The simFlight Network Forums

Going around in Tower3D Pro

frequent flyer

Has anybody had any success with the go around command? I play KLAX on 90% traffic and on the few occasions I've instructed an aircraft to go around or one has done so because of a missed approach there has always been a collision with another aircraft also on approach. Does anybody have any tips on how to control aircraft going around to reinsert them into the traffic flow?

Also related, how does the "CHANGE TO RUNWAY XX" command work? I've tried it in multiple situations and each time I've received a "negative" response.

Edited by frequent flyer

"Go around" works for me, I then hand them to Departures and off they just like a T after take-off, once they disappear of the side of the DBRITE they reappear for another approach.

I don't use the "change" command but if I want them to land on a different runway I tell them to "Enter final runway xx".

After a go-around, I usually give a left turn command to 180 degrees or so (south at KSAN) and try to work them on a downwind for 27.  For some reason, commands from 180 to 90 don't seem to work well so I usually hand off to departure and I have seen them worked back into arrival.  Sometimes not well, though and conflicts with untimely arrivals can be bad.

The "enter final runway xx" works very well. 

Never had a problem with go-arounds.  As the plane passes down the runway, I tell it to turn left or right 90 degrees, then after it moves 4-5 miles away I give it another 90 degree onto down wind, and then issue a turn on to base when it looks like there is a break in the traffic on final.  For the final turn, I issue a 45 degree turn and then issue the command "Enter Final Runway XX."  Works every time.

spot on works fine like that  Avwriter or even keep them rwy heading  till  a bout 5-10 nm and then back to final instruction works as well if trafic permits :) at 40 nm he will turn back to final.

IFR trafic don't likes paterns:)

You can also do it straight away, go around, then asap enter final rwy xx if you have to deviate the AC from a departure  for example

"IFR trafic don't likes paterns:) "

This is true, but it does happen at times, even a busy airports, especially if there is an emergency and an unusual handling becomes necessary (fun that now we can simulate this if desired even if it is not something modeled in the sim).  Plus, sometimes I am just in a mood to give myself a little extra challenge.  Its great that there are multiple ways to accomplish it though, just an in real life. 

I truly understand the "fun" factor in vectoring a missed approach or go around onto the downwind for another shot at it.  However, that would NEVER be done with jet traffic at an airport like KSAN or KLAX even in VFR conditions.  The biggest issue, aside from the IFR issues, is Class B airspace containment.  The protected Class B does not have lateral room for jet traffic to make a traffic pattern "around the patch."  So, when an IFR arrival "goes around", the procedure at KSAN is to issue a 250 heading, climb and maintain 2,500 and ship them back to SoCal TRACON.  SCT will re-sequence them back onto final and maintain Class B containment.