The simFlight Network Forums
Tony Drummond

Prepar3D V4 - The Easy (Safe) Way

[This is a repost of an item I posted in the AVSIM forums - Poppet has said she will be updating her guide soon]

For MyTraffic to work - only 2 things are required

a path to the MyTraffic aircraft folder
a path to the MyTraffic scenery folder

This can be done a number of different ways. 

This method avoids messing with the P3D system simobjects.cfg and scenery.cfg
This is important as P3Dv4 uses UTF16 encoding - and there is a risk of damaging the P3D install by using the stadard MS text editor.
-------------------------------------------------------

Create a simple add-on.xml that contains all the required information.

<SimBase.Document Type="AddOnXml" version="3,3" id="add-on">
    <AddOn.Name>MyTraffic6</AddOn.Name>
    <AddOn.Description>MyTraffic 6.0a</AddOn.Description>
    <AddOn.Component>
        <Category>SimObjects</Category>
        <Path>D:\FS_Apps\MyTraffic Professional\MyTraffic\Aircraft</Path>
    </AddOn.Component>
    <AddOn.Component>
        <Category>Scenery</Category>
        <Path>D:\FS_Apps\MyTraffic Professional\MyTraffic</Path>
        <Name>MyTrafficScenery</Name>
		<Layer>114</Layer>
    </AddOn.Component>
</SimBase.Document>

Note this file contains complete paths to both the aircraft and scenery folders. It also tells P3D where to place it in the scenery library.

Make sure you use the complete paths that refer to your installation.  Mine is installled  in D\FS_Apps

Place the addon.xml in a subfolder you create in the \Prepar3D v4 Add-ons folder

C:\Users\yourname\Documents\Prepar3D v4 Add-ons\MyTraffic\add-on.xml

When you start P3D it will ask you if you want to activate - Yes

Notes

You can check if MyTraffic has installed propery by going to

Top Menu > Options > Addons

It is also possible to disable MT6 from this screen - thought it will require a sim restart

The '<Layer>114</Layer>' line will put MT6 at approximately the correct layer depending on what other addons you have installed

The MyTraffic scenery folder contains the aircraft routes and schedule.....it also contains a lot of AFCAD files, some scenery files and other 'stuff'.  

In my own set up I seperate the two as these extras files seem to cause enormous problems especially when using addon scenery.

I hope this is of some help

Edited by Tony Drummond

Hi Tony, thanks for doing this. I see you edited this last Wednesday and Elaine's guide has been last edited June 7th, so I have a couple of questions if it's ok.

I'm having a bit of an issue, I used Elaine's guide from AVSIM and just copied the xml she had, and it works, but I'm getting a ntdll.dll crash on exit of P3D v4, not all the time but most of the time since adding MyTraffic

this is the xml file I am using: (notice there some differences from yours, not only the path, which is normal, but the extra line at the top)

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<SimBase.Document Type="AddOnXml" version="4,0" id="add-on">
<AddOn.Name>MyTraffic6</AddOn.Name>
<AddOn.Description>MyTraffic6.</AddOn.Description>

<AddOn.Component>
<Category>SimObjects</Category>
<Path>C:\MyTraffic Professional\MyTraffic\Aircraft</Path>
</AddOn.Component>

<AddOn.Component>
<Category>Scenery</Category>
<Path>C:\MyTraffic Professional\MyTraffic</Path>
<Name>MyTrafficScenery</Name>
<Layer>114</Layer>
</AddOn.Component>

</SimBase.Document>

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Does this look ok? Should I remove that top line?

thanks man

This is how I installed mine as well, just a slightly different version of the xml, but it does work, except for one anomoly.  I cannot get any traffic anywhere in and around the Reno Tahoe area. (KRNO).  I get it everywhere else, including pay airport addons except there. I am willing to pay a developer to fix this.  Any takers out there?

Hello Driver

Is My Traffic working at all ?  Or do you have the same Issue as Marky ?

Just check your add-on.xml file is actually saved as an .xml file and not still as a Tex Document ?  

Insure you have this box Un-Ticked just like the Image shows below in File Explorer Options  

Un-Tick the Box and click Apply.   You can access this location by typing   File Explorer Options  into your Windows search bar and clicking View at the Top

35000883950_2eed3aafbf_o.png

Then go back and Insure your add-on.xml is this   add-on.xml     Maybe it says this add-on.xml.txt ?

If so just remove the .txt at the end and Save it

Then launch Prepar3D and test