The simFlight Network Forums

Tower!3DPro Some First Impressions

futureboy

It's good to see the main directory naming convention is back (the exclamation point is back).
I can now takeoff from KPHL runway 26.
The bluish tint and labeling of the taxiways is pleasing to the senses.
The higher camera view lets you see the planes better, mostly noticeable at KJFK.  This makes up a little, but not much for more camera zoom.
Although a lot of the commands do not have drop-downs, I have been able to create a text file and do a copy/paste.
The added pushback step keeps you more busy.
The added "CALLSIGN, RUNWAY 9L CLEARED FOR TAKEOFF UPON REACHING ALTITUDE 004 THOUSAND CONTACT DEPARTURE" eliminates the penalty hit for forgetting to send the aircraft to departure. Although it did take a little getting used to just seeing the "T" after takeoff.
Seeing the shadows of the passengers as they walk down jet bridge at night.
The boats sailing on San Diego Bay and the seagulls flying around at St. Thomas, I am lucky I have not had a bird strike yet.
I am sure I have missed a lot more details. So much more to explore and discover.
Here's to the team for their long hours and dedication to get the release out before the holidays.
And to Nyerges and BMT for keeping up with the pace.
And I have not encountered a stuck or twirling plane yet.

Maybe the Leprechaun will bring me a monitor for St. Patrick's day.
RickyJ

More cool stuff.........
You can change runways at will, so you never have to land, just keep them circling, I haven't run out of fuel yet.
At KSAN, you can now specify your exit,like B8 or B9 or B10, but make sure you have at least 10nm between arriving aircraft before you attempt a departure, especially if you specify B10 as an exit.
If you give the taxi path when you give the "PUSHBACK" command, all you have to do is give the "CONTINUE TAXI" when the plane is ready.
A real handy command "LINE UP AND WAIT BEHIND NEXT LANDING AIRCRAFT"
Pilots now can tell the difference between morning, day and evening.

Edited by futureboy
more good stuff
  • Upvote 1

Agreed!  A much smoother experience altogether:

-No more planes at KLAX getting stuck on the taxiway after landing.

-Just got around to trying the voice. Wow this is so much better than the voice recog in Tower2011, which I gave up on.  I did the training, and now the only times it messes up are when I say something wrong, and even then it gets it sometimes.  Never thought I would meet a voice recog that I liked.  Just wow!

-A lot of little things that together make a big difference: manual lights, hold for clearance after pushback, mulit-monitor all add up to a big smile on my face

-The selected start time in the Main Menu now coincides with the start time in the game.
-After pushback and the plane responds with "ready to taxi" you can "set and forget it" with the command "JBU1035 RUNWAY 28 CLEARED FOR TAKEOFF UPON REACHING ALTITUDE 2 THOUSAND CONTACT DEPARTURE"
-Certain local traffic at KSAN (SR2) now actually gain altitude and you can send them to departure without having to delete them.

RickyJ

- And the sun rises and sets in a more recognizable geophysical location.

You wouldn't want to clear a plane for take off at the taxi area.  NOT realistic. Plus, when it gets busy there is too much of a likelihood for runway incursions if you are not keeping a sharp eye.  I like the idea of multiple clearances though.  Good effort for this PRO version.  Really enjoying it so far. 

47 minutes ago, AirborneCDS said:

You wouldn't want to clear a plane for take off at the taxi area.  NOT realistic. Plus, when it gets busy there is too much of a likelihood for runway incursions if you are not keeping a sharp eye.  I like the idea of multiple clearances though.  Good effort for this PRO version.  Really enjoying it so far. 

Except when you are controlling TIST and you get one departure an hour in the early hours......

RickyJ

44 minutes ago, futureboy said:

Except when you are controlling TIST and you get one departure an hour in the early hours......

RickyJ

Definitely, you are correct.  I haven't upgraded TIST with RC  so I haven't been controlling there.  That would be the exception--thanks. 

Well done to the developers of 3D. I have held off getting it until the Pro version was released. I read the forum posts almost everyday.

Having now got pro I have found a couple of little problems that might be able to be fixed or maybe not so easy.

1. I am having problems getting speech recognition to work reliably, but I am working on it. During the period where the speech does not work, I found that the mouse commands for taxi instructions does not seem to work on the second GND screen. To get it to work it seems that you need to open the GND screen on the main screen and click on this to assign taxiways. It would be nice to be able to assign taxiways on the second screen.

2. What is the little + sign on the gnd screen for. It does not seem to do anything.

In all, a great job has been done on this program.

Kev M

8 hours ago, 707FAN said:

Well done to the developers of 3D. I have held off getting it until the Pro version was released. I read the forum posts almost everyday.

Having now got pro I have found a couple of little problems that might be able to be fixed or maybe not so easy.

1. I am having problems getting speech recognition to work reliably, but I am working on it. During the period where the speech does not work, I found that the mouse commands for taxi instructions does not seem to work on the second GND screen. To get it to work it seems that you need to open the GND screen on the main screen and click on this to assign taxiways. It would be nice to be able to assign taxiways on the second screen.

2. What is the little + sign on the gnd screen for. It does not seem to do anything.

In all, a great job has been done on this program.

Kev M

I have not had any trouble mouse selecting aircraft on a second monitor.  Must be something specific to your system/installation.

I seem to have sorted out the speech problem. I have to practice my US accent a bit though. One thing that I have noticed is the speech recognition does not seem to work immediately the program starts. It seem to take about 3 attempts before it works. then it works fine. This is not a real big problem though.

Also can someone tell me what the + in the menu area of the ADIRS screen is for??   

I still have to fiddle around with the screen setup to fix the problem with selecting the taxiways on the ADIRS second monitor screen.

A small annoyance for me is if you hit the shift key too many times, the sticky keys windows menu comes up. Got to figure out how to stop that from happening. win 10 OS

707, glad to hear you are sorting things out.  I have noticed similar events as you:  It takes a couple of commands before speech works--then it works fine.  I have also seen the sticky keys window come up occasionally.  Neither are big issues.  I am hoping to try out dual monitors in the near future-I have one coming.  This will be a first.  Overall, great sim and I am really enjoying it. 

5 minutes ago, winsaudi said:

How to kill the Sticky Keys pop up: when the annoying bix pops up, click on the hyperlink to go to 'Set up Stick Keys' then ensure that the box next to 'Turn on Sicky Keys if shift is pressed 5 times' is unchecked. That's it. Done.

As Left-Shift is the default key for this, it might be a good idea to mention this conflict in the manual, along with the work-around.  Hint hint ;-)

2 hours ago, winsaudi said:

How to kill the Sticky Keys pop up: when the annoying box pops up, click on the hyperlink to go to 'Set up Stick Keys' then ensure that the box next to 'Turn on Sicky Keys if shift is pressed 5 times' is unchecked. That's it. Done.

Hey, thanks WinS!!!  Great help here. 

re the sticky buttons. I tried that including going into the windows setup and unticking all the sticky key selections. I then pressed the left shift 5 times in a rapid succession and the sticky options cam up again.

Maybe the left shift key was not the best one to pick for keying the mike. I played PHL today and no other problems.