The simFlight Network Forums

PMDG 737 Overhead project

Hi guys 

I Have just bought an overhead and I have made my own interface card which is fully working however this is the first project I have ever attempted and I am looking at getting the switch data from the card to the pmdg737NGX. I have a few questions for you all,

First of all is it possible to do this

Is it that difficult to assign the commands to the switches and do I need to use the Offset codes which I found online.

If someone could possibly help me and give me a bit of a tutorial to achieving this if it is at all possible. 

Thanks Ryan

I Have just bought an overhead and I have made my own interface card which is fully working however this is the first project I have ever attempted and I am looking at getting the switch data from the card to the pmdg737NGX. I have a few questions for you all,

First of all is it possible to do this

Yes, it should be. See the SDK folder in your NGX installation. That includes a complete set of "custom controls" you can use for inputs to the NGX.

Is it that difficult to assign the commands to the switches and do I need to use the Offset codes which I found online.

No. Almost nothing in the NGX uses FS variables, which is what the offsets contain. You need to use custom control assignments.

Pete

I have also noticed a problem with fsuipc with p3d v3 every time it is installed it crashes p3d on the splash screen and I know it is fsuipc because all of my other add ons have been taken off also did a complete clean install but still did it.

I have also noticed a problem with fsuipc with p3d v3 every time it is installed it crashes p3d on the splash screen and I know it is fsuipc because all of my other add ons have been taken off also did a complete clean install but still did it.

But most other P3D3 + FSUIPC users are fine? Explain that.

I cannot help you with no information. Maybe you are using an out of date and incompatible FSUIPC4. Maybe you have corrupt wxstationlist.bin or .WX files. There are many things outside of FSUIPC itself which can case a crash when FSUIPC is running.

FSUIPC makes a run-time log called FSUIPC4.LOG, every time it runs. If you want me to help rather than just make accusations then I need to see it. You'll find it in the Modules folder -- paste its contents into a message here. I also need the Windows crash details. You'll find those in the Windows event viewer.

Pete

********* FSUIPC4, Version 4.949p by Pete Dowson *********

Prepar3D.exe version = 3.0.10.14945

Reading options from "C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\Modules\FSUIPC4.ini"

Running inside Prepar3D v3 on Windows 8.0

Module base=5B0C0000

User Name="Ryan Coulson"

User Addr="96rc90@googlemail.com"

FSUIPC4 Key is provided

WIDEFS7 not user registered, or expired

47 System time = 01/05/2016 23:54:07

47 FLT path = "C:\Users\ryanc\OneDrive\Documents\Prepar3D v3 Files\"

47 ------ Module Version Check ------

47        acontain.dll: 3.0.10.14945

47             api.dll: 3.0.10.14945

47        controls.dll: 3.0.10.14945

47      fs-traffic.dll: 3.0.10.14945

47             G3D.dll: 3.0.10.14945

47        language.dll: 3.0.10.14945

47            sim1.dll: 3.0.10.14945

47        visualfx.dll: 3.0.10.14945

47         weather.dll: 3.0.10.14945

47          window.dll: 3.0.10.14945

47 ----------------------------------

47 Trying C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\Modules\SimConnectP3D3.dll

47 Found it: trying to connect

62 FS path = "C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\"

359 ---------------------- Joystick Device Scan -----------------------

359 Product= Saitek Pro Flight Yoke

359    Manufacturer= Saitek

359    Vendor=06A3, Product=0BAC (Version 3.4)

359    Serial Number= Saitek

359 -------------------------------------------------------------------

390 LogOptions=00000000 00000001

390 -------------------------------------------------------------------

390 ------ Setting the hooks and direct calls into the simulator ------

390 --- CONTROLS timer memory location obtained ok

390 --- SIM1 Frictions access gained

390 --- FS Controls Table located ok

390 --- Installed Mouse Macro hooks ok.

390 --- Wind smoothing fix is installed

390 --- All links okay (except older global weather setting method)

390 -------------------------------------------------------------------

390 SimConnect_Open succeeded: waiting to check version okay

390 Trying to use SimConnect Prepar3D

937 Exception 5 "VERSION_MISMATCH", Ref 1, Version 0.60905: Open: SimConnect Version incorrect!

937 Trying another version of SimConnect ...

1047 Trying C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\Modules\SimConnectP3D3.dll

1047 Found it: trying to connect

1047 SimConnect_Open succeeded: waiting to check version okay

1140 Exception 5 "VERSION_MISMATCH", Ref 1, Version 0.60905: Open: SimConnect Version incorrect!

1140 Trying another version of SimConnect ...

4203 Trying C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\Modules\SimConnectP3D3.dll

4203 Found it: trying to connect

4203 SimConnect_Open succeeded: waiting to check version okay

4203 Exception 5 "VERSION_MISMATCH", Ref 1, Version 0.60905: Open: SimConnect Version incorrect!

4203 Trying another version of SimConnect ...

This is the windows crash event log 

Faulting application name: Prepar3D.exe, version: 3.0.10.14945, time stamp: 0x560b4abe
Faulting module name: SimConnectP3D3.dll, version: 3.2.2.16659, time stamp: 0x5715ea8c
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000046a7
Faulting process id: 0x1d3c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d1a441569fb810
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\Prepar3D.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\Modules\SimConnectP3D3.dll
Report Id: 053b75f3-3eae-408a-bbc0-a87c56296425
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Just to let you know I fixed it turns out there was a new version 

Yes. The problem was that you were still on an old version of P3D3 (3.0). There are two other recent threads where I provided interim solutions (a pre-release of the DLL supplied with version 4.95. See this one, for example:

fsuipc-p3d-crash-on-startup

As I explained in those threads, it seems L-M introduced, for the first time I think, some backward incompatibility into the few older functions FSUIPC uses. The revised SimConnect module is built with the P3D version 3.0 library.

I'm actually quite surprised to see that's now 3 users reporting here who've not bothered to update their P3D3 to the latest and greatest. No one has explained why yet.

Pete

I may sound like an idiot but it is the first time I have ever used this software I would appreciate it a lot if someone could explain to me in a tutorial kind of form how to set a custom control for my PMDG 737 NGX as when I go on custom control and put the offset code in it says it's invalid. Like i say its the first time I have ever attempted something like this.

Thanks Ryan

The PMDG controls are nothing to do with "offsets". They are control numbers, documented by PMDG not by me.

In FSUIPC you assign to <custom contro> and enter the control number, which I think has to be computed from the list in the .h file in the PMDG SDK folder.

This is really a PMDG support question. I've provided a facility for you to assign custom controls, but I do not use any PMDG products and cannot operate as their support.

Have you tried PMDG forums at all?

Pete