The simFlight Network Forums

G1000 COM1/COM2 NAV1/NAV2 switching

Hi ,  been racking my little brain to find a way to switch between  - COM1 standby -  and  - COM2 standby -    ...   -  NAV1 standby -   and   - NAV2 Standby -    in a G1000 PFD (Flight1 Cessna Citation Mustang).

I have made a little button/rotary box and have it all configured great except for this. 

I am using FSUIPC to write the functions but cannot find a FSUIPC or SIMCONNECT Control number that does this function.....  does one exist ?

Be great if someone could chip in with some advice on this...  

please let me explain myself a bit more.  

I am trying to get a switch to move focus from the COM1 Standby window to the COM2 Standby window and the NAV windows too...

to enable me to input the COM2 and NAV2 frequencies THEN I can swap them from Standby to Active.

Thanks for your help

aero

PS I can already swap between Standby and Active on the frequencies , those are not the ones I need

20170331_144736.jpgim

ag20170317_111455.jpgimag

20170323_171941.jpgimage uploading site

e image free hostingfree hostinge hosting

Edited by aerostar17

5 hours ago, aerostar17 said:

I am using FSUIPC to write the functions but cannot find a FSUIPC or SIMCONNECT Control number that does this function.....  does one exist ?

Is the G1000 a standard FSX (or is it P3D?) gauge, or is this an add-on gauge, part of the Flight1 aircraft? If it isn't a standard part of the sim it won't have any FSUIPC / SimConnect controls built in.

The only G1000-dedicated FS controls are those listed starting with 'G1000'. I don't know the G1000 and don't know what they all do -- there aren't any specifically labelled for radio displays. They all see to be concerned only with the PFD and MFD aspects. So I assume the radios are really standard FS radios as in any other FS aircraft, but with only one displays for both 1 & 2.

I've just looked at the Mooney Acclaim in P3D, with G1000. It has displays for NAV1/NAV2, COM1/COM2, both active and standby and you change the selectopn between 1 & 2 by clicking with the mouse just below the frequency knob.

By logging I see there's no controls for that, but by logging L_Vars using the supplied Log LVars lua plug-in I see that there are L:Vars for this, as follows:

L:SelectedCom2=0 for COM1
   L:SelectedCom2=1 for COM2
   L:SelectedNav2=0 for NAV1
   L:SelectedNav2=1 for NAV2

So, if you ARE talking about the G1000 supplied with FSX/P3D then I think you will just need macros to send those LVars with parameter 0 or 1.

Pete

It appears from your illustrations that you're using a single dual rotary for tuning all 4 frequencies (ie COM1 radio, COM2 Radio, NAV1 radio, and NAV2 Radio)

If you're using the Input.ini (..\gauges\flight1_garminG1000_Aux\ folder) then you could simply chose to assign your keys & buttons there, making sure no conflicts with native FSX/P3D or FSUIPC assignments, (use the entries PFD_Com_Cursor= , PFD_Com_Swap= , PFD_Nav_Cursor= ,PFD_Nav_Swap= , and the PFD Com & PFD Nav assignments.)

If you're like me, and using FSUIPC and "standard" FSX controls, then use Com_Radio_Whole Inc/Dec and Com_Radio_Fract Inc/Dec for COM1, and ComSTBY_Radio_Whole_Inc/Dec and ComSTBY_Radio_Fract_Inc/Dec for the COM2 radio.  (NOTE: there's a difference between stby RADIO, vs stby FREQUENCY).  I use the standard "Com1/2 Tx Switch" to toggle which is the active radio with ATC (online PilotEdge).

The NAV Radios are more straightforward -- NAV1 Radio Whole Inc/Dec, & Fract Inc/Decr, NAV2 Radio Whole Inc/Dec, and NAV2 Radio Fract Inc/Decr.  Use the CDI mode to select which is active simply by assigning the standard "G1000 PFD Softkey 6" from the dropdowns, to toggle the CDI from GPS to NAV1 or NAV2.

By default behavior, the Frequency entries are always applied to the standby frequency box.

I use compound/conditional edits in the FSUIPC.ini file to select which COM or NAV frequency is being entered by the dual rotary.  (great explanation, which I'm sure you've found in the FSUIPC4 for Advanced Users, section Compound Button Conditions on pg 24)

So you can do it either via the Input.ini for the Flight 1 Mustang, or FSUIPC and edits to the FSUIPC.ini file, depending on your approach.  You could also mix and match as needed between the two.  There isn't only one way to get things functional for you.

Best,
Don

Hi Pete and Don, thanks for your replies and help.  

Pete the F1 Mustang seems a bit more complicated than the default G1000 and I had to to create MACROS which worked for other items (wonderful utility Pete) though with this radios problem it didn't help me. I have posted a section of my primitive attempt to configure the buttons with the radios - J4B18 is NAV flag  J4B13  is COM flag and J4B15 is FMS flag.  I don't know if this is the way it should be done. I thought putting the J3B23 flag on the push of my Dual Rotary would set the rotary to inc/dec the com1/2 nav1/2 respectively but doesn't work with NAV/COM2's. 

To Don thanks a lot for the information you posted , I didn't know about the INPUT.ini file in the Gauges folder either..... I was trying to do everything in FSUIPC as I don't know LUA, LINDA etc although I downloaded the SPADnext demo (a few days left) to see if that could help. With the INPUT.INI  I did try to assign some buttons but no joy, although with the different flags and events involved with the J2B23 and it's flag I'm not sure if there will be conflicts or how I'm going to write it in.

I used the PFD_Com_Cursor=Joystick:2:Button:24   but also with trying some others no result.

I thank both of you again and I will try some more tomorrow......

....feedback on the way I've written the code would be appreciated if you desire.

Thanks

aero

e482a87a76170de6ace3ef0bd974a7a4.png

Edited by aerostar17

Admittedly I don't have my wits completely wrapped around the entirety of your button programming.  I am puzzled about your flag setting and clearing and whether you are actually accomplishing what you intend.  FSUIPC will automatically toggle the button flags with sequential presses from (-) to (+) to (-), so I'm a bit unclear of your use of the flag sets and clearing with your assigned buttons, but if you've double checked your logic on this then ok.

Re: the F1 Mustang's input.ini file -- I and others have found that it works only via assigned keys as the intermediary, then you can assign those keys to FSUIPC functions.  That is why I use very few of those (about 5 or 6 max), and did as much as possible via FSUIPC and compound button assignments.

Best,

Don

Yes it is a bit bewildering for me tooo...  the reason for the set of flags at lines 17-25 is that on the box there are   '3'   buttons that must have only one of them active at a time - COM, NAV, FMS .

so if I press the COM then the others must be clear etc  because these are 'sharing' the Dual Concentric Rotary. They are non latching momentary push buttons, so I've done the latching in the code and that's why the rotary pin inputs 8,9,10,11 are filtered by flags. When I press NAV it is active and if I press COM it is active etc immediately without double pushes etc. Also the middle PushButton on the Dual Concentric Rotary was intended to switch from NAVCOM1's to NAVCOM2's  Flag 3,23.  

The extra flags further down for the G1000 buttons are required because I increased the number of buttons available on the BBI32 interface from 32 to 51 by doubling up on some buttons and assigning 2 inputs to 1 button press as an additional, seperate function...  but in so doing have to make some exclusion or inclusion flags.

I'm going to try your method/controls for the frequencies again today...  wondering if my flags are getting in the way...  although the FMS navigation with the Rotary and flags works ok.  The 4 lines starting 105 with the 'Throttle4_set' move the blue rectangle for the COM/NAV windows focus and works well. The 8 lines further up starting line 11 are for the altitude rotary.

I have no experience of coding really and this is the best I can come up with at the moment....  willing to learn how it should be done.

cheers Donovan

aero

Edited by aerostar17

12 hours ago, aerostar17 said:

...  the reason for the set of flags at lines 17-25 is that on the box there are   '3'   buttons that must have only one of them active at a time - COM, NAV, FMS .

so if I press the COM then the others must be clear etc  because these are 'sharing' the Dual Concentric Rotary. They are non latching momentary push buttons, so I've done the latching in the code and that's why the rotary pin inputs 8,9,10,11 are filtered by flags. When I press NAV it is active and if I press COM it is active etc immediately without double pushes etc. Also the middle PushButton on the Dual Concentric Rotary was intended to switch from NAVCOM1's to NAVCOM2's  Flag 3,23.  

Ahhh, understood !   If the required logic exceeds what is easily accomplished with the button flags, you can always write some short macros triggered by the button presses. 

I have no experience of coding really and this is the best I can come up with at the moment....  willing to learn how it should be done.

We all started with no experience!  But, it sure is satisfying in the end when you work it out!   The APPENDIX 1: “Do more with your joystick”  from the Advanced User Guide is a fantastic reference for button programming.  

Best in your endeavors!

Don