The simFlight Network Forums

EFIS TFC Button

I have an external EFIS attached to my system. However, it does not have TFC button capability. I would like to activate this feature through FSUIPC to a spare button on my yoke. However, there are so many entries available in the FSUIPC dropdown list that I am confused as to which one I should link the button to. Can you assist me please?
Many thanks

I have an external EFIS attached to my system. However, it does not have TFC button capability. I would like to activate this feature through FSUIPC to a spare button on my yoke. However, there are so many entries available in the FSUIPC dropdown list that I am confused as to which one I should link the button to. Can you assist me please?

There isn't such a function provided in FS itself, so there's no FS control for it.  Are you using an add-on aircraft which has Traffic display for the ND?

Pete

Sorry - I now realise that I wasn't clear about the rest of the setup.  I am using P3D v3.1 on a Windows 10 (64 Bit) platform and the simulator version is PMDG 737NGX.  The EFIS is from Open Cockpits (along with an MCP I got for Christmas) and the drivers are provided by OC4BA (rksoftware) by Roar Kristensen which was specifically written for these two P&P models and for PMDG 737NGX.  The EFIS has the one drawback of not having a TFC button whereas everything else works just as it should, which is why I first contacted PMDG about and they referred me to you since it was through the FSUIPC that I am hoping to make a connection with a spare button on my yoke.  I can always use the mouse to activate it, but given that I have such good kit, it would be a shame.  So, is there anything you can think of that would get this to work, please?

Sorry - I now realise that I wasn't clear about the rest of the setup.  I am using P3D v3.1 on a Windows 10 (64 Bit) platform and the simulator version is PMDG 737NGX.  The EFIS is from Open Cockpits (along with an MCP I got for Christmas) and the drivers are provided by OC4BA (rksoftware) by Roar Kristensen which was specifically written for these two P&P models and for PMDG 737NGX.  The EFIS has the one drawback of not having a TFC button whereas everything else works just as it should, which is why I first contacted PMDG about and they referred me to you since it was through the FSUIPC that I am hoping to make a connection with a spare button on my yoke.  I can always use the mouse to activate it, but given that I have such good kit, it would be a shame.  So, is there anything you can think of that would get this to work, please?

Most everything in the NGX is switchable using PMDG's custom controls. You have to find it in their list of controls (it's in the .h file in the SDK which is installed with the NGX), and assign the number you come up with in FSUIPC as a <custom control>.

I think the file is called PMDG_NGX_SDK.h. 

I don't use PMDG aircraft myself, but I did encounter this file when working on the support in FSUIPC for read-outs supplied (when enabled by the user) by the SDK -- hence the document about this installed in your FSUIPC Documents folder (within the Modules fold in P3D). I'm pretty sure there's a complete set of "EVT_EFIS ..." controls, one set for each EFIS (Capt & F.O.).

I'm surprised you haven't already found any need to use any of the others for the rest of the EFIS and MCP functions. Or does the hardware come with a driver already programmed to use these control features in the NGX?

Pete

Thank you for the wonderful response - I will indeed look into that file you mentioned and try it out.

As to the rest of the functions of the EFIS and MCP - everything works really well. OCP4NGX is a software driver that interfaces the Open Cockpits B737 hardware modules on one side and with the PMDG B737 SDK on the other side. See http://flightsim4fun.com/oc4bav3.html for more info.  All the button and knobs are fully functional, and since I added Active Sky Next, the WXR button is right on.  I am so impressed with this bit of kit as it does make for a more realistic overall experience and the cost didn't bust my pension either!  For the main instrument panel I am using two touch screen monitors and with NGX's 2D panels, I can programme the FMC and with a single touch on the ATC screen respond to all ATC messages.  I have a third touch screen monitor for the forward overhead to complete the ensemble - not as good as having proper knobs to twiddle with, but not bad overall.

I will give your instructions a go tomorrow and let you know if it worked in case someone else has the same issue.  The Open Cockpit modules are generally affordable and I imagine there are others "out there" who may have the same issue, so this is a great way to pass on the wisdom.

Many thanks

I had a good session with my sim today and managed to find the file you described.  However, when I went into FSUIPC to try and assign a value, it requires a specific string that was not present in the PMDG_NGX_SDK.h file.  I wanted to upload it but it is too large so here is the relevant bit:

#define EVT_EFIS_CPT_MINIMUMS     (THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN + 355)
#define EVT_EFIS_CPT_FIRST      EVT_EFIS_CPT_MINIMUMS
#define EVT_EFIS_CPT_MINIMUMS_RADIO_BARO  (THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN + 356) 
#define EVT_EFIS_CPT_MINIMUMS_RST    (THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN + 357) 
#define EVT_EFIS_CPT_VOR_ADF_SELECTOR_L   (THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN + 358) 
#define EVT_EFIS_CPT_MODE      (THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN + 359) 
#define EVT_EFIS_CPT_MODE_CTR     (THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN + 360) 
#define EVT_EFIS_CPT_RANGE      (THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN + 361) 
#define EVT_EFIS_CPT_RANGE_TFC     (THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN + 362) 
#define EVT_EFIS_CPT_FPV      (THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN + 363) 
#define EVT_EFIS_CPT_MTRS      (THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN + 364) 
#define EVT_EFIS_CPT_BARO      (THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN + 365) 
#define EVT_EFIS_CPT_BARO_IN_HPA    (THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN + 366) 
#define EVT_EFIS_CPT_BARO_STD     (THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN + 367)   
#define EVT_EFIS_CPT_VOR_ADF_SELECTOR_R   (THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN + 368) 
#define EVT_EFIS_CPT_WXR      (THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN + 369) 
#define EVT_EFIS_CPT_STA      (THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN + 370) 
#define EVT_EFIS_CPT_WPT      (THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN + 371) 
#define EVT_EFIS_CPT_ARPT      (THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN + 372) 
#define EVT_EFIS_CPT_DATA      (THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN + 373) 
#define EVT_EFIS_CPT_POS      (THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN + 374) 
#define EVT_EFIS_CPT_TERR      (THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN + 375) 
#define EVT_EFIS_CPT_LAST      EVT_EFIS_CPT_TERR

As you can see there are no numbers or hexadecimal values to enter into the relevant field. So I am back to where I began.  Are you able to make sense out of this?  I fear I am not a programmer and this does look a bit daunting.

I had a good session with my sim today and managed to find the file you described.  However, when I went into FSUIPC to try and assign a value, it requires a specific string that was not present in the PMDG_NGX_SDK.h file.  I wanted to upload it but it is too large so here is the relevant bit:

#define EVT_EFIS_CPT_MINIMUMS     (THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN + 355)

#define EVT_EFIS_CPT_FIRST      EVT_EFIS_CPT_MINIMUMS

#define EVT_EFIS_CPT_MINIMUMS_RADIO_BARO  (THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN + 356) 

#define EVT_EFIS_CPT_MINIMUMS_RST    (THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN + 357) 

#define EVT_EFIS_CPT_VOR_ADF_SELECTOR_L   (THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN + 358) 

#define EVT_EFIS_CPT_MODE      (THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN + 359) 

#define EVT_EFIS_CPT_MODE_CTR     (THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN + 360) 

#define EVT_EFIS_CPT_RANGE      (THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN + 361) 

#define EVT_EFIS_CPT_FPV      (THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN + 363) 

#define EVT_EFIS_CPT_MTRS      (THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN + 364) 

#define EVT_EFIS_CPT_BARO      (THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN + 365) 

#define EVT_EFIS_CPT_BARO_IN_HPA    (THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN + 366) 

#define EVT_EFIS_CPT_BARO_STD     (THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN + 367)   

#define EVT_EFIS_CPT_VOR_ADF_SELECTOR_R   (THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN + 368) 

#define EVT_EFIS_CPT_WXR      (THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN + 369) 

#define EVT_EFIS_CPT_STA      (THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN + 370) 

#define EVT_EFIS_CPT_WPT      (THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN + 371) 

#define EVT_EFIS_CPT_ARPT      (THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN + 372) 

#define EVT_EFIS_CPT_DATA      (THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN + 373) 

#define EVT_EFIS_CPT_POS      (THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN + 374) 

#define EVT_EFIS_CPT_TERR      (THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN + 375) 

#define EVT_EFIS_CPT_LAST      EVT_EFIS_CPT_TERR

As you can see there are no numbers or hexadecimal values to enter into the relevant field. So I am back to where I began.  Are you able to make sense out of this?  I fear I am not a programmer and this does look a bit daunting.

Those are numbers. You add the value defined for THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN, earlier in the file to the number shown.

i.e. for Captain's TFC, from your extract:

It's as it says, the numerical value of  THIRD_PARTY_EVENT_ID_MIN plus the number 362.

It was only a matter of looking! I can't do it for you, I don't currently have access to the file.

Future questions about PMDG products are best directed the PMDG support forums., please.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

I have managed to get it all sorted out.  Apparently when Roar Kristensen (the programmer for OC4BA) wrote the programme for the EFIS and MCP (from Open Cockpits) he included a way to activate both the CTR and the TFC buttons.  He set it up to press twice on the DATA button to activate TFC and twice on the WPT button to activate CTR.

It wasn't something that was published anywhere for someone like me to learn about it, but now I know, if anyone else has this problem, then this is the answer.

Thank you for taking the time and trouble with me.  It is very much appreciated

• Upvote 1

Hello

I have managed to get it all sorted out.  Apparently when Roar Kristensen (the programmer for OC4BA) wrote the programme for the EFIS and MCP (from Open Cockpits) he included a way to activate both the CTR and the TFC buttons.  He set it up to press twice on the DATA button to activate TFC and twice on the WPT button to activate CTR.

It wasn't something that was published anywhere for someone like me to learn about it, but now I know, if anyone else has this problem, then this is the answer.

Thank you for taking the time and trouble with me.  It is very much appreciated

Ok. Thanks for getting back with the solution.

Pete