The simFlight Network Forums

About XPlane 11, Prepar3D V4 and Flight Sim World

All of a sudden we are awash with new simulators: XPlane 11 not so long ago, Flight Sim World early access in the last few days and now Prepar3D V4.  So how do we think STB will participate in these?

• XPlane: No plans right now, any effort would be significant and a large rewrite of the existing software.
  • Flight Sim World:  No plans right now, it's unclear what the effort may be required and the commercials of selling through Steam or FSW just don't add up for a small player like me.
  • Prepar3D V4:  Out of the three this is the most likely, but I can't say what may or may not happen until I've had time to work with the SDK and understand the internal changes that STB is dependent on.  Unfortunately I've never been able to find a way to join their development or beta programs, buying a development license isn't sufficient it would seem so I like most others will have the first opportunities at the end of the month.  I imagine an assessment alone will take some significant time to complete, let alone a full product development.

Thanks
Simon

• Upvote 1

I agree with your general assessment Simon. P3D v4 is the product that carries the long standing history of continued development, friendly to 3rd parties from the smallest to the largest, and customer satisfaction.

I have no power over Lockheed Martin and whether you get on the beta team. If you have tried the "contact us" method with all of your credentials, I cannot see why you would not be quickly welcomed. As such the only thing I can do is pray. Try again in a day or two.

STB is much more valuable to me than most other add-ons, in the top 10 out of thousands! Maybe my prayer will be answered favorably.

2 hours ago, pracines said:

STB is much more valuable to me than most other add-ons, in the top 10 out of thousands! Maybe my prayer will be answered favorably.

I agree with that. In fact it's in my top 3 of all addons after FSCUIPC and Opus.

Thank you for the kind remarks,  to be in anyone's top 10 or top 3 is an absolute honour for me.  I have some STB for FSX work to do first to bring it's story to a close and then I can begin thinking about P3DV4.  Apart from anything else I am excited about what's on offer, but I'd love to hear something about performance in the coming days and in particular has anything been done to improve the performance of having AI aircraft in your scenario.  It's the one major part of the sim that seems to have been largely overlooked for improvement since FS9.  Sloped runways too in P3D?  That's a reach, but it's one thing (the others being the night lighting and the plausible world concept) that I like about XPlane.

Simon

Unsure about what the default AI performance will perform like in V4, but UT Live performance in P3Dv3 has been very good for me.

I intend to get V4 the very moment it becomes available, once I get up and running I will give you a brief report on the performance and I will include my specs.

Paul

Sloped runways will be nice but apparently the reason they're not in is to do with AI aircraft. I read this on Avsim.

Yeah Simon your program is vital for me. I don't have any go arounds at any of my airports, I can delete parked planes if the Gates are full to park my own plane etc. It's brilliant.