The simFlight Network Forums

Aircraft specific/ShortAircraftNames issue

Hello Pete,

Somewhere along the way there seems to be a bug that crept into the code related to ShortAircraftNamesOK=Yes

and the Aircraft specific setting for Axis and Keys. Buttons and Switches seems to still be OK.

I am running FSUIPC4  4.97 on Win7 Pro X64.

Here are the entries I made today8 to those three categories while in the same aircraft:

My recent Buttons inputs, Aircraft specific went to the correct place.

[Buttons.C182]
220=PF,13,CL38:K,0     -{LuaKill DispC182 (Flag 0)}-
221=UF,13,CL53:K,0     -{LuaKill C182_Visor (Flag 0)}-
222=PF,0,Cx510066D2,x00020001     -{offset byte cyclic inc, offset 66D2 (Incr=1, Limit=2)}-
224=RF,38,C65680,0     -{VIEW_LEFT}-
225=RF,34,C65676,0     -{VIEW_RIGHT}-

My Keys and Axis inputs, Aircraft specific did not.

[Keys.C182_VH-DLL]
8=48,9,x510066D2,x00020001,L53:R,0     -{shft+0: Press=offset byte cyclic inc, offset 66D2 (Incr=1, Limit=2), Release=Lua C182_Visor }-

[Axes.C182_VH-DLL]
RangeRepeatRate=10
0=FS,256,F,x020066D0,0,0,0    -{ FSUIPC: offset word set, offset 66D0 }-

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And the two ini file lines related to the operation:

ShortAircraftNameOk=Yes

UseProfiles=No

There was an existing [Axes.C182] section in the INI but the new assignment created the one above which has the full aircraft name, as does the newly created Keys section.

Not sure when this issue began but it was present with 4.959n which I had on this laptop until I installed 4.97 yesterday.

Paul

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Gypsy Baron said:

And the two ini file lines related to the operation:

ShortAircraftNameOk=Yes

UseProfiles=No

Sorry, you have profiles defined but you aren't using profiles? I'm confused.

4 hours ago, Gypsy Baron said:

Not sure when this issue began but it was present with 4.959n which I had on this laptop until I installed 4.97 yesterday.

Well it would have been far better to report it before a new major issue. I am pressed to find any time to make any changes to FSUIPC4 for several weeks now. 4.97 was a consolidation of preceding interim updates so I could press on with other urgent things.

Apart from the confusion your "UseProfiles=No" presents, for obvious reasons, the more relevant data seems to be completely missing from your report. The Profiles sections themselves, in particular, though with UseProfiles=No they shouldn't be used at all in any case. You seem to be saying that even with Profiles turned off, it is still operating as if they are enabled.

Perhaps the complete INI file might make things clearer?

Pete

"Sorry, you have profiles defined but you aren't using profiles? I'm confused. "

Now I am confused. Where do you see that I have profiles defined?

Does this entry "UseProfiles=No " negate the use of profiles?

The sections [Keys.C182_VH-DLL] and [Axes.C182_VH-DLL] were created when I made assignments with the 'Aircraft speciific' box checked and there was already a [Axes.C182] section but it was ignored.

I never use profiles nor do I wish to.  All my 5600+ lines in my INI file were created using 'Aircraft specific' settings.

Yesterday was the first time I came across this issue so I couldn't report it sooner.

For the time being I'll just edit the [Keys.C182_VH-DLL] entry to be [Keys.C182] and move the line 0=FS,256,F,x020066D0,0,0,0    -{ FSUIPC: offset word set, offset 66D0 }-  to the existing [Axes.C182] section where it should have gone to begin with.

Paul

Ah, sorry! You deliberately use the old system, just aircraft-specific, not Profiles! The latter were really meant to completely replace the much older system, which is a bit archaic in design -- but  I couldn't actually discontinue it because folks might not be changing over quickly, if at all with 'settled' setups, and I can't support old versions.

But I must admit that no attention has been paid to the older system recently. Sorry.

But also any change in any part of the entire mechanisms for both must date back a few releases now. That's why it would have been useful to know closer to when it was first going wrong.

Out of curiosity, can you tell me why you don't even want to use the Profile method? It isn't very different, but a bit smoother in use and operation.

Anyway, I'll try to fit in time to test out an Aircraft-specific configuration here and see what is going on.

I could still do with seeing your INI file please.

Pete

Up until the day before yesterday I had not needed to make any changes/additions to any of my aircraft sections that are contained in the INI file. I am currently traveling and on my gaming laptop and an INI file copied over from my home system. I had need to do some Lua scripting for someone on the A2A forums and that called for some additions to the axis and keys sections of the A2A C182. That is when I discovered the issue.

On my home machine I have a great many of the previous FSUIPC4 downloads saved in an archive and once I am finished with my travels in late September I could see If I could narrow down the point at which the aircraft specific issue began. Until  then I can live with just editing the INI file when necessary.

As I have hundreds of hours invested in edits of my INI files, most of which exceed 6000 lines, And all my entries are indeed 'aircraft specific' as they make use of MCRO files for each aircraft, defining the L:Vars for that aircraft, and use Lua scripts that are unique for that aircraft. I don't 'view' my INI in a 'broad' aircraft type or other identifier nor can I group or combine the various INI sections into anything other than the 'aircraft specific' architecture.

I was/am reluctant to attempt any wholesale changes to the architecture that I have currently. At some point in the distant future I will move to P3dV4 or whatever version is current at that time. Then I may consider changing to the 'profile' architecture.

I have attached my 'main' INI file that resides on my home machine so you can see the methods I use. The INI file on this laptop is 'similar' but the various controllers are missing and a single MadCatz joystick is in use. Also many of the aircraft referenced in the laptop INI are not installed so going through it would be a challenge at best.

Paul

FSUIPC4_MP2.zip

16 minutes ago, Gypsy Baron said:

On my home machine I have a great many of the previous FSUIPC4 downloads saved in an archive and once I am finished with my travels in late September I could see If I could narrow down the point at which the aircraft specific issue began. Until  then I can live with just editing the INI file when necessary.

Well I'll be looking at it, ad hopefully sorting it out soon. because it no doubt also applies to FSUIPC5 and I am hoping to get a new release of that out before I go away. If i fix it in FSUIPC5 then FSUIPC4 will be similar, so I can give you a link to an interim update then.

18 minutes ago, Gypsy Baron said:

I don't 'view' my INI in a 'broad' aircraft type or other identifier nor can I group or combine the various INI sections into anything other than the 'aircraft specific' architecture.

No, but really "Aircraft Specific" is a small subset of Profiles, in the sense that your current Aircraft Specific settings would be applicable with Profiles too. Okay, maybe not used in the 'spirit' of what Profiles was about, but having one type (i.e. short name same) of aircraft per specific group is the same as having a profile by that short name. The main difference is there's a Profile section which lists the aircraft applied to that Profile, (including by short name), so in your case there'd just be a "list" of one aircraft short name for each.

Anyway, you are right. It was for such cases I didn't automatically 'upgrade' all existing INIs to the Profile system -- though that's done for you, quite well I think, just by changing the UseProfiles setting to 'Yes'.

24 minutes ago, Gypsy Baron said:

I was/am reluctant to attempt any wholesale changes to the architecture that I have currently.

Whilst I can understand that, you could just make a safe copy of your INI and try just setting UseProfiles=Yes and see what you get.  think 9and hope (?) it will work fine for you. Though whether it solves the problem is another matter. I'm having to look into that.

27 minutes ago, Gypsy Baron said:

I have attached my 'main' INI file that resides on my home machine so you can see the methods I use.

Wow! It IS large!

It was to make configurations like this easier to manage that "UseProfiles=Files" was implemented. That's something else you could try without danger if you backup your INI first. 

With the 'Files' option you'd get an INI type file for each "Profile" (which in your case would be a short-name identified group of aircraft). The files are still kept together, in a sub-folder, but it does make each easir to deal with when/if you ever want to manually edit any.

Anyway, thanks for the file. I'll see what I can find.

Pete

Pete,

Just to be clear, that INI file is the one that exists on my home computer and not the one that I have here on my traveling laptop, which I am attaching here.

The previous file was to show the size and structure of my edits as an understanding of my 'reluctance' to make any changes in my methods :)

The attacked INI here shows the sections related to the C172 that were added at the end of the file and dis not appear to honor the ShortAircraftName.

Paul

FSUIPC4_MP2A.zip

I need more help to understand exactly what your problem with aircraft Specific is, because i cannot make anything go wrong here.

With "Profiles" all sections -- Axes, Buttons, Calibrations, Keys -- they are all selected by the same profile name. You can't have a different Profile for each type of setting.

With "aircraft Specific", each of those 4 sections are completely independent, ad each can have it's own airxraft using it by different "specific" short names. This is because there's no "Profiles.<name>] section to tie them together.

In your problem, were there already settings in the sections you are making assignment changes to? If not, then what you are getting is correct behaviour for aircraft-specific. there's nothing in common between the names associated with each section type.

Pete

7 minutes ago, Gypsy Baron said:

The attacked INI here shows the sections related to the C172 that were added at the end of the file and dis not appear to honor the ShortAircraftName.

Just scrolling through that. there are two different sections named:

[Axes.Boeing B-17G "Fearless Fosdick" Test]

There are 

[JoystickCalibration.c121] 
and
[JoystickCalibration.Lockheed C121A]

Which one comes up in Calibrations when you have that aircraft loaded?

I skipped most of the rest because there's so much, and they seem to be fairly mised up (one of the reasons for the "Files" option in Profiles mode).

However, the ONLY sections with "172" in at all are:all withh C172R as shortname. Assuming you really meant C182 as in your earlier report, there are these sections:

[Auto.C182]
[Axes.C182]
[Keys.C182] (empty, so really a non-section: windows ignores it)
[Buttons.C182]
[JoystickCalibration.C182]

and your

[Keys.C182_VH-DLL]
[Axes.C182_VH-DLL]

so, the only one which seems wrong is the Axes one.  Right?

I'll try to reproduce it just for 'axes'.

Pete

Well, after trying to reproduce the problem in all sorts of ways, and failing, I decided to try using your INI (MP2A version). And, lo and behold, I got the same as you!

I checked what was happening, and it is an original bug which has always been there!

The problem was that several of the axes assigned in the [Axes.C182] section were not connected:. This from the MP2A ini:

A=Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant << MISSING JOYSTICK >>
A.GUID={6B5A2B40-5A5C-11E4-8005-444553540000}
B=CH PRO PEDALS USB
B.GUID={E0590200-6113-11E4-8001-444553540000}
C=Saitek X45 << MISSING JOYSTICK >>
C.GUID={6B5A2B40-5A5C-11E4-8003-444553540000}
D=Saitek Pro Flight Yoke << MISSING JOYSTICK >>
D.GUID={6B5A2B40-5A5C-11E4-8004-444553540000}
E=Logitech Dual Action << MISSING JOYSTICK >>
E.GUID={6B5A2B40-5A5C-11E4-8002-444553540000}

The bug was that this caused a premature exit from the function checking for the Profile name.

I'll fix it in an interim update during the week.

Pete

Ah, thanks for the diligence and finding the cause of my issue.

I would never have seen this on my home machine as all the controllers are present, whereas here on my traveling laptop I only have a Logitec G3 keyboard  attached periodically and recently added the MadCatz joystick. I have far fewer axis on this setup and I didn't attempt to 'clean up' the ported over INI file.

Paul

Hi Pete.

I am having a problem with Axis assignment using profiles in 5.112.  All of the other categories buttons, keys, Etc allow selecting existing profile specific however Axis does not.  In 5.112 If I select axis and check profile specific I am presented with the new profile dialog even though there are axis settings contained in the specific profile ini file.  If I revert back to 5.111 without making any changes to FSUIPC.ini or the specific aircarft profile.ini all is well.  Attached is FSUPIC INI.

Per this thread I am not missing any joysticks

---------------------- Joystick Device Scan -----------------------
      171 Product= Saitek Pro Flight Quadrant
      171    Manufacturer= Saitek
      171    Vendor=06A3, Product=0C2D (Version 2.0)
      171    GUIDs returned for product: VID_06A3&PID_0C2D:
      171       GUID= {1A2CF0E0-F8DA-11E5-800A-444553540000}
      171       Details: Btns=9, POVs=(0, 0, 0, 0), Cal=x00000000, Max=R0,U0,V0,X255,Y255,Z255
      171 Product= CH PRO PEDALS USB 
      171    Manufacturer= CH PRODUCTS
      171    Vendor=068E, Product=00F2 (Version 0.0)
      171    GUIDs returned for product: VID_068E&PID_00F2:
      171       GUID= {1A386290-F8DA-11E5-8012-444553540000}
      171       Details: Btns=0, POVs=(0, 0, 0, 0), Cal=x00000000, Max=R0,U0,V0,X255,Y255,Z255
      171 Product= Pro Flight X65 Control System
      171    Manufacturer= Saitek
      171    Vendor=06A3, Product=0B6A (Version 1.101)
      171    GUIDs returned for product: VID_06A3&PID_0B6A:
      171       GUID= {1A38B0B0-F8DA-11E5-8015-444553540000}
      171       Details: Btns=50, POVs=(0, 0, 0, 0), Cal=x00000000, Max=R511,U255,V255,X4095,Y4095,Z255
      171 -------------------------------------------------------------------
      187 Device acquired for use:
      187    Joystick ID = 0 (Registry okay)
      187    0=Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant
      187    0.GUID={1A2CF0E0-F8DA-11E5-800A-444553540000}
      187    Joystick ID = 1 (Registry okay)
      187    1=CH PRO PEDALS USB
      187    1.GUID={1A386290-F8DA-11E5-8012-444553540000}
      187    Joystick ID = 2 (Registry okay)
      187    2=Saitek X65F Flight Controller
      187    2.GUID={1A38B0B0-F8DA-11E5-8015-444553540000}

33 minutes ago, gypsyczar said:

I am having a problem with Axis assignment using profiles in 5.112.  All of the other categories buttons, keys, Etc allow selecting existing profile specific however Axis does not.  In 5.112 If I select axis and check profile specific I am presented with the new profile dialog even though there are axis settings contained in the specific profile ini file.  If I revert back to 5.111 without making any changes to FSUIPC.ini or the specific aircarft profile.ini all is well.  Attached is FSUPIC INI.

The INI file, which I would need to see, as well as a log showing the aircraft name at least, was not attached!

Please ZIP files if you intend to attach.

If you select Axis assignments for an aircraft already assigned to a Profile, you cannot check or uncheck "Profile specific" as it will already be checked. So i assume you mean that it behaves as if the aircraft has not been assigned to a profile yet?

There is no "new Profile dialogue".  There's a dialogue allowing you to assign the aircraft to an existing Profile OR create a new one.

Perhaps some more information would help me understand, like name of aircraft being assigned to, as well, of course, as the INI file containing the Profile assignments.

34 minutes ago, gypsyczar said:

Per this thread I am not missing any joysticks

This thread was solely about the old system, without Profiles. It is the wrong thread for a Profiles problem.

Pete

Hi Pete,

Sorry for the extended delay, I was away from the home computer. I kept this response in the "wrong" thread for continuity

Attached is a zip file containing:  

1. The fsuipc5.ini for 5.112

2. The Previous log file for 5.111

3. The log file for 5.112

4. The PMDG 737ngx.ini profile file

Once again, all was working fine under 5.111.  I ran the installer for 5.112 and made no changes to any of the FSUIPC files.  After the 5.112 install the Axis Assignments from the profiles were not being made by FSUIPC (or shown in Axis Assignments) for the corresponding selected aircraft.  Selecting the Profile Specific ? checkbox on the Axis Assignment tab results in the display of the "Do you want to apply the general assignments to this aircraft" dialog box even though axis assignments exist in the aircrafts profile.ini file  I sent you the PMDG 737NGX profile, but the problem was common across all aircraft with profiles.

Deleting the 5.112 DLL and reverting to the 5.111 install results in proper operation of the axis assignments..  

Profile.zip

4 minutes ago, gypsyczar said:

Selecting the Profile Specific ? checkbox on the Axis Assignment tab results in the display of the "Do you want to apply the general assignments to this aircraft" dialog box even though axis assignments exist in the aircrafts profile.ini file 

If you say "No" to that, is the correct Profile among those on offer for you to choose from? What happens if you do?

Pete

12 hours ago, gypsyczar said:

I reinstalled 5.112 (for the third time) and now it works as advertised.  Sorry for any extra work on your part.  Issue closed......

Well, I have actually found a little bug which could cause the symptoms you saw originally, so I will be releasing an interim update in any case. within the next day or two. I found it be comparing that area of FSUIPC code with the same part in FSUIPC4, and saw a difference which didn't make sense (and wasn't related to the conversion to 64-bit).

Pete