The simFlight Network Forums
Scott Robinson

FSC 9.6 rev 7 Main window issues (answered)

I installed rev 7 and now the main windows keeps popping to the top about 15 secs after it loses focus. Previously the main window only popped to the top when crossing a flightplan waypoint. It also pops in front of the dialog that is used to select STARS etc... This is with always on top unchecked. I went back to 9.6 rev 1 and the problems went away. It makes it really annoying for me to use rev 7 so I'll have to wait for a fix. BTW, this is on Windows 10.

Thanks,
Scott

Please, I have the same issue, I register and installed yesterday the version 9.6 rev 7 on win 10 and the program refocuses every 15 secs, bothering a lot when I am doing anything on my computer while flying.

Hello there,

this topic is tagged as "Answered" while i don't see any solution being given. I have the same problem since updating to rev. 7

It is, for the least I can say, very (as in very) frustrating to have my FSC window popping on top every 10-15 seconds! I am using FSC on a networked PC where I also have my IVAO Ivap client running. Whanever I need to type in messages on the IVAO network there is that FSC window popping up in front...

Any solution here?

thank you in advance.

Thibault Dosunmu

2 minutes ago, Volker Heine said:

Hi Thibault,

have you read this: http://forum.simflight.com/topic/60271-important-everyone-please-read/ ?

Volker

Here we go then...

1. Prepar3D 3.4.22
2. FSUIPC + WieFS 4.96
3. FSC is used on client PC connecting to the P3D PC using WideFS

4. FS Commander and Database Manager version 9.6 Rev. 7 Build: 30-May-2016
5. Navigraph Airac 1702 Rev.1
6. FSC downloaded version from your website
7. Win 7 x64
8. 1 monitor on Client + 1 monitor on Server

Complementary info:The problem as  described was nonexistent prior to the update to the Rev 7.

Thanks again.

Thibault Dosunmu

Hi Thibault,

As I wrote it in thread # 2;
I can not verify your problem.

The function to manage the focus is as old as the FlightSim Commander .
It was never necessary to change anything inside the function. Especially not in the revision 7.

I have a similar network configuration as you.

Using the FlightSim Commander on a client via WideFS and also fly at IVAO.
I also typing texts into IvAp. The FlightSim Commander has never stolen the IvAp focus.
There is an exception: A refresh of the Map always steals the focus.

Please read the attached URL.
Quite certainly your settings do not meet the specifications. Publish here screenshots of your settings.
Window-> Options->
1 screenshot from the Display Tab
1 screenshot from the Flight Tab
1 screenshot from the Online Tab

Regards,

Volker

btw.
Here, the topic of active focus (GUI) is well explained:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focus_(computing

Hi Volker,

Thanks for your prompt answer.

My settings may possibly be off somewhere but I can only say I didn't change them since years ago (apart from the User Call sign of course).

Today I need to disconnect my GPS every time I am to communicate with an ATC who's not using voice because otherwise my WideFS window (which contains the Ivap client) disappears behind the FSC window. So in a way it is workable... you know, anything has a work around but honestly knowing what I had in the previous version makes it a pain in the a.. :)

Best regards,

Thibault Dosunmu

display.png

flight.png

online.png

Same problem with window focus change. Requested information:  BTW Same settings as above pictures except for online.

1. FS X, FS2004(FS9) or Prepar3D (Version)                                                                                             P3D V3.4.18.19475
2. FSUIPC* / WideFS which version used ("latest version" is not sufficient)                                        6.999z1
3. I use the FSC in a network! Yes / No
                                                                                                     YES
4. FS Commander and Database Manager which version / revision and build used                           9.6 Rev 7 build 20 May 2016
5. Which provider and period of the AIRAC Cycle                                                                                  Navigraph 1702 Rev 1
6. Aerosoft boxed or download version or download version from our website                                 download

7. Operating System (Windows 7/8/10 32/64, Vista 32/64, XP, 2000)                                                     Windows 10 64 bit
8. How many monitors are used
                                                                                                               For what? 4 for my desktop flightsim, 1 laptop for FSC 

However, a lightbulb went off in one of your responses. The Map refresh causes a refocus. Too obvious, but I think that is the problem. In order to move the map, a refresh must take place.

Hi Thibault,
I was hoping that the explanations would have helped.

I have made screenshots of your screenshots and have marked settings. .
#01 - Every 10 seconds the map get a refresh.
Disable Move map instead ...
#02 - Disable Autodownload and enable Manual Download   

Regards,

Volker

YourScreenshot_01.jpg

YourScreenshot_02.jpg

Volker,

Thanks for your effort, but as stated by BBQSteve these settings were no problem until this revision. My question was merely why that's the case. In the previous revision the map would take over focus in 2 situations :

- A waypoint of the filed flightplan is reached

- The autodownload takes place

Now the focus seems to be also happening when the map simply moves in order to center the aircraft (that was definitely not the case before)

I am beginning to think that the way it worked before was actually a 'bug' :p

Anyway thank you for your time and support, at least I know what causes my 'problem'

Thibault Dosunmu

• Upvote 1

Dear all,

just informing that I'm also experiencing this problem. Also did not change settings for a along time and they are the very same as they were with previous version / revision of FSC.

Configuration:

* FSX on Desktop with Windows 7 64 bits.

* FSUIPC + WIDEFS

* FSC 9.6 revision 7, 30 May 2016 on laptop with Windows 10.

* Navigraph subscription, latest cycle.

* 1 monitor on desktop + 1 monitor on laptop (its own monitor).

* Using IvAp on desktop.

I didn't try yet to change the settings as you mentioned about but I wouldn't like to loose functionality (like move map instead of aircraft) to solve this issue.

Dear Volker, I know it is probably not easy to find / fix this issue but I wish it could be done because it is very, very annoying.

Thanks in advance and all the best for you.

On 15/02/2017 at 9:26 AM, Antonio Abreu said:

Dear all,

just informing that I'm also experiencing this problem. Also did not change settings for a along time and they are the very same as they were with previous version / revision of FSC.

Configuration:

* FSX on Desktop with Windows 7 64 bits.

* FSUIPC + WIDEFS

* FSC 9.6 revision 7, 30 May 2016 on laptop with Windows 10.

* Navigraph subscription, latest cycle.

* 1 monitor on desktop + 1 monitor on laptop (its own monitor).

* Using IvAp on desktop.

I didn't try yet to change the settings as you mentioned about but I wouldn't like to loose functionality (like move map instead of aircraft) to solve this issue.

Dear Volker, I know it is probably not easy to find / fix this issue but I wish it could be done because it is very, very annoying.

Thanks in advance and all the best for you.

Hello Antonio,

Thanks for you input. Unfortunately I don't think this will change anytime soon as it seems Volker is standing on his position regarding the moving map correctly bringing focus to FSC window. I can live with disabling the moving map (although I agree with you that is not ideal but hey... work you way around issues :p)

As I stated in my last post I actually think that the way it worked before the last revision was actually a bug which did not bring focus to the FSC windows when the map moved.

If I had kept the EXE of the previous revision I would have reverted to it without hesitation, but I wasn't that smart ;p

Best regards,
Thibault Dosunmu

On 4/10/2017 at 10:54 AM, denthibbe said:

Hello Antonio,

Thanks for you input. Unfortunately I don't think this will change anytime soon as it seems Volker is standing on his position regarding the moving map correctly bringing focus to FSC window. I can live with disabling the moving map (although I agree with you that is not ideal but hey... work you way around issues :p)

As I stated in my last post I actually think that the way it worked before the last revision was actually a bug which did not bring focus to the FSC windows when the map moved.

If I had kept the EXE of the previous revision I would have reverted to it without hesitation, but I wasn't that smart ;p

Best regards,
Thibault Dosunmu

Hi Thibault,

I do have version 9.6 upgrade from January 2015. If you want it tell me how to send it.

Regards.

Hi Volker and everyone.

I want to add that after months I came here to see if others were having the same problem as I. Apparently there are. My main concern is that as I fly with focus on FSX I need to correspond by text in IvAp (to explain intentions and report position etc) focus is frequently switched while writing in the IvAp window to FSX which means that buttons pressed for text turn to commands which in turn leads to "lighsts off", "engines off", "pause" and other crucial error commands.

I run FSX Steam Edition on a single computer along with FSC and other apps like FSRealWX with Windows10 64 Pro. The problems occured without changing settings with the FSC but I have made all the upgrades provided by FSC. The issue is present wether I run Ivap internally or externally.

I would like a program change of FSC so that the issue of IvAp writing doesn't switch to unwanted FSX commands if it is at all possible.

My settings are "Move map instead of aircraft" and "Autodownload every three minutes (the focus swithcing occurs much more often, that is to say at every map move)".

* FSX on Desktop with Windows 10 64 Pro.

* FSUIPC4.9.6

* FSC 9.6 revision 8, 28 April 2017 on the same desktiop with Windows 10.

* Navigraph subscription, AIRAC 17.08 Rev.1

* 3 monitors on desktop (FSC Flightplan on other monitor than FSX window..

* Using IvAp external on desktop.

Regards,

Tommy Engman

An active program is always the owner of Focus. This is a property of Windows and understandable to every user

If, at the same time, several programs are executed, only the program selected by the user can have the focus except ...

Now we come after the introduction to the individual points which must be observed

There are programs of which you know that they steal the focus
This includes, for example, IVAP
Strangely, it does not matter to most users and does not pay attention

Then there are programs like the FSCommander which steal the focus.
They perform an operation such as a refresh of the map, but immediately return the focus to the flight simulator
To do this, the Focus back to Flight Simulator option must be enabled

Now it is only about how often the FSCommander steals the focus

This can influence the user, but not turn off.
Option: Disable "Move the map instead of the aircraft"
Option: Disable "Zoom with the Mouse Wheel"
Option: "Disable Online Download Settings IVAO / VatSim Autodownload"
Or AutoDownload every x minutes

If the aircraft reaches the edge of the map, the FSCommander steals the focus, refresh the map,
and unlike any other program, immediately returns the focus to the simulator.

Also this event can prevent the user by deactivating the option "Aircraft on Map".

Now only the download of the IVAO / VatSim data is responsible for the stealing of the Focus.
Here too the FSCommander immediately returns the focus.

And then there are still programs that give the mouse the possibility that the mouse steals the focus
as soon as the mouse moves over a window which is not the owner of the focus

Volker

btw.

Read also this thread ...

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/60267-fsc-disappears-answered/ 

... and the post from @Scorpio47  

Hi Volker,

Thanks for explaining this time again what you already made clear in your previous answers in this post. As a software developer myself I dare to say that I fully understand the point and therefor I fully agree that FSC is doing what it is supposed to do with the settings as shown on the screenshots I posted a couple of months ago.

Now my point is that before this last revision FSC was not doing what it was supposed to do with those exact same settings. Meaning that in the previous revision the moving map was not stealing focus (and returning it). Antonio sent me the fsc.exe of previous revision and that fully confirmed what I am saying because now the only moments when FSC is stealing focus is 1. whenever there is an autodownload taking place 2. when my aircraft reaches a flightplan intersection. That's it. "Move map instead of aircraft" is checked but focus is stolen only every 3 minutes.

This led me to believe that there was actually a bug in the previous revision because that is when it does not seem to do what it is supposed to do... it's just that I got used to it and therefor the 'correction' was more of an inconvenience instead of nice to have.

Have a nice day

Thibault Dosunmu

20 hours ago, Volker Heine said:

There are programs of which you know that they steal the focus
This includes, for example, IVAP
Strangely, it does not matter to most users and does not pay attention

btw.

Read also this thread ...

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/60267-fsc-disappears-answered/ 

... and the post from @Scorpio47  

Hi Volker.

Well. IvAp doesn't steal focus. It get's focused if you click or write in in. What happens is that focus is stolen *from* IvAp by one or other applications that put FSX in focus. The only application that I have (and know of) that steals focus from FSX (on moving map, reaching waypoints, downloading data/weather) and *returning* it to FSX (and not back to IvAp) is FSC.

It is also clear that if another application like IvAp or Word or a browser is used and in focus while flying, focus is stolen from these applications to FSC when reaching a waypoint etc. Then focus is returned to FSX, not to the application from which focus was stolen. It is documented that FSC steals focus from FSX and returns it after updating data or passing waypoints, but it is not documented that it steals focus from *other* applications if they are used while flying connected to FSC.

But if this is something that you as developer of the great app FSC can't change I will have to live with the inconvience. FSC is so great in many other aspects.

Regards,

Tommy 

Hi Volker,

This focus issue is clearly causing a lot of customers problems, myself included.  Applications do NOT need to have focus in order to update, could you please provide a user selectable option to disable/enable this focus processing?

I know I've asked this before, but I thought I'd ask it again since it's something many other users would like to have as an option.

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Rob,

Applications do NOT need to have focus in order to update... 
... could you please provide a user selectable option to disable/enable this focus processing?

Sorry, but this application needs the focus while doing its work (state of the previous, old VB technology in the past) and ...
unfortunately, I can not change or prevent it.

Regards,
Volker