 4th Stormo 

EF 2000 Typhoon when it shows up instead of MT Eurofighter/EF 2000 Typhoon.

This is a painstaking job if you want to see all the aircraft labels show up the actual airlines but I have done it on a few that appear regularly in my sim, e.g 747's. Airbus etc.

Burkhard: Is there a possibility of the changes being made in the future, or is the a quicker way to do the changes I have shown solely for those of us using P3D?

So you propose to put the contents of ui_variation also into ui_manufacturer ? What I can imagine is a little tool that dies this for the user if he wants.

What I cannot imagine is a release that is not working with FSX and FSX/SE, which make up more than 90% of the market.

I understand your point about FSX & FSX SE but surely this is not a problem that could not be overcome. After all you could have a FSX version for people to buy and a P3D version for P3D users to buy. Either that or you still keep it a combined product as it is now and make the "little tool" as an optional downloadable tool. It does not have to be that FSX is working, but P3D is not, nor P3D is working FSX is not.

I hope you will look into it and develop the tool as I know you can do it and it would be nice for the ever increasing P3D customers ( for which you were really the first AI Traffic developer to cater for P3D).

Many thanks.

Hi Burkhard. Is there a quicker way for me to change the "manufacturer" to "variation" process rather than having to go through each and every aircraft cfg and copy/paste the details? I would be extremely grateful if you could advise. It is a very terious process at the moment due to the huge number of planes ans cfg's, but the results are so good i want to do it.

Using Notepad, I would 

1) change all ui_variation= strings to UI_xxx=

2) change all ui_manufacturer= to ui_variation=

3) change all UI_xxx= to ui_manufacturer=

and would be there - make a backup first.