The simFlight Network Forums

FEELTHERE ANNOUNCES THE LATEST GENERATION OF ITS TOWER! SIMULATOR - TOWER!3D

FeelThere_Vic

My 'initial' thoughts (and some 'minor' issues that maybe Vic can help out on):

Played the TIST tutorial.  It was just enough to get your 'feet' wet, which is what a tutorial does.  Then I went to KPHL at 1400.  As posted by jmesty, I wish there was a way to adjust traffic.  I had planes popping up left and right.  I did have to delete one plane (Denali 1161) as he wasn't moving, and was one of the first planes to call for taxi.  The others taxied just fine, and no, there wasn't any other 'planes' in his way. 

I saw no way to 'assign' taxiways.  I may have to experiment with this (maybe insert the taxiway letter in the command line??).  For that to happen, I will need to print out the taxiway diagram. EDIT:  I found that you can right-click on the taxiway(s) on the ADIRS to choose the routing.  Right-click again to 'deselect' that routing.  The routing assignment goes up in the command line so you can see, especially if you have the airport diagram in front of you.  I found this on accident, but works great.

Looks like multi-monitor support is non-existent.  Would be nice to move the radars and app/dep list over to the other monitor.

Graphics are excellent (and I'm not going to be 'picky' about red beacon on tail, either).  Haven't played with any weather yet so can't comment.

Thoughts on some of these, Vic?  All in all, I think it is a great product, especially for $30.  This is MY opinion.  Some may be disappointed but for me, this will give me hours and hours of fun (but sure would like multi-monitor support).

Rob

35 minutes ago, robnpat said:

Looks like multi-monitor support is non-existent.  Would be nice to move the radars and app/dep list over to the other monitor.

I second this observation.  The lack of any ability to move the radars and strips to another monitor is a real disappointment, as this feature was present in Tower2011.  Please find a way to resolve this.

Also, have departing AC report when they are ready for takeoff, and for arriving AC report 'taxi to terminal'.  If you aren't watching and you give taxi instructions for departure, your plane will just wait at the 'Hold' line at their assigned runway without any word that they are ready.  If real life, the departing AC will contact tower for takeoff clearance, but in this, they are just silent, waiting for you to say something. 

Having a ball with KLAX.  I did try some stormy weather.  Effects were very impressive

6 minutes ago, robnpat said:

If you aren't watching and you give taxi instructions for departure, your plane will just wait at the 'Hold' line at their assigned runway without any word that they are ready. 

Tower!2011 works the same way. 

1.  I generally like the slower airplane movements relative to Tower2011, however, in some cases the movements are unrealistically slow.  In particular when clearing aircraft onto the runway for takeoff, they take for ever to get lined up.  I have spent a lot of time spotting at real world commercial airports, and usually airliners are not nearly this slow pulling out onto the runway.

2. I had one aircraft that arrived at its gate and then began to slowly spin in 360 degree circles with its nose swiping through the building and jetway.  This continued until I issued the "taxi to the terminal" command again, at which point the aircraft parked backwards into the gate.  It appeared to be a 767.  I only saw this once during perhaps an hour of play, but it was quite a bizarre spectacle.

3. We need more view positions at big airports like KLAX.   Ideally, would be views from each individual ramp tower.  Also, it would also be helpful to have a binocular view that would give us a close up zoom on distant parts of the airport. 

4. The graphics are rather grainy looking, almost cartoonish at times, though I recognize that compromises had to be made so that the game could run smoothly.  I presume that ATC sims require a large amount of CPU power due to the unusually large number of moving objects on screen, and the computations needed to accurately keep track of them all..

5. I find that the game sometimes hangs when exiting a scenario, failing to making it back to the main menu.  In this case I must close the window and restart the sim in order to play another session.

6. Once more I want to reiterate the need for multi monitor support.

7. I also note that there is no manual, and no in-game info on how to adjust the schedules (it was stated earlier that schedules were easier to modify than before).  Such info would be especially useful since there is no slider in settings for adjusting the traffic level.

8. Landing lights should be visible on approaching aircraft while still in the air, even in daylight.

9. Overall, I feel this is a good start, as long as it continues to be refined.

hi guys, very new to this. on the arriving planes, do they have to be routed to the runway listed or can you route them to any available runway you are using? for example i have active runways 7l, 7r, 24l and 24r, a arriving plane shows 7l, but i have nothing going to 24r, if i instruct cleared to final 24r and then cleared to land, is that ok or will that cause a penalty?

1 hour ago, Granman said:

Opening graphics look great. I have the same starting issue as each airport gets to 70% and then hangs. I can hear the sound in the background but nothing after that.

I will second this, my screen also gets to 70% and nothing happens after that.

Hi,

I have not purchased the game yet (got 8 hours of work ahead of me), but I wanted to give my 2 cents on some of the items brought up.

1. Multi-monitor support is a must for me personally, as I'm currently playing Tower!2011 and Tracon!2012 with radars and strips spread around my 3 monitors

2. Slider support to control the amount of planes arriving or departing (nice to have for me).

Well I'm off for work :-(

Dear Folks,

From now on, please open a new topic for each issues. We will stop monitoring this topic so we can focus on helping you promptly.

Please make sure to run tower3d.bat if you have any problem then it will create a log file. We need it for each report. Without it, we can't look into the reported problem.

Thank you

Vic

3 hours ago, dodge03 said:

hi guys, very new to this. on the arriving planes, do they have to be routed to the runway listed or can you route them to any available runway you are using? for example i have active runways 7l, 7r, 24l and 24r, a arriving plane shows 7l, but i have nothing going to 24r, if i instruct cleared to final 24r and then cleared to land, is that ok or will that cause a penalty?

First of all please don't select opposite runways for landing.

For LAX we recommend 24R and 25L for landing and you can send planes to 24L and 25R for takeoff for a smooth operation.

7 hours ago, hartleecub said:

Installed just fine but stops loading any airport at 30%, saying windows detected an error, and the program shuts down.

Mike

I had the same problem Mike, like another post Said , Run as administrator and that seemed to work for me

Russell

Edited by Russellfire
Spelling

THIS PART IS REMOVED. IF YOU HAVE AN ISSUE TO REPORT PLEASE OPEN A NEW TOPIC AND POST YOUR LOG. WITHOUT IT IT WILL BE REMOVED.

Why the environmental sounds? They're obtrusive at TIST even with the slider turned off and unrealistic unless the

tower is open-air. Don't need 'em. Trees blowing in the wind is nice but that has to use  cpu power better

used in graphics. Lack of a manual - big problem. Finding out how to use the game through accidental discovery is not suitable and

frustrating, the skimpy tutorial notwithstanding. The airplanes "hop" into the air on liftoff - unrealistic. This is a start but I hope that

the pro version is better.