The simFlight Network Forums

Double letter taxiways (eg. "KK")are mispronounced by sim

Avwriter

AT JFK, taxiway KK is pronounce by the pilot voice letter by letter.  Instead of saying "kilo kilo", she spells it out as "K  I  L  O  K  I  L  O".  Is there an easy way to fix this ourselves, as we can with Airlines names, such as "Jet Blue", or will the developer need to get involved?  I cannot find any text files that list all the names of the taxiways at airports. 

• Avwriter changed the title to Double letter taxiways (eg. "KK")are mispronounced by sim
23 hours ago, Avwriter said:

Is there an easy way to fix this ourselves, as we can with Airlines names, such as "Jet Blue", or will the developer need to get involved?

Avwriter,

Pls tell me this easy way to fix because I get eg VOLARIS and ETIHAD spelled instead of pronounced the way it shoud be, resulting in my speech then not being recognized unless I spell the callsign too(or sometimes having to resort to mouse and command bar). Rather annoying so if you know of a way to change this (easy or difficult) I would love to hear it

Tnx

Willem

30 minutes ago, Kl408 said:

Avwriter,

Pls tell me this easy way to fix because I get eg VOLARIS and ETIHAD spelled instead of pronounced the way it shoud be, resulting in my speech then not being recognized unless I spell the callsign too(or sometimes having to resort to mouse and command bar). Rather annoying so if you know of a way to change this (easy or difficult) I would love to hear it

Tnx

Willem

Assuming you have RT and RC installed, look in the Extensions folder of your Tower3DPro installation.  Inside you will find folders for each airport. Inside each of these folder you will find a bunch of .txt files, including "airlines.txt".  Open this file with wordpad and look up the problem airlines, using the three letter identifier.  For example, if you search for JBU you will find the details for this airline, including its call sign.  For JBU, the call sign is listed by default as JETBLUE; this is wrong, and results in the pilots spelling it out instead of pronouncing it.  By adding a space so that it reads, "JET BLUE", the problem can be corrected and the pilots will pronounce it correctly.  For any other airlines that are giving you trouble, you may need to experiment to figure out what works.  Also note that you will need to do the same thing for the airlines.txt files of each airport that includes flights from a given airline.

Are you referring to the speech log?  If so how do I post it?  The file size is larger than the forum allows.  I will be happy to post another game log if needed, but as far as i can tell, every plane that is sent to take off at the KK intersection at JFK responds in this manner, and as someone else pointed out near the beginning of the thread, all other double letter or letter-digit taxiway (i.e. M8) designators at all airports do the same thing.

1 hour ago, Avwriter said:

Are you referring to the speech log?  If so how do I post it?  The file size is larger than the forum allows. 

If you want to post the speech.log file you will have to copy it, delete the stuff before the session you started then save that shortened file.  Contrary to popular belief, the speech.log file is not overwritten with each new session, each new session is appended to the existing file, look for:

Tower 3d  speak and recognition handler service  v3.0b
----------------------------------------------------------
TIME: 2/28/2017 7:18:24 PM
PRO MODE: True
Initialize TTS thread...
Installed voices:

My speach.log is over 10MB in size. A normal single session file size is about 30KB.

RickyJ