The simFlight Network Forums

@FeelThere Ariel

It does not recognize any speech at all in Tower 3D. I set-up the microphone, I set-up speech recognition, I can use Cortana and speech recognition to open programs/docs in Windows, but I don't get anything at all with Tower 3D Pro

This is a clean install of Windows 10, 64-Bit. I wiped out everything and re-installed Windows and updated. When I hold down the "Left Shift" button, I get the audible "click" that I used to get on my old set-up and I start speaking, but nothing is getting picked-up by Tower 3D. I assume that the speech bar is "Active", but I don't know how to verify. All I know is that I hear the audible click, but nothing happens when I begin to speak. I know that the microphone is getting audible signals because I open up Settings for the microphone and Windows shows the Blue Bar going up and down (picking up my voice).

I am running the program as "Administrator" and have gone through Vic's check list of all items to check.

Hopefully, we can figure this out with your help. I have over 10 Airport Add Ons, 10 airport True Color, Real Traffic and I'm invested in this program.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I got it to work just now! I just realized that running the game as administrator should be done by right click on the Tower.exe icon! So now that I got pilots voice working next thing I wil

To be fair if it was the game, everyone would have issues. But since it is only a select few, then the logical answer is that it is something to do with those specific computers.

Thank you so much!  You are a gentleman and a scholar.   Lee

Posted Images

For some reason when speech recognition does not seem to gather any speech there are a few things to do. After pressing the Left shift key, delay saying anything for about 10-15 seconds and then say something to see if the command is recognized. If not. try again. When I was trouble shooting my initial speech issue the delay seemed to work. If the delay tact helped, the speech should be recognized from there on in the session. You will probably have to do the delay trick each time you sign into the program for another session. Even now, after I resolved the issue, the first time I give a command in T3DP it is not recognized. Trying again will give me proper speech recognition. Why this is the case, I can not tell. 

As mentioned earlier, I thoroughly cleaned the inside of the desktop case; giving specific attention to the video card. I removed the card, vacuumed the slot and rubber erased the contacts. All my problems disappeared.

Hope this helps,

Nick 

Shawn,

The  TOWERSPEAKBRIDGE.EXE is located: Feelthere>Tower!3D Pro > Tower 3d _ Data > Towerspeak. In regard to your question about "trusted Mode," this needs to be further defined. I believe you are asking how to run Tower!3D Pro in administrative mode. If so, the simple way to do this is to right click on the icon and choose "Run as administrator" each time you run the program. A more permanent solution is to right click and choose Properties, then select Security. The Security Tab will allow you to edit the Permissions for SYSTEM. 

My post of July 6th regarding Speech Issue was resolved by performing a step that someone had suggested, but at the time it seem unlikely.  The NVIDA GeForce GTX 760 video card was initially purchased and installed with the (then) new computer. For years this card's performance exceeded my expectations. About a year ago Tower!3D Pro and FSX began to give me poor frame rates and, in the case of Tower!3D Pro, lagging video and major speech recognition issues. It got to a point that the program was no longer enjoyable. The solution was to completely vacuum out the interior of the desktop then remove the video card, vacuum out the card slot and rubber erase the contacts. Life became good again as all my difficulties with both programs went away.  

I hope this helps,

Nick

9 hours ago, smirabal said:

I am running the program as "Administrator" and have gone through Vic's check list of all items to check.

Are both tower3d.exe and towerspeakbridge.exe listed as trusted programs in McAfee LiveSafe?
If so, check if all notifications are enabled under General Settings and Alerts.

It is possible that LiveSafe detects the access to the microphone as a threat.
Typically, antivirus programs issue a message which can be confirmed with Allow once or Always.
You can check the Security History in LiveSafe to see if there are such messages.

@FeelThere Ariel

Thank you, very much for pointing me in the right direction and confirming it was an issue with the OS. I removed and reinstalled the OS and the voice recognition in Tower 3DPro is working. Not sure what the error was, but uninstalling the OS and reinstalling it worked. 

I'm running Windows 10-64Bit and a non-steam version of Tower 3D Pro.

Thanks, again!

• 2 months later...

I seem to be having an issue to getting my speech recognition to work. I have confirmed that Cortana can hear me but the game does not register anything being said while holding down left shift.  I have performed all of the basic set up steps, I am set to English and I have gone through system training.  In order to provide the voice logs if needed, I would need to know where to pull those from.  I also might need some help attaching files of the valid size as I am being told by the system that my files are too big (screen clips).

1 hour ago, Xnjy said:

I also might need some help attaching files of the valid size as I am being told by the system that my files are too big

You have to write a few posts before the forum allows bigger attachments.

1 hour ago, Xnjy said:

I am set to English and I have gone through system training

If you can do the voice training then it should actually work in the game.
Do you use any antivirus and/or firewall software? If this is the case, please make sure that both "tower3d.exe" and "\tower3d_Data\TowerSpeak\towerspeakbridge.exe" are recognized as safe applications and are not blocked. In particular, depending on your security settings, towerspeakbridge.exe may be blocked because it accesses the microphone. Especially in full-screen mode, you often don't notice the corresponding messages in the background.

After much experimenting, I hit upon a solution that worked for me. Lower your video resolution. For some reason with the higher resolution the speech recognition was affected. I selected  1282X768 as a comfortable resolution. Holding down the transmit key for a few seconds before speaking for the first time seems to resolve the speech recognition at the start of the game.  As a maintenance step, run a system cleanup using, as an example, CCleaner. The free program works just fine. No need to get the pro version. Also, defrag your system on a regular basis. 

Hope this helps.

Nick

The speech recognition engine runs as a separate program to the game and, after the airport has loaded, it can take a few minutes before it is ready. The faster your computer and graphics card, the quicker it will be ready. In this video, from about 4 years ago, you can see that it takes nearly 4 and a half minutes before the speech recognition is useable. The clicking sounds when you press the left-shift button are made by the game, so they can't be used to work out if the SR engine is ready or not.

53 minutes ago, Xnjy said:

Thanks everyone for the help so far.  I have tried the recommended actions and still have no change 😞

Check all background programs to confirm that none are accessing the mic and 'capturing' the signal - resulting in Tower unable to 'hear'.  Seemingly benign background processes have caused this problem before and once stopped Tower works perfectly.

5 minutes ago, AshleeL said:

When u click the shift key, do u hear clicking sounds? If u do when you say something do u see anything at all...even if it's not what you said in the command  box above ? (I hope that makes sense)

I do hear the click and nothing shows in the box giving an indication the program is hearing me.  The computer has been able to hear me as I have been able to set up for speech recognition. 

1 hour ago, Xnjy said:

no change.

Check the settings for any headphones, speakers, microphones, mixers, audio programs, etc.  These drivers can cause issues even if you don't know they are running especially if they load and sit as a background process when unused.  These types of programs have 'captured' Tower's ability to 'hear' even though voice recognition training works and MSWindow's Cortana works.