The simFlight Network Forums

Airport Strategies

Avwriter

Moderator please make this a Sticky.

Let's keep this thread clean.  Each post should focus on one airport.  Feel free to use the "Edit" feature to come back and add new information.  Please no discussion.  Start a new thread for that.

• Upvote 1

KATL

KATL prefers a western operational flow, but east flows are quite common nevertheless.

West ops:
     North Runway Complex:  Arrivals on 26R and departures on 26L  During busy hours, a large percentage of 26R arrivals are routed all the way around the far end of 26L via B, V, and then brought the gates via F.  However, aircraft with longer wingspans are not permitted on V (767s are the only heavies that routinely use it), and must cross the runway elsewhere. 
    South Runway Complex:  Arrivals are mostly on 27L and en route to the gate are often routed all the way around the end of 27R via N, P, L.  Runway 28 is used as overflow at peak times (particularly arrivals from the south), as well as for Cargo arrivals destined for the south cargo ramp.  Departures are normally from 27R, which is the longest runway at the airport, and thus is preferred departure runway for heavies on long routes, and is also the default runway for emergency landings.

East Ops:
    North Runway Complex: Arrivals on 8L and departures on 8R.  Arrivals either follow B, V, F, or cross 8R and proceed to the gate via F  Departures taxi to runway via E.
    South Runway Complex: Arrivals via 9R and 10.  Departures via 9L (and occasional cargo departures on 10 as well).  9L departures normally taxi via M and take off from intersection M2, so as to allow 9R and 10 arrivals to use P as an end-around and follow L to the gates.  If there is an unusually big backlog of departures (as may happen after a weather delay), Ground will send some departures up N, have them cross 9L at P, and then head them back down M to M2 from the opposite the main departure stream coming up M from the other direction.  This does work quite well in Tower3D if you are meticulous with Hold Position and or Hold Short commands.

Tips:

-You may choose to not activate Runway 10/28 for arrivals in the game menu.  Instead, just activate 27L/9R +26R/8L.  Then use the ENTER FINAL command to side-step planes to 10/28 when the final corridor on 27L/9R gets too crowded.  Likewise 26R arrivals may be sidestepped to 27L if there is space.

-Departing ground traffic en route to 27R may lined up on both L and M if needed.  Traffic on M may then depart from intersection LB, and alternates departures with traffic on L which departs from the end of the runway.

-Note that there are two taxi lanes in each of the ramps between terminals T-E.  These do not operate like two-way roads, with planes passing each other on the right.  Instead, an aircraft will always use the lane that is on the side closest to its gate, regardless of whether heading north or south.  Forgetting this detail will result in head-ons between departing and arriving aircraft.  Unlike in the real world, there is no way to instruct an aircraft to switch lanes in order to go around another plane here, even if there is room.

-Taxiway D (In the game it is called Delta, but IRL it is referred to as "Dixie" so as to avoid confusion with the large number of DAL aircraft based at the airport).  This is the only route for crossing between the North and South runway complexes (contrast with KLAX which has multiple options for this).  On the KATL Airport Diagram, it is marked as a non-movement area, but this does not mean that it is closed to traffic.  It just requires a specific clearance for any aircraft to traverse it (much like crossing a runway).  In the game, it is just treated as normal taxiway without any special restrictions, so do plan taxi routes carefully to avoid nose-to-nose situations here. 

-Taxiways SC and SJ are a pair of parallel North-South taxiways used for to getting to and from Runway 28/10, which is separated by some distance from the rest of the South Runway Complex.  SC is used for aircraft traveling TO this runway.  SJ is used for aircraft traveling FROM this runway, heading toward the main terminal area.  This mirrors the normal U.S. driving convention of staying to the right side.

-Tower!3DPro players will find it very beneficial to take advantage of the program's "Vacate Runway" command to assign specific runway exits to arriving aircraft.  If used strategically this will serve both to get arrivals closer to their assigned gates, and also help prevent backups onto the arrival runway during busy sessions by separating them onto different taxiways.  It will also help avoid logistical problems caused by smaller aircraft that by default tend to turn off early, using the high-speed taxiways going in the opposite direction of travel.

• Like 1

CALLSIGN, EXIT AT TAXIWAY XXXX (the airplane will try to exit at the named taxiway)
CALLSIGN, VACATE RUNWAY LEFT ONTO TAXIWAY XXXX (the airplane will try to exit at the named taxiway towards the requested direction)
CALLSIGN, VACATE RUNWAY RIGHT ONTO TAXIWAY XXXX (the airplane will try to exit at the named taxiway towards the requested direction)

KLAX example:
VALUE734, EXIT AT TAXIWAY H9
VALUE734, VACATE RUNAWAY LEFT ONTO TAXIWAY AA
VALUE734, VACATE RUNAWAY RIGHT ONTO TAXIWAY H9

• 2 weeks later...

KLAS

Seem to prefer using 25R for departures and 25L for arrivals (they have actually just changed to 26R and L).  They also use occasionally 19L for departures and 19R for arrivals but the parallel 25s seem predominate.    

Edit:  I like to use intersection takeoffs when appropriate.  An example is using runway 25R at A2.  Heavy a/c use full length.  I recently heard the RW controllers using 25R at B for takeoffs at KLAS.  

• 1 month later...

KPHL

In my opinion west to east direction is simpler. We use 9L for departures and 9R for arrivals. Departures should use taxiway K (use K3, N or T to join K from J for eastern aprons departures), while arrivals either go via C-J or via N-J. In case of overwhelming number of departures runway 35 can be used via E with a simple scheme. Departure from 9L, crossing via E, departure from 35, repeat. 9R can also be used for departures with some care as taxi via J can block arrivals via C-J in that case they have to be routed via N.

East to west direction is much more tricky. Basic and RL strategy would be to use 27R for arrivals and 27L for departures. I would use K-N route for most departures, sending some also via K3-M and even J-H-E-S. The key is to have all N, M and E occupied to cross runway at once when there is a space between arrivals. Unfortunately all arrivals have to be told to exit runway via L or K4 because they often try to vacate via K3 and N stopping nose to nose. Runway 35 can also be used for departures either from E but also D-H can be used. If there is a lot of arrivals use K3 for vacating only, rerouting all departures to N.

Another strategy can be used - 27L for arrivals, 27R for departures. In that case the taxi distances are much greater but this scheme is overall simpler. We use K to taxi to 27R (35 via E can also be used for some departures), while arrivals just go via S-Z-J. I would use this scheme if there are a lot of arrivals, because in the previous one runway crossings might be difficult and block the whole airport.

• 2 weeks later...

Found one for KBOS, at least the runway configurations

KBOS 

Link to presentation (from June 2017; pdf file): http://massportcac.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Final-BOS-Update-MCAC-Logan-101-060817.pdf

Northwest Flow (31%)

Arrivals: 27, 33L, 33R (limited), 32 (limited)

Departures: 27, 33L

Northeast Flow (34%)

Arrivals: 4R. 4L used for non-jets only

Departures: 4R, 9. 4L used for non-jets only

Southwest Flow (31%)

Arrivals: 22L, 27

Departures: 22L. 22R for non-jets only

Southeast Flow (4%)

Arrivals: 15R. 15L (limited) for non-jets only

Departures: 9, 15R, 14 (limited)

4L/22R is restricted to non-jets for noise abatement, likewise flights from 22L are supposed to turn to heading 140 after takeoff (again for noise). It didn't specify if there is a preferred layout choice when winds are calm so if anyone knows or anyone knows the usual taxi routes, feel free to correct (likewise if I mistyped/misread something). 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2018 at 12:00 AM, couven92 said:

Awesome! What about PHX, LAX and SFO?

For PHX, had to dig through noise abatement reports so lack arrivals but iirc

EAST FLOW:

Departures: 7L, some 8

Arrivals: 7R, probably 8 (guessing on that though)

WEST FLOW:

Departures: 25R, some 8

Arrivals: 25L, again probably 8 but guessing

Primarily takeoffs happen on 7L/25R but there was some off 8/26 just far less. As to which to use, it switches about evenly between the two. I think they said the winds tend to favor East Flow in the morning and West flow in the evening. 

Oh and found a video for GA, which should take H, H7, F for 25R at least (the video used west flow), and should not cross at F9 or F10. 

LAX is Outer takeoffs, inner landings. Primarly 25R/24L for takeoffs, 24R/25L for landings. In rare cases, will the 6/7s be used. If they are though, it's 6R/7L for takeoffs, 6L/7R for landings. I'll have to find my chart again for the common ground traffic routes though. 

• 1 month later...

I listen to Live KLAX ATC alot, and I normally hear them taxiing aircraft for departures east on Bravo to foxtrot for a lineup on 25R. Maybe this is a temporary runway assignment, as they've been doing runway repairs/construction lately. 25R was closed for a couple weeks and 25L was used for both inbound/outbound. I actually would play KLAX simulating this outage to see what that scenario was like.

Arrival traffics would taxi West on Charlie towards Sierra. But real life Sierra has two lanes, North route, south route. So I tend to hear traffic going bothways there, and Romeo for south traffic as well.

This is all based on what I hear during live atc, and not any official traffic flow.

• 1 month later...

Been listening to a lot of KPHL lately too. Here are some of their runway configurations

ARRIVALS:

9L:  Most all A/C (arrivals hold short of 35, if 35 is used for Departures or Arrivals)

9R: Most all A/C

DEPARTURES:

8: Small Conmuter A/C

9L: Most A/C

9R: Includes Heavys

• 2 months later...

SFO

I have spent many hours sitting in the parking lot at the south end of 1R (before it was closed after 9/11) and listening on the scanner.

Normal operations (90% of the time) consist of arrivals on 28L/R and departures on 1L/R.

1L departures are generally limited to RJs but I have seen an occasional mini-bus (A318/A319) depart 1L. Most traffic departs 1R.

Some heavy a/c cannot accept 1R and they have to depart 28L/R.

I enjoy working SFO, the crossing runways make for an interesting challenge.

Edited by aviator64
corrected typing mistake
  • Like 1

Here is a link to the FAA's Capacity Profiles for major US airports. Each airport's page includes the normal runways in use for arrivals and departures as well as the hourly capacity for visual, marginal, and IFR conditions. This information makes a good starting point for developing your ops plans.

https://www.faa.gov/airports/planning_capacity/profiles/

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2018 at 8:12 AM, coyotedelmar said:

For PHX, had to dig through noise abatement reports so lack arrivals but iirc

EAST FLOW:

Departures: 7L, some 8

Arrivals: 7R, probably 8 (guessing on that though)

WEST FLOW:

Departures: 25R, some 8

Arrivals: 25L, again probably 8 but guessing

Primarily takeoffs happen on 7L/25R but there was some off 8/26 just far less. As to which to use, it switches about evenly between the two. I think they said the winds tend to favor East Flow in the morning and West flow in the evening. 

Oh and found a video for GA, which should take H, H7, F for 25R at least (the video used west flow), and should not cross at F9 or F10. 

LAX is Outer takeoffs, inner landings. Primarly 25R/24L for takeoffs, 24R/25L for landings. In rare cases, will the 6/7s be used. If they are though, it's 6R/7L for takeoffs, 6L/7R for landings. I'll have to find my chart again for the common ground traffic routes though. 

You have the runways correct but the wording wrong at LAX. Inside runways for takeoff, outside for landings

• 5 months later...

If and when there's ever an ORD DLC here's they're current runway configurations;

4L/22R - Original Runway 7,500 ft

4R/22L - Original Runway 8,075 ft

27L/9R - (formerly 27R/9L) - Being extended to 11,260 ft from 7,967 ft

27C/9C - "NEW" Runway (Opened in 2020) 11,245 ft

27R/9L - New Runway (Opened 2008) 7,500 ft

28R/10L - (formerly 27L/9R) - Extended 2008 13,000 ft

28C/10C - New Runway (Opened 2013) 10,801 ft

28L/10R - New Runway (Opened 2015)  7,500 ft

33/15 - (formerly 32L/14R) Decommissioned 2018 - Currently Taxiway SS to be decommissioned if new terminal is built on site of current taxiway

32R/14L - Decommissioned 2015 

Source: Chicago Department Aviation 

ORD_ALP_PreOMP_Current_OMP.thumb.jpg.35176bbeb41d29e8766dab09cbc72504.jpg

Edited by HappyNUyear
Added New Open RWY 27C/9C
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

KLAX SUPPLEMENTAL INFO

I found this website https://laartcc.org/airport/KLAX which has some interesting info, which I can't corroborate with any FAA info:

From the website:

Normal Operations use runways 24R/25L for arrivals and 24L/25R for departures.

...which corroborates what we have all been using.

However this snippet is interesting:

Noise Abatement Operations between midnight and 6:30 AM local time, use runway 6R for arrivals and runway 25R for departures

That would make life extremely interesting!

The website also has the airport diagram, and SID (Standard Instrument Departure) charts.

BLB

• Like 1