The simFlight Network Forums

Building and surrounding quality

mikced76

I am not yet a customer (waiting for Tower 3D Pro) but from the images I have seen from Tower 3D addons like San Diego the buildings and surrounding dont seem to have the highest of quality. I know that this is very secondary where gameplay naturally is the absolute most important aspect of the product! Still however for payware stand alone addons could the buildings and surroundings not be of a bit higher quality? Much like a flight simulator where the default airports have a "good enough" quality but when you invest in addons airport the quality is much improved. 

I find your addons airport prices to be very humane and actually fairly inexpensive. I would have no problems to pay double or more for a really good "Deluxe" airport every once in a while.

Just a thought! :)

Mike  

2 hours ago, mikced76 said:

I am not yet a customer (waiting for Tower 3D Pro) but from the images I have seen from Tower 3D addons like San Diego the buildings and surrounding dont seem to have the highest of quality. I know that this is very secondary where gameplay naturally is the absolute most important aspect of the product! Still however for payware stand alone addons could the buildings and surroundings not be of a bit higher quality? Much like a flight simulator where the default airports have a "good enough" quality but when you invest in addons airport the quality is much improved. 

I find your addons airport prices to be very humane and actually fairly inexpensive. I would have no problems to pay double or more for a really good "Deluxe" airport every once in a while.

Just a thought! :)

Mike  

That is a very good idea.  I agree with Mike, a few very high resolution airports would be something I'd spend money on.

I do not speak for Feel There, but I suspect that while improving the visuals in itself would not be difficult, it would come at a cost with performance.  You may have noticed, depending on your machine, that even adding in some bad weather, especially at night time, can greatly slow down the game.  I am sure that Vic can explain this more clearly, but someone once told me that this type of game, where the focus is on the traffic, meaning not only is it desirable that there be a lot of traffic, but that the traffic be managed very precisely, requires a lot of CPU power.  Thus, each visual improvement will come at a cost.  Since the game came out, there actually have been some significant (if subtle) visual enhancements made (night lighting in particular), but I get the feeling that they had to be added and tweaked very carefully so as to avoid a heavy performance impact.   Earleir, many of us, myself included, were asking for the ability to zoom n closer, and Vic stated that even doing this a little would degrade performance or require cruder aircraft models.  I know that it seems like the visuals for this type of game have not progressed as much in recent years, as they have in some other genres, but note that the complexity of the traffic management has grown exponentially, and so even with newer faster computers, much of the computing power is still needed to support these advancements.

On that note, will the Pro version be more resourse hungry than the standard version? Why I ask is because I am selling my clunky gaming rig that I have used for flight simulatiors the last couple of years to move over to the Apple brand and their small Mac Mini for some light music production (and hopefully Tower3D Pro). That machine does not have a dedicated graphics card but rather integrated graphics in the form of Intel Iris. It has a 2,8 GHz double core Intel Core i5-processor (Turbo Boost up to 3,3 GHz). Too limited for Tower 3D Pro? (..I will use Windows mode via Bootcamp)

Mike