Jump to content
The simFlight Network Forums
pacebl

FSUIPC Button assignment not working for all devices

Recommended Posts

I own an X-55 HOTAS and I can assign button presses to toggle switches and buttons on the throttle, but none of the buttons on the joystick will register a keypress. In the axis section all axises work perfectly fine, so I'm not sure what the button problem is. It's keeping me from using the software fully.

Edit: X-55

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, pacebl said:

I own an X-52 HOTAS and I can assign button presses to toggle switches and buttons on the throttle, but none of the buttons on the joystick will register a keypress. In the axis section all axises work perfectly fine, so I'm not sure what the button problem is. It's keeping me from using the software fully.

Does FS recognise those buttons? If so, what numbers does it show for them? FSUIPC can only support 32 buttonds per joystick, which FS numbers 1-32. FSUIPC would number them 0-31 (as they are numbered internally, in windows, as well).

I know many others use the X-52 and I don't recall others reporting a problem. But maybe you have some X-52 driver of other sftware installed which intercepts those buttons and assigns them itself, maybe to keystrokes? Check that also.

Pete

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It does recognize them. If I try to assign something in the default fsx controls window, a trigger press results in "Button 01" appearing. However, in FSUIPC -> Buttons and Switches it acts like I haven't pressed a button if I click the trigger. Nothing works on the stick, everything works on the throttle. I don't have the Saitek official software installed, I uninstalled it after encountering this problem to see if that would alleviate it. I don't have any other software I can think of that should be interfering.

 

Edit: In the Joystick Calibration section, all axes work for both throttle and stick. In the Axis Assignment section, there's a similar problem. Only the axes on the throttle are detected, and come up as Joy#2 Axis X for example.

Edited by pacebl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, pacebl said:

It does recognize them. If I try to assign something in the default fsx controls window, a trigger press results in "Button 01" appearing. However, in FSUIPC -> Buttons and Switches it acts like I haven't pressed a button if I click the trigger. Nothing works on the stick, everything works on the throttle. I don't have the Saitek official software installed, I uninstalled it after encountering this problem to see if that would alleviate it. I don't have any other software I can think of that should be interfering.

Edit: In the Joystick Calibration section, all axes work for both throttle and stick. In the Axis Assignment section, there's a similar problem. Only the axes on the throttle are detected, and come up as Joy#2 Axis X for example.

Ah, so, it just isn't seeing the Stick at all. Is it listed in the Scan at the beginning of the FSUIPC4.LOG file? Is it listed in the FSUIPC4.INI file?

And, probably more to the point, are you using the correct version of FSUIPC? At present, for FSX, FSX-SE or P3D it should be version 4.958 or later. If not update first and retry.

Also see the FAQ subforum. There's a thread there entitled "Fixing joystick connections not seen by FSUIPC"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried following the instructions in the linked thread, unless there was something I missed.

 

JoyID listed my stick as #2 and throttle as #3. I moved the stick to #1 and the throttle to #2 but it didn't seem to have any effect. I'm running a registered version 4.958 and both my joystick devices are detected in FSUIPC4.log.

In the FSUIPC4.ini it lists the stick as #0, then the throttle twice as #1 and #2. All three have unique GUIDs.

4.958 is the most recent version either SimMarket or the main site lets me download.

Edited by pacebl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, pacebl said:

JoyID listed my stick as #2 and throttle as #3. I moved the stick to #1 and the throttle to #2 but it didn't seem to have any effect. I'm running a registered version 4.958 and both my joystick devices are detected in FSUIPC4.log.

In the FSUIPC4.ini it lists the stick as #0, then the throttle twice as #1 and #2. All three have unique GUIDs.

The GUIDS come from Windows, so apparently it sees three devices. Either that or there's some corruption in your Registry.

FSUIPC's ID numbers count from 0. JoyIDs and FS's from 1, so when you moved the throttle from 3 to 2 evidently the 3 one stuck.

So what does FSUIPC see gor these in its assignments tab now? Is the throttle still seen correctly and if so as 1 or 2? Id jy 0 not seen at all?

36 minutes ago, pacebl said:

4.958 is the most recent version

Yes, it is. there have been 4.958a - 4.958f versions supplied to folks who needed to try things, and 4.959 is being released tomorrow. That's why I always say "or later".

Pete

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In both Buttons and Switches and Axis Assignment the throttle is seen correctly as device #1. The stick isn't seen at all. Some of the buttons on the stick are assigned in the FSX controls section, so I found an assignment and deleted it to make sure that wasn't the problem. It just seems to not see the stick at all, buttons or axes. 

 

Edit: While I can't assign an axis assignment, if I go to joystick calibration the raw values for ailerons and elevator react properly as I move the stick. 

Edited by pacebl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, pacebl said:

In both Buttons and Switches and Axis Assignment the throttle is seen correctly as device #1. The stick isn't seen at all. Some of the buttons on the stick are assigned in the FSX controls section, so I found an assignment and deleted it to make sure that wasn't the problem. It just seems to not see the stick at all, buttons or axes.

But you should have controllers disabled in FSX if you are assigning in FSUIPC!

10 minutes ago, pacebl said:

While I can't assign an axis assignment, if I go to joystick calibration the raw values for ailerons and elevator react properly as I move the stick.

Then the stick axes are assigned in FSX, or the stick is being controlled by other software. FSUIPC calibration operates on the values inside FS, not on the joystick inputs directly. 

Ensure controllers are disabled in FSX. If they are and you still get the movement in the calibrations screen then you most certainly have got some other driver or software running which its taking the inputs from the stick and passing them to FSX. That could certainly explain why FSUIPC doesn't see them.

Pete

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah! Apologies if that was in the setup information and I missed it. Would un-checking "Enable Controllers" do the job?

After unchecking that option, the axis assignments have disappeared but the stick is still undetectable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 But are they seen in calibration still, not in assignments? That was the point.

If not now, then sorry. It makes no sense to me at all. There's never been an issue like that before. 

If I had more time I'd work out some extra logging and send you a test version to give me information to see what is going on, but I'm desperately short of time before leaving to visit my son for Xmas, and then I'm not back till Jan 5th.

 If you still want help then please post a reminder and I'll get to it.

Pete

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand.

I've had some other strange issues on this machine. In the mean-time, I'll try a fresh Windows install to see if it's some driver or software that's still installed. If that doesn't help I'll post that reminder.

Thanks for all your help so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, pacebl said:

Whatever was going on, a reinstall of Windows fixed the behavior. Thanks again.

Something amiss in the Registry.

Glad it is now all sorted! Thanks for letting me know. Now use Windows backup (or better) to save a snapshot with everything working. You can then get that back later if needed rather than having to reinstall!

Pete

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I spoke a little too soon unfortunately!

After a couple of reboots the problem came back, so I tested it on a laptop running Windows 8 and the same problem happened. It appears to not be tied to what hardware I'm using. If I install the Saitek Software Suite this HOTAS works fine, so I'm really at a loss as to why it isn't working with FSUIPC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pacebl said:

After a couple of reboots the problem came back

So it must be hardware somewhere. Software doesn't change, not without re-programming.  There's something wrong with the device itself if it's the same on another PC.

Pete

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems like it's a problem with the microsoft drivers vs the saitek drivers. The "Test" page on my stick stays completely blank unless I install all of the Saitek software stack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, pacebl said:

It seems like it's a problem with the microsoft drivers vs the saitek drivers.

But why would that change over a few re-boots?

2 minutes ago, pacebl said:

The "Test" page on my stick stays completely blank unless I install all of the Saitek software stack.

Does that also allow FSUIPC to see it?

Pete

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're right, I'm not sure what could possibly change over a few re-boots. It doesn't seem to let FSUIPC work, but FSX itself can detect the stick and works fine after the "X-55 Rhino" software is installed. I was just hoping to bind everything via FSUIPC. The problem has always been FSUIPC detecting key-strokes. It detects the device and even can gather some raw data from it, it just won't detect any inputs, AXIS or button. Otherwise  this HOTAS works great and I've played 100s of hours on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, pacebl said:

The problem has always been FSUIPC detecting key-strokes.

Key strokes? Not button presses?

9 hours ago, pacebl said:

It detects the device and even can gather some raw data from it, it just won't detect any inputs, AXIS or button.

And you are sure there is an ID number assigned to it? Check again using the JoyIDs utility as mentioned earlier in the thread. That's the only thing I know of which could stop it reading the data. And check the [JoyNames] section in the FSUIPC4.INI. It should be listed there with a number.

9 hours ago, pacebl said:

Otherwise  this HOTAS works great and I've played 100s of hours on it.

Yes, and I know that many FSUIPC users are happily using it through FSUIPC.

Pete

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I mis-typed and did mean button presses. Button presses and Axis assignments. Both devices show up in JoyID and in the .ini file. I wish I could find a solution to be another happy user of your software, I love the functionality it provides. I have an X-52 in storage that I'll test with next, but that's a few weeks out waiting on a replacement cable. I'd prefer to use the X-55 if there were a solution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently I was wrong about "many happy users". Make that "a number". Maybe I got confused with the X52.

If you search this forum for "X55" you'll find other references including one where further experimentation did eventually solve the problem -- mainly using JoyIDs by the look of it See these threads

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/82017-saitek-x55-throttle-unable-to-set-axis/?do=findComment&comment=494485

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/82388-more-than-1-id-for-joystick-no-axis-control-on-rotary/?do=findComment&comment=496670

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/81462-fsuipc-49x-not-working-with-saitek-x55-and-p3wd25/?do=findComment&comment=491085

You'll see that in most cases there was a solution , using JoyIDs and getting the numbers sorted out properly. Have a search for similar threads yourself. There are obviously some DirectX peculiarities with the X55 which give difficulties, but they can apparently be overcome.

Are you using Win10 by the way? That may make a difference too. I know there are some problems still on Win10 with some DirectX devices.

I see that the X55 is now withdrawn and replaced by the X56. Very expensive too, else I'd possibly buy one just to find out why it's such a problem -- though of course the X56 may not be. I have no use for one. I wonder if they've made the X56 a bit more "standard" in its DirectInput behaviour -- or maybe it's a problem with their software. But I assume you uninstalled that?

LATER

This thread is about both X56 and X55. Seems they are both the same in this regard:

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/81985-fsuipc-not-seeing-x56-buttonsaxis-anymore/?do=findComment&comment=494332

Pete

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for looking into it more. I am using Windows 10, so maybe that's the problem. I haven't changed anything except rebooting a couple times, and now FSUIPC doesn't detect my stick or my throttle. I've tried changing the IDs with no effect. When I tried on my laptop both devices worked, then I rebooted and the throttle stopped being detected.

Should I have the drivers installed? I don't have anything installed at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, pacebl said:

Thanks for looking into it more. I am using Windows 10, so maybe that's the problem. I haven't changed anything except rebooting a couple times, and now FSUIPC doesn't detect my stick or my throttle. I've tried changing the IDs with no effect. When I tried on my laptop both devices worked, then I rebooted and the throttle stopped being detected.

Should I have the drivers installed? I don't have anything installed at the moment.

I really don't know. It seems very odd that things can change of their own accord. Really only hardware can do that, so when I hear of such things I always first suspect the hardware. I know you can have self-modifying software, and that settings files can be changed, but FSUIPC most certainly doesn't do either. Settings are made by the user and simply saved. The most interference FSUIPC does is annotate the assignment entries to make them more understandable.

Of course,as I understand it, Windows 10 is under continuous change and you can't stop it (or can you?). I've avoided Win10 completely except on my Surface Pro, but that's used only for Internet and Documents.  I did have Windows 10 installed on a new PC recently, because the supplier wouldn't install Win7, but after several days of difficulty -- various drivers for my cockpit not working, crashes left right and centre, I went back to Win7, which in my opinion is the best O/S Microsoft ever produced.

Pete

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I might have fixed it. If it is a hardware issue, it magically started working again. If it isn't a hardware issue, installing the FSX Saitek Plugin seems to have fixed it. I also installed the programming software and it seems to be working fine with that + the driver + the plugin installed.

http://www.saitek.com/uk/down/drivers.php The link to the plugin is at the bottom of the page, if anyone else has an X-55, this might fix it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, pacebl said:

I might have fixed it. If it is a hardware issue, it magically started working again. If it isn't a hardware issue, installing the FSX Saitek Plugin seems to have fixed it. I also installed the programming software and it seems to be working fine with that + the driver + the plugin installed.

http://www.saitek.com/uk/down/drivers.php The link to the plugin is at the bottom of the page, if anyone else has an X-55, this might fix it.

Thanks for the feedback. There are definitely others with similar problems.

Pete

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. Guidelines Privacy Policy We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.