The simFlight Network Forums

64 bit compatibility?

I must admit that I'm not quite sure what FSUIPC really does, but are aware that it is needed for some programs to work. As untill now I have just used the free version and been happy with that, so my question is off course if there will be a free version of FSUIPC 5, so programs that needs it will work?

Jlund

4 hours ago, CJSCH said:

I would like to suggest that you give those who want to the opportunity to add an amount, to their discretion,  to the regular subscription as a token of appreciation.

Thanks. I can't easily do that with SimMarket, which is a commercial business and involved in VAT, Tax etc. But personal contributions can always be made via PayPal, just to petedowson@btconnect.com.

3 hours ago, DaveG said:

will existing FSUIPC 4 profiles be transferable to FSUIPC 5? 

Yes, the whole FSUIPC4.INI file could be renamed FSUIPC5.INI and copied into the P3D4 Modules folder. Pluse copying the complete 'Profiles' folder if you are using separate files.

2 hours ago, Alpin-Flier said:

Would it be an option to make FSUIPC5 an event driven system instead of  polling simconnect and PMDG NGX data, i.e. update data only at start and on changes?

That is exactly what happens in any case. FSUIPC registers its interest in all the variables just the one and SimConnect sends then when they changes (and by more than a given delta value for many -- e.g. you don't need IAS to the .001th of a knot, etc).

AI Traffic are a bit different. SimConnect notifies when it adds or removes one and then FSUIPC has to act on that -- requesting the traffic data on add and removing it from its lists on remove.

Polling was performed in FS9 and before when FSUIPC was ferreting in the sim's memory for data so it could be mapped onto the FSUIPC offsets. That was te only way then. SimConnect changed all that for almost all values in 2006.

Polling is used for joysticks and buttons -- those need reading via DirectInput calls regilarly (but only one call per device, all values come together for up to 8 axes, 4 POVs and 32 buttons.

2 hours ago, Alpin-Flier said:

IMHO this would reduce PC load significantly.

Are you seeing degradation with FSUIPC running? You shouldn't.

Pete

1 hour ago, Jlund said:

As untill now I have just used the free version and been happy with that, so my question is off course if there will be a free version of FSUIPC 5, so programs that needs it will work?

The programming interface always was and always will be free to users (the commercial programs using it pay a fee normally).

The folks who purchase FSUIPC do so for the User facilities, not just for its interface, which fewer and fewer programs use.

Pete

Hi Pete

Thank you very much for your most informative answer. So the actual FSUIPC is even much more clever than I expected :-). I just wanted to be sure, that all cockpit interfacing SW is loading the PC  as low as possible. My homecockpit works with a single high power PC unit, and you are right, there is no degradation by FSUIPC as far as I can see.

So I will buy the new version with pleasure. Thanks once more for all your fantastic work.

Urs

1 hour ago, Pete Dowson said:

Yes, the whole FSUIPC4.INI file could be renamed FSUIPC5.INI and copied into the P3D4 Modules folder. Pluse copying the complete 'Profiles' folder if you are using separate files.

okay I'm brain dead, Pete.  where are the profiles you speak of :) 

Just now, FireRx said:

where are the profiles you speak of :) 

All your profiles are in the INI file UNLESS you opted to use separate files. If you did then they are in a folder called Profiles in the Modules folder.If you didn't, or just don't know what I'm talking about, don't worry, just use the INI.

Pete

copy that,   Thanks :)

yeah I just looked, it's all in the ini file.    the new FSUIPC5 will over write all the reference to 4.966c and Prepar3D v 3 if I copy it and rename the FSUIPC.ini file? 

Hi Pete,

64Bit FSUIP5 is more exciting news than the actual P3D V4 announcement LOL !!

As many would agree, your support here in the forum is second to none,  and I will certainly be purchasing V5.

You have applied many fixes for me directly as I have found small issues in the Lua facilities, sometimes overnight, I do not know any other developer who would do that.

My Lua Scripts that I developed for use with the VRS Superbug, also known as Superscript rely heavily on the display facilities for end user assistance when configuring things in the scripts such as assignments etc. So it will be good if some sort of similar on screen display facility can be developed with LM to maintain a similar functionality, multi colours would be cool if possible.

Looking forward to this very much and I have my Credit Card ready too, hope you had a great holiday with many more to come.

Cheers Glenn.

3 hours ago, FireRx said:

the new FSUIPC5 will over write all the reference to 4.966c and Prepar3D v 3 if I copy it and rename the FSUIPC.ini file? 

INI files can only have one parameter with the same name in any one section. Those parameters are "UpdatedBy", "FSversionUsed" and "SimConnectUsed" and get written every time you start the program -- it's just a way of me seeing what you are using even if you don't supply a log file.

Pete

2 hours ago, Glenn Weston said:

So it will be good if some sort of similar on screen display facility can be developed with LM to maintain a similar functionality, multi colours would be cool if possible.

There is the original crude text display (basically using the same one as the scrolling ATIS one, but possibly multilined if new line or return codes are implanted. That window can be resized and even undockey but otherwise, by dfault stretches right across the top.

I will be pressing L-M hard to enable the few remaining features I need. Obviously they were more occupied with getting the 64-bit conversion working and making a release.

Yes, colours might be nice but I probably won't press my luck -- just a mention rather than a "demaind" i think. ;-)

Pete

• Upvote 1

Good to read that you, Pete, are back from vacation and already immersed in work.

it is only when "big" events happen in simulation (FSX, Prepar3d in all its versions, etc.) that all of us (maybe even you!) understand again and again, the value of what you do.

I am sure that with some time, lots of work, several patches and upgrades and, much patience, P3D v4 will become a great simulator that all of us will enjoy.

many regards,

Roberto

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pete Dowson said:

INI files can only have one parameter with the same name in any one section. Those parameters are "UpdatedBy", "FSversionUsed" and "SimConnectUsed" and get written every time you start the program -- it's just a way of me seeing what you are using even if you don't supply a log file.

Pete

Thanks, Pete. 

Wonderful news, Pete!  I shall purchase FSUIPC5 on release day, and glad to pay for it!  You deserve to be supported for the considerable work to move us up to 64-bit interface with P3dv4.

And I know the hardware developers (among others) in the industry will be VERY GLAD that their user base can migrate to 64-bits as well!

Looking forward to your release and THANKS SO MUCH for it (in advance)

Robert McDonald

On 5/26/2017 at 5:40 AM, Pete Dowson said:

Oh thank the Lord for this. I was dreading the thought of having to redo all my button assignments, axis's and calibrations!

On 5/25/2017 at 1:19 PM, Pete Dowson said:

I didn't need to "reconsider" as I hadn't decided way back at the beginning of the year.

There will be an FSUIPC5 for P3D4, but first release won't coincide with the rather rushed (in my opinion) release of P3D4 on Tuesday. And FSUIPC5 will be a new product, not an upgrade. It's been too much work to have it as just an upgrade.

The user weather stuff is stripped out, and some other facilities do not yet work (mouse macros, menu diversion, frictions just to name three). They are dependent on further P3D development.

Pete

Pete,

Many thanks for your continued contribution to the community.  I too will buy V5 on release as your product is essential to making my setup give me the results I want.

Cheers!

Gregg

39 minutes ago, stuarth said:

Pete, 

A chance that this fsuipc v5 64bit will work with DTGs Flight Sim World? Alternatively will you consider an alternative version?

Stuart

Seems very unlikely.  From what DTG are saying FSUIPC will be impossible. Though if they've implemented SimConnect properly I don't see why. They've deliberately snubbed be over this despite my full cooperation and bug reporting for all the FSX-SE betas. I think they don't like it that FSUIPC is not being made available for them to supply via Steam.

Currently i'm not interested in any case, but i might review this in due course. Far too much to do on other fronts at present, especially P3D4.

Pete

On 29/05/2017 at 0:56 PM, Pete Dowson said:

Seems very unlikely.  From what DTG are saying FSUIPC will be impossible. Though if they've implemented SimConnect properly I don't see why. They've deliberately snubbed be over this despite my full cooperation and bug reporting for all the FSX-SE betas. I think they don't like it that FSUIPC is not being made available for them to supply via Steam.

Currently i'm not interested in any case, but i might review this in due course. Far too much to do on other fronts at present, especially P3D4.

Pete

That's the thing I understood from them as well and I make them the remark that they were a bit rough saying that FSUIPC was not needed because they'd do everything inside so that FSUIPC would not be needed. And told them that FSUIPC was doing much more than simply giving access to the software via the SDK. Like having profile per aircraft type which is just immensely usefull.

And then I got the following answer from DTG :

If I recall Pete Dowson posted in a forum thread that he'd retired and wasn't looking to create for a new platform. If at any point he changes his mind, he'd be more than welcome to do so.

So it seems to me they decided and never even asked you anything, though the FSUIPC that should be sold through Steam might be an issue as well. That's the point where they are totally unlcear on one side (steam forums) they say it's okay developer are free to do what they want, and on another side (avsim forum) they say developer must provide the product through steam...