The simFlight Network Forums
Pete Dowson

IMPORTANT: MakeRunways and new Add-Ons structure

Hi Pete,

I tried MakeRwys version 4.85, but in runways.txt all sceneries defined with the add-on.xml method are not in.  I also use Lorby Addon organizer.

Make Runways File: Version 4.85 by Pete Dowson
Reading (null) SCENERY.CFG ...
CFG file being used is: "C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\SCENERY.CFG"

I have used the Windows relocation feature to relocate my Documents folder to another drive (SSD), could that be the reason ?

Mike

1 hour ago, Mikealpha2 said:

I tried MakeRwys version 4.85, but in runways.txt all sceneries defined with the add-on.xml method are not in.  I also use Lorby Addon organizer.

The only difference in 4.85 is the provision of a Jetway flagging option.

CFG file being used is: "C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\SCENERY.CFG"

That line shows that the Lorby program has not worked. I suspect it cannot find your Add-Ons folder. The scenery file should be MakeRwys_Scenery.cfg which the AddOn Organizer places into the main P3D4 folder, where MakeRunways is, NOT in the ProgramData folder.

I have used the Windows relocation feature to relocate my Documents folder to another drive (SSD), could that be the reason ?

Very likely. I doubt that the "Windows relocation feature" can keep track of every program needing to access the Prepar3D Files and Prepar3D Add-ons folders. I wouldn't be surprised if other programs and add-ons had problems too.

Generally there's no need to move that folder. If its contents are getting to voluminous then it is probably better to move the more populated folders in the Add-Ons folders -- NOT the ones going by the add-on names nor the Add-On XML file within, but the files and folders pointed to within those folders -- you'd then need to edit the XMLs too, to point them to the new place.

For now, just for MakeRunways, you could look at the Lorby program's settings to see if you can fix it there. If when running it it does shown all of your Add-Ons enabled sceneries okay, then MakeRunways will work too.

Pete

Hi Pete,

thanks for the fast answer.

The problem was running Makerwys as Administrator. Normally I do that by default, but ouch, this time I had forgotten it. Sorry to bother you.

27 minutes ago, Mikealpha2 said:

The problem was running Makerwys as Administrator.

It shouldn't really need to be run "as adminisrator", but it presumably depends where AddOn Organizer is installed. In itself it loaded the Scenery.cfg file from the right place.

Pete

Hi Pete

Just a short comment to the above. The Lorby-si software (in my case version 1.35 b04) has a feature where you can export the library to scenery.cfg producing a new temporary scenery.cfg with all entries included. After the export, you run the makerwys.exe (no need to run as administrator) and all your sceneries will be processed. Remember to revert back to the original scenery.cfg afterward.

Jan

7 minutes ago, JNissen said:

Just a short comment to the above. The Lorby-si software (in my case version 1.35 b04) has a feature where you can export the library to scenery.cfg producing a new temporary scenery.cfg with all entries included. After the export, you run the makerwys.exe (no need to run as administrator) and all your sceneries will be processed. Remember to revert back to the original scenery.cfg afterward.

Yes, I know that. But the author of the AddOnOrganizer kindly added a facility for MakeRunways whereby the latter can call it with a special parameter. The organizer then silently makes that full scenery.cfg file, but places it into the main sim folder as "MakeRwys_Scenery.cfg".

So, if the AddOnOrganizer is installed properly, so MakeRunways can find it by its registry entries, things are all automatic and smooth.

Pete

Hi Peter.

Thank you for all your hard work with this.

I have an issue with 4.85.  I am certain it is something that I am doing wrong as I am not too smart with the inner workings of P3Dv4. (or computers for that matter).

When I attempt to download or update "make runways", I receive a pop up stating,... "Failed to make all the data files"  Failed to make FStarRC RWS file!"

Please advise when you have time.

Kind regards.

David Bell

On 8/11/2018 at 11:02 PM, carbonbell said:

When I attempt to download or update "make runways", I receive a pop up stating,... "Failed to make all the data files"  Failed to make FStarRC RWS file!"

Downloading is just a matter of getting the file! MakeRunways cannot even run whilst it is being downloaded!

Updating makerunways is only a matter of copying a file, so again such a popup cannot occur.

If you mean that the error is reported when actually RUNNING makeRunways, then it this when you start it, or when it is finishing? Most of the files are not written till the end. Are all the others there, in the Flight Sim folder? If there an FStarRC.rws file? If so, it is write-protected?

Pete

Thank you for getting back to mePeter.  I am sorry but I am not very savvy when it comes to this type of thing.

I just want to update RAAS as some airports such as EDDL don't recognize runway 25C or 7C for example.  OMDB 30L is telling me that I am on a taxiway.

Sorry for this must basic of problems.  I know it is I that is the problem and not the computer or file.

Kind regards.

David Bell

On 8/16/2018 at 9:46 AM, Pete Dowson said:

Downloading is just a matter of getting the file! MakeRunways cannot even run whilst it is being downloaded!

Updating makerunways is only a matter of copying a file, so again such a popup cannot occur.

If you mean that the error is reported when actually RUNNING makeRunways, then it this when you start it, or when it is finishing? Most of the files are not written till the end. Are all the others there, in the Flight Sim folder? If there an FStarRC.rws file? If so, it is write-protected?

Pete

46 minutes ago, carbonbell said:

I just want to update RAAS as some airports such as EDDL don't recognize runway 25C or 7C for example.  OMDB 30L is telling me that I am on a taxiway.

Sorry, but I've no idea what you are doing or what you expect me to do. If you want to use MakeRunways, please just download the package, unzip it to your main flight sim folder, then double click on the MakeRwys.exe file. That's all you need to do. I've no idea what you do with RAAS.

Pete

39 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

Sorry, but I've no idea what you are doing or what you expect me to do. If you want to use MakeRunways, please just download the package, unzip it to your main flight sim folder, then double click on the MakeRwys.exe file. That's all you need to do. I've no idea what you do with RAAS.

Pete

Thank you Peter.  I understand my message confusing .  What you said, is what I have now done, and it is all working as it should.

I thank you for your guidance and mostly your patience with me.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

Kind regards.

David Bell

4 hours ago, carbonbell said:

Thank you Peter.  I understand my message confusing .  What you said, is what I have now done, and it is all working as it should.

I thank you for your guidance and mostly your patience with me.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

Kind regards.

David Bell

I also want to thank you Mr Dawson for all you have done for the Flight Sim community.  

All the best to you Sir.

Kind regards.

David bell.

I have Lorby-Si Addon Organizer installed and working properly but when I run Makerunways no MakeRwys_Scenery.cfg file is created in P3D main folder. 

37 minutes ago, 0Artur0 said:

I have Lorby-Si Addon Organizer installed and working properly but when I run Makerunways no MakeRwys_Scenery.cfg file is created in P3D main folder. 

Can you show me the first few lines from Runways.txt, please?

Pete

4 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

Can you show me the first few lines from Runways.txt, please?

Pete

Reading (null) SCENERY.CFG ...

4 minutes ago, 0Artur0 said:

I don't support old versions. Please use the current version: 4.861.

Then let me know. t works fine here on several different systems.

Pete

pete

I noted the same when I updated to 4.861.

It seems one needs to also install "Lorby'sSceneryExporter.exe" as well as (not alternatively to) the Addon Organiser.

john

2 hours ago, vadriver said:

It seems one needs to also install "Lorby'sSceneryExporter.exe" as well as (not alternatively to) the Addon Organiser.

Aha! Yes, sorry. I found a silly little bug.

This is corrected in 4.862, just uploaded.

Pete