The simFlight Network Forums

After a few flight STB gives up

Hi, recently I have been flying for long periods of time. Sometimes over 4 hours straight and I have a small issue. If I start at one airport and then do several trips to different airports at one point the wrong ai is showing for the airport that I am at. For example when I click on a plane due to taxi out then when I click on it then it shows the wrong airplane and the wrong status. If I disconnect STB then It sends me back to the start airport and the ai is correct. it's not a big deal but it does break up the flow of flying to different airports from where you just arrived to. Have you heard of this problem before? thank you

7 hours ago, diceflo said:

when I click on it then it shows the wrong airplane and the wrong status.

One of the problems with the SimConnect interface is the implementation of View AI is not the best.  It relies on me locating the AI in a list of all AI under simulation, then sending in a number of cycle commands to switch the view to that AI.  However the situation inside the simulator can change during all that and the number of cycle commands can become incorrect while there still be sent (for example, an AI is deleted before the cycle is complete.  The camera and observer system in Prepar3D is much better, it that's the simulator you are using it would be interesting to see if this problem can be reprodced with the new AI View available (not "View AI", but rather "View Left Body" etc.).

7 hours ago, diceflo said:

If I disconnect STB then It sends me back to the start airport and the ai is correct.

Not sure I understand what "sends me back to the start airport" means.

Simon

Hi, I am using P3D v2 and what I meant was when I load up the game and choose Miami as the starting airport then I fly to Chicago, Los Angeles, Boston... and the problem then happens in Boston. When I disconnect STB while sitting in Boston, then I am sent back to Miami and sitting back on the runway when I started.  I always use shadow aircraft because I have less problems with some add on airports with that view. What are the new views and where are they found? thanks

20 hours ago, diceflo said:

Hi, I am using P3D v2 and what I meant was when I load up the game and choose Miami as the starting airport then I fly to Chicago, Los Angeles, Boston... and the problem then happens in Boston. When I disconnect STB while sitting in Boston, then I am sent back to Miami and sitting back on the runway when I started. 

Ever since the FSX days, there is occasionally a problem with "View AI" showing the wrong aircraft.  This happens when the internal simulator list of AI aircraft no longer matches the information published to STB over SimConnect.  It seems to be time related, the longer your simulator session, the more possibility of witnessing it.  It may also be scenario and user specific, not everyone sees this problem and it does not necessarily occur every time.  Without correct information, STB may not sent in the right number of "view cycle" commands as described above.

Whenever the "Follow AI" or "Shadow AI" features are used, STB takes direct control of the user aircraft.  When you are finished with those, STB places you back at the airport where you last had control (Boston in your case) returns control of the aircraft back to you.  Disconnect STB from Prepar3D is one example of ending Shadow AI.  Since you have a significant location change, Prepar3D will regenerate all traffic and that typically corrects any internal "View AI List" problems that have occurred in the simulator.

20 hours ago, diceflo said:

What are the new views and where are they found? thanks

Sorry to say those are only available with Prepar3D V3 at this time.  I may be able to introduce a better Shadow AI implementation using that platform.

Simon

Just checking back in, have you heard of this new product for p3d that controls ai planes.  I have never heard of this and wanted to bring it to your attention. In this crazy world, I want to make sure it's a legitimate program and not someone stealing your files or whatever. If you are aware of this program, can you tell me what benefits STB has over this new program.

It's called ai controller and I have not done much research on it. There does not seem to be a website but just a download link which for me is not good. I don't want to get in trouble but just thought you should be aware of it. There are some videos of it in game but again, I haven't invested too much time into watching them, one is 30 minutes long.

AI Controller is worth checking out.  In the brief time I spent looking at it, there's some interesting possibilities for managing AI routing, SID, STARS, runway and gate selection etc.  STB does not have these capabilities, my focus is more on Passenger Information Board simulation, viewing AI, optimising traffic, interacting with AI through basic commands such as depart now, arrive now, etc.  There may be some overlap between the two in a few areas, but I seem them both as being complimentary rather than competitive.

Simon