The simFlight Network Forums

Joyname bug with multiple identical devices

Hi Pete;

Just sorted through a vexing issue with FSUIPC 4.959n on FSX, where assigned alpha joyname assignments are not respected when multiple devices with identical names (but unique serial numbers and GUIDs) are present.

It appears that the joyname FSUIPC is detecting for a device is related somehow to the ordering of the GUIDs (inversely?), and does not respect the joyname assignment in the ini.  I have attached an excerpt from the .ini file where the joynames are defined, and a log file.

If I define two joynames as below (the short numbers represent GUIDs relative to their lexicographic order):

Q=BU0836X Interface
Q.GUID={1} 
Y=BU0836X Interface
Y.GUID={2}

or with GUIDs swapped

Q=BU0836X Interface
Q.GUID={2} 
Y=BU0836X Interface
Y.GUID={1}

either way the yoke controller was always detected as joystick Q, which is my throttle quadrant, and the quadrant was recognized as joystick Y, my yoke.  Without the alpha assignment, the yoke's joystick controller properly associated with GUID 2 and worked.

If I change the assigned letters as below, then the yoke controller is detected as joystick P and the quadrant as Q, again even when the GUIDs are reversed:

Q=BU0836X Interface
Q.GUID={1} 
P=BU0836X Interface
P.GUID={2}

or with GUIDs swapped

Q=BU0836X Interface
Q.GUID={2} 
P=BU0836X Interface
P.GUID={1}

So this second case works to make the associations I wanted, but the effect is not apparently because of the joynames assignment, but rather the order of the assigned letters and perhaps something else in the background (device serial number maybe?)

Regards

Bob Scott

log etc.zip

4 hours ago, airforce2 said:

Just sorted through a vexing issue with FSUIPC 4.959n on FSX, where assigned alpha joyname assignments are not respected when multiple devices with identical names (but unique serial numbers and GUIDs) are present.

It appears that the joyname FSUIPC is detecting for a device is related somehow to the ordering of the GUIDs (inversely?), and does not respect the joyname assignment in the ini.  I have attached an excerpt from the .ini file where the joynames are defined, and a log file.

Hmmm. I'll have another look, but the code has simple comparisons.

Can you show me a HidScanner log, please?  (HidScanner is in the Download Links subforum, in the additional programs thread). Also a Log with this preset in ithe INI file [General] section:

Debug=Please
LogExtras=x200000

In problems reported before with multiple Bodnar boards, we found that the GUIDs are not permanently associated with a specific one, but more a specific connection (i.e. USB port), so swapping two connections over was completely undetectable by software.  I assume it is Windows assigning these according to socket or order of detection This sort of destroys the point of having letters assigned.

I'll get back to you when I've looked at the code again.

Pete

Ouch. Sorry. The link needs editing -- it doesn't say "q", that's only the text shown. You could have copied the link to your browser where it would show the full path and there edited yje p to a q. but never mind, I'm up to 'u' now. See my email response to yours.

Pete