The simFlight Network Forums

T3D LAX Runway Configuration

Alcahuete

Hi all,

Maybe I'm missing it, but I have 2 questions.

1)  Is it possible to change the landing runway for arriving aircraft?

2)  I have seen people on the forum talk about 25L and 24R.  I'm using Real Traffic/Real Color and all the aircraft land on the inboard runways, which is completely contrary to how things are run in the real world.  Yes, there are times when all 4 runways are used for arrivals, but generally speaking, it's 25L and 24R.  I have yet to have a single airplane land on either of those runways by default.  Am I missing something, or is this by design?

Hi  Alcahuete,

I am new to this simulation and there are plenty on this forum with more expertise but I think I have the answers to your questions.

There are 2 methods. Firstly, om the Main Menu screen you can set the arrival runways by clicking on the blue circles on the overhead image of the airport. So at LAX you could select 24R and 25L with white circles making sure all other circles for the other runways are blue.  All traffic should then wish to arrive on the 2 selected runways. In game you can send an arriving aircraft to a different runway by instructing it to "Enter Final" then click on the desired runway.

I hope that helps. Now the experts can correct my advice!

I was going to say that to make things really interesting, select all 8 runways so they now have white dots, but those darn smarty pants at FeelThere made it so that if you do select all 8 runways, only four in the same direction are active.

What I will do is about an hour of planes landing at one set of runways, I will simulate a wind direction change and then route all the aircraft to the opposite set of runways.

Happy controlling,
RickyJ

Please note that in Tower3D, you can ONLY change the runways from the main menu, and not during the game.  Vic has confirmed that the Pro version (not yet released) will allow you to change active runways during a session and that changing wind directions will also be simulated.

43 minutes ago, Avwriter said:

Please note that in Tower3D, you can ONLY change the runways from the main menu, and not during the game.  Vic has confirmed that the Pro version (not yet released) will allow you to change active runways during a session and that changing wind directions will also be simulated.

Yes, that is correct, that is why I specify "enter final" for a different runway to the aircraft from approach control then select "cleared to land".  As long as the runway is long enough it will land, otherwise it will not accept the command to land.  All runways are available for takeoffs or landings, if the runways are long enough for the aircraft.  If they are not long enough you will be notified.  You are not limited to the runways you select when you start the sim.  The selected runways are only used for approach control.

RickyJ

16 hours ago, FeelThere said:

1) yes, please refer to the manial

2) please post a log

Thanks for the very helpful answer! 

I was under the impression there was no manual, just the tutorial at TIST.  I can't find it in the program folder or anywhere.  In most forum posts (here you are quoted: 

you say there is no manual...not until the Pro version.  Which is it, and where is it?

I know where those circles are (have used the old Tower program), but I was checking 24L/R and 25L/R, as those are indeed active runways.  They are active for departures, and should be active for arrivals as well.  If I have all 4 runways set to active for arrivals (as does happen real world during the busy pushes), then all 4 runways should be utilized.  Instead, every single aircraft arrives on the inboards.  That doesn't make sense.

Edited by Alcahuete