The simFlight Network Forums

SPEECH ISSUES

FeelThere_Vic

On 4/3/2021 at 4:07 AM, NMaggio said:

Are we to assume the pilot speech worked at one time? If so, here are some general things I have done to resolve the same problem. They might do the trick if the speech stopped working.

Run a cleaning program like  CC (Crap Cleaner)

Do a defrag on your hard drive.

Lower the graphics settings to 1282X768

Do a complete shutdown and reboot.

Again, these actions are what I did to resolve the same speech issue assuming it worked at one time. I know it sounds simplistic, but they  worked for me. 

Good luck,

Nick

Hi, no the pilot speech never worked before. I am just trying to get started.

On 4/2/2021 at 11:22 PM, scoobflight said:

are you running the game as administrator?

have you confirmed that all your computer sound settings are allowing the game to send sound?  check you system settings and sub-panels.

Yes, I have full Admin rights.

Re sound I hear the music when entering the Tower 3D! main menu and I also hear the enviornment background (seagulls, vehicels) but I just dont hear pilots speaking.

Here are some screenshots of my sound settings. I didnt find any place where I could manage sound settings specifically for Tower 3D.  On "Speech" settings I detected something interesting though. I read in other posts that it is recommended to use the voice "Microsoft Zira", however I hear noting when I select "Preview voice" whereas I do hear a voice using "Microsoft George" and some others. Unfortunately I still dont hear any pilots regardless of the voice I am selecting...

So, problem still not resolved for me. Appreciate any further ideas on this.

Settings 2021-04-04 11.26.21.png

Settings 2021-04-04 11.25.56.png

Settings 2021-04-04 11.27.47.png

Settings 2021-04-04 11.26.53.png

2 hours ago, Janosh said:

I read in other posts that it is recommended to use the voice "Microsoft Zira", however I hear noting when I select "Preview voice" whereas I do hear a voice using "Microsoft George" and some others.

The SpeechSythesizer class uses the voices David and/or Mark (not quite sure) and Zira by default. If you can't hear a preview, you won't be able to hear the voices in the game. If this is not a settings issue or the voices are blocked by other processes, then it is likely that there is a problem with either the Speech SDK, .NET Framework (or Core) or the English US language pack itself. I would first check if uninstalling and then re-downloading and re-installing the complete language package fixes the problem. If this is not the case, the developer would have to get back to you to further isolate the problem or recommend which e.g. .NET package to (re)install.

Hi there,

I managed to get the voice preview working for Zira, David and Mark voices.

I unistalled and reinstalled English US lanugage pack.

I uninstalled and reinstalled Tower 3D! PRO.

I ran the game as administrator.

I rechecked all my sound settings.

But still I dont hear any pilot voices when playing the game. I only hear the environment and airplane sounds.

I am clueless what else to do at this point.

I got it to work just now!

I just realized that running the game as administrator should be done by right click on the Tower.exe icon!

So now that I got pilots voice working next thing I will figure out is "voice recognition". I may be back with more questions...

Thanks for all your support up to now!

Cheers,

Jan

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone!

I just bought Tracon!2012 from the website about 30 mins ago and when I load into the sim I get "failed to load grammar" and what ever steps I follow on the forums i cant get speech to work! attached is settings I have followed from previous posts.

Many thanks, 

Harvey 

Speech settings:

https://gyazo.com/d92ddc9e0675c51b3eb44120ffa1f5ab

Language settings:

https://gyazo.com/9a64ab9b4ecf6e0eb25e6a894b9c2a3a

In game:

https://gyazo.com/48a8dd6bbdf070f0228e009d3abf3b09

error:

https://gyazo.com/2b38ee8c1c1eec748492311bd22e7179

ps: i have set up Speech for Tower!3D pro with no issues

Edited by ATC_harvz

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone,

I've had Tower 3D Pro since like 2016 and I've never been able to use the voice feature because it just wouldn't pick up anything. I thought it was my computer issue but even after I got my new computer, I still had this issue. I've tried literally everything to fix this issue but nothing worked. Today I accidentally found a solution to this issue and I hope this help out those who are still having this issue.

Before you start the game, go to your sound settings and change your output source. (Yes output, not input.) I have portable speakers so I changed into that.

Then launch the game. (I started as administrator, IDK if it matters.)

Then start the game with whatever airport you want to do.

Once the game is fully loaded and you hear the push-back request from the first aircraft, go back to your sound settings and change your output source back to your headset.

Here is a YouTube tutorial I did if you need some visuals... Hope it works for you.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

I have had Tower3D Pro for 2 years, worked fine until the update to Windows 11 came about.

As far as I know, I did everything that was described above. Clean install, deleted the Language pack English US and reinstalled, did the speech recognition training...

yes computer language setting is English US, yes I run as admin, etc.

The game loads fine, and I can perfectly hear the voice from the pilots. However, whatever I try or do (even did the change output as mentioned above in the youtube movie) it does not recognise my voice.

Spoke to Cortana, and my computer understands me fine 🙂

Therefore I am wondering... what do I do wrong? Or is this something new within Windows 11?

This almost makes me want to go back to Windows 10... sigh...

Thanks

Twan

4 hours ago, Twan Trienekens said:

Spoke to Cortana, and my computer understands me fine 🙂

So at least you know your microphone is working, which is a good thing.
However, Windows Speech Recognition has nothing to do with Cortana and is a separate process.

It is recommended that the speech recognition app is open and set to "do not listen" after a short test. This way you can be sure that at least the proper process is started and running.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/use-voice-recognition-in-windows-83ff75bd-63eb-0b6c-18d4-6fae94050571#WindowsVersion=Windows_11

If this does not work, make sure that tower3d.exe and ..\tower3d_Data\TowerSpeak\towerspeakbridge.exe are not restricted by your antivirus/firewall software and that Tower!3D Pro is allowed to access your microphone by both your security software and Windows settings.

Hi Eligrim,

I did the Microsoft Speech Recognition as you suggested. The test speech was recognised and it said it works fine.

Also I did quite an extensive learning cycle with Windows, and it says there are no issues with Windows and my microphone.

I tried to find where I can check if the tower3d.exe and towerspeak files are not restricted. However, I would request if can help me locate where I can check this? I am running Norton.

3 hours ago, Twan Trienekens said:

I am running Norton.

You can, depending on the Norton version, add the files to the Safe List and/or exclude them from Auto-Protect.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/norton-360/home/solutions/v3672136
Nederlands: https://support.norton.com/sp/nl/nl/norton-360/home/solutions/v3672136

To find out if this is really necessary, you can check the Security History to see if files (*.exe, *.dll) from the Tower!3D Pro installation directory have been blocked or ristricted in the first place.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v19803667
Nederlands: https://support.norton.com/sp/nl/nl/home/current/solutions/v19803667

You should also make sure that Tower!3D Pro is allowed to access your microphone.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/app-permissions-aea98a7c-b61a-1930-6ed0-47f0ed2ee15c#ID0EBD=Windows_11

It is also possible that when you first try to give a voice command in the game, Norton displays a message in a pop-up window for a few seconds asking if you want to allow access to the microphone.
It is advisable to run the game in windowed mode to observe if there is such a message.

Edit: Just to rule out that the PPT key is blocked, Sticky Keys should be disabled (at least temporarily).
https://allthings.how/how-to-turn-off-sticky-keys-in-windows-11/

Edited by EliGrim

Hi Eligrim.

Appreciate the help!

I have added both files to the Safe List of Norton. Made sure Tower!3D has access to the microphone, and I ruled out the sticky keys.

However, still doesn't work.

But... when I load St Thomas and test at 05.00h, first plane is the N577ST. It doesn't recognise the code November 577 Sierra Tango, but when I slowly speak it does however pick up Seven or "White" (not sure where white comes from).

So it does hear me, it just doesn't translate this properly it seems.

Does this help out in the direction of the source of my problem? 🙂

Thanks again.

Twan

Run the speech training quite a few times; 5 to 10 times and double check that Tower!3D Pro is indeed executed with administrator privileges.

Have Windows Speech Recognition open [Win-Logo] + [Ctrl] + [S], right click and set it to "Off: Do not listen to anything I say".
This is important to prevent the speech commands from being intercepted in the background and tried to turn them into desktop commands.

If this doesn't work, additionally try setting the game's graphics options as low as possible and wait 1 or 2 minutes after the airport loads before giving the first voice command.
(The idea behind this is that I don't know how good Windows 11 currently is with managing CPU cores. It might not be able to handle single core applications very well yet which could delay fully loading the speech recognition module of the game. It's unlikely, but you never know.)

If that doesn't help either, try running the game in different compatibility modes (Win 7, 8, 10).

If that doesn't work either, you can try to uninstall the game and then install it in a folder (or a second hard drive) outside the Windows system folders (like the Program Files folder is), if not already the case.
(The idea behind this is to eliminate rights management issues as much as possible without having to deal with rights management itself.)
Don't forget to update Norton's Safe List.

If that doesn't work either, please post your log files here, if you like. (speech.log and ..\tower3d_Data\output_log.txt)
Maybe FeelThere or one of the experienced users has more ideas.

Since Windows 11 is not officially supported for Tower!3D Pro, I don't know to what extent FeelThere is willing to help in this case.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all,

Just wanted to let you know that so far nothing seems to do the trick.

I have actually also deinstalled Windows 11 and went back to 10, reinstalled the game... and all worked.

Did the change back to Windows 11, did another clean install of the game, no succes.

This totally sucks. Paid a good amount of money for the game, airports, real colors etc, and now due to an upgrade of Windows (which works for everything else I do on my computer, from video editing, music writing, etc) I can't use one the best features of the game anymore.

Really unhappy. Play the game on occasion still, but not as fun anymore without speech.

Hope this gets fixed on way or the other 😞

Twan

3 hours ago, Twan Trienekens said:

Hope this gets fixed on way or the other 😞

The one way or another will have to be something done on your end. FeelThere's decision to only support the T!3DP game engine for about a year after release is a risky proposition when it comes to long term enjoyment of the game. This business strategy is very concerning to me and will definitely be part of my evaluation criteria in whether I'll be purchasing the next version.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Alien said:

system laguage wasnt one of the requirements

It is a requirement and the first 'to do' item in the list at the beginning of this thread -

SYSTEM LANGUAGE SET TO ENGLISH(US)

Please confirm you have also done all the items outlined to do starting with -

CORTANA IS WORKING AND YOU CAN TALK TO IT

Continue through the list through -

TOWERSPEAKBRIDGE.EXE IS LAUNCHED IN ADMIN MODE

Then follow the USB suggestion if not working.

@Alien try following this guide:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2542594784

If it still doesn't work, your Windows settings may be preventing the game from accessing your microphone. For this, check your Windows privacy settings. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-privacy-settings-in-windows-55466b7b-14de-c230-3ece-6b75557c5227

If there is a problem with the Windows speech recognition software itself (unlikely), make sure that the integrity of the corresponding Windows system components is guaranteed.
For that, the following post(s) might help:
- https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/speech-recognition-is-not-available-but-cortana-is/43de7a25-9f2f-43fb-80ea-03e21c41564c
- https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system-files-79aa86cb-ca52-166a-92a3-966e85d4094e

If your Windows is set up correctly, your microphone is working and you are running T!3D Pro with administrator privileges, the problem is usually that some software or other process (antivirus, sound related driver, etc.) is preventing communication with the game.

I hope this helps and you get your voice input working.

EDIT: Oops, I just noticed that you can't check or try anything at all since you don't own the game anymore. Unfortunately I don't know any way to test if the voice communication works with the game prior to buying it (again). If you are afraid of losing the Steam refund right after a new purchase, which can happen with repeated purchases and returns of the same game resp. Steam has the suspicion of abuse of the refund policy, I recommend waiting for the next version of the game. Tower! Simulator 3 will hopefully be much more user-friendly.

Edited by EliGrim
  • Like 1