The simFlight Network Forums

Request Help with Transponder and ADF Stby.

Dear Pete.

I hope it´s ok i combined this two requests in one Topic.  If there is still a existing solution please tell me short how to fix my problems....  Else maby the follow can be intresting to get ne features in a upcoming version....

By the Way...  I Know both can be down with a own LUA Script but for me programming is still difficult and i think lots of users think so.

1)   Missing Transponder Single Diggit  "SET" Event

A firend of mine got a premounted Transponder with a old analoge Display technic  ....looking maby like This...

440px-Transponder_2.jpg

Here there are Disk with Printed Numbers connected to teh 8 Position rotary switches.  To Controll this with FSUIPC i think its Needed to SET the Part of Transponder Code... the Increase and Decrease is not usefull here...  the Internal Value MUST be set exactly to the Value that is shown on Display and is used with the Switch Position.

I Know we can write the Offset itself instead of the EventID.... BUT.  Our Software we use only allwo us "Write of a Value to a FULL Byte" or "Set of ONE Bit"   In that case we need to write the nibble (Halfbyte) OR we need to set a Binary Value to all 4 Bits.....  Both is not Possible with our Softwaresolution.

So my Request....   Is it Posible to implement 4 new EventID´s ... For Each Transpnder Diggit additional to INC and DEC  a new  SET Event ??

2)  Problems with ADF1 and ADF2 Standby

Lots of AddOns got a Problem with the FSX ADF Standbys.... So They use internal Variables ( Like Jeehell FMGS) or the talk direct via SimConnect like PMDG.   In Case of PMDG i think there is no way to readout the Displayed Value of the Standby in Virtual Cockpit.... So This is not working for me.

So i try FSUIPC for this but i see some Problems.....  FSUIPC only allow us to set the ACTIVE ADF....  But my Panel Layout and Logic need a set of the Standby !   Futher i read that the SWAP of ADF2 is not working via FSUIPC finaly.

So here my Request....   Can you solve this problems for us ??   Maby with the follow logic in example for ADF1 Standby .....

Can you use for Offset 0284 / 0286 as Data  NOT the Real FSX Standby.... Can you use here simply a variable that only exist in FSUIPC ??

Then the Events that currently change the ADF1 Active need to be replaced by Events that internal in FSUIPC now Write the Variable ( And not longer the ADF1  Active in Sim )

Finaly the SWAP Logic must be replaced too, so the Swap now use the "Variable" and not longer the real Standby from FSX.  ( I Hope you understand what i mean )

I think biggest part of the users need a setting of the Standby.... So a replacing is maby the better option....  maby you think about additional suppport this with new Offsetand Events.

Thanks for reading Pete.  Maby this is interesting for you and you can add something in the future.  If not.  No Problem.   Thanks for your Work !

1 hour ago, Pizman said:

Is it Posible to implement 4 new EventID´s ... For Each Transpnder Diggit additional to INC and DEC  a new  SET Event ??

I'm sorry, but the whole reason I implemented the Lua plug-in system was precisely to make this sort of expansion possible without continually impleneting new facilities in FSUIPC. 

Pete

You not need to say sorry !   FSUIPC is your "Baby" and you define how it should be !

In case of Transponder i agree....  The Current System works for 99% of Users.  And i still said the same in my entry posting..... I still Know that LUA is the Key.  

Maby the ADF Part is a little different.   I know here LUA is the key, too....  BUT  I think here the current System is not working for most of the Users... Inverted. Here most of the Users have a Problem i think !

I don´t want to cadge for this feature.  I just want to tell you and maby you think same way like me.   

Alternate  here good Solution is not a Reworking of the FSUIPC System.  It will be helpfull, too if you just add  a"example script" into the Example ZIP File. 

I know this is not your primary Job do make LUA Scripts individual for a User.... But here it´s a little complex and a example will be verry helpfull ... Not only for me. !

Finaly..   Thank you !  Whatever the ADF is working fine....   FSUIPC is a fantastic tool.   Without it. thousends of HomeCockpit Dreams never come true !

3 minutes ago, Pizman said:

Maby the ADF Part is a little different.   I know here LUA is the key, too....  BUT  I think here the current System is not working for most of the Users... Inverted. Here most of the Users have a Problem i think !

Sorry, I did miss that part of your original post.

17 hours ago, Pizman said:

FSUIPC only allow us to set the ACTIVE ADF....  But my Panel Layout and Logic need a set of the Standby !   Futher i read that the SWAP of ADF2 is not working via FSUIPC finaly.

Which Sim is this with?

ADF2 swap was a bug which I reported to L-M and I'm fairly sure was fixed in the latest versions of PeD. Have you tried those?

ADF1 STBY SET and ADF2 STBY SET were added to P3D . They also added AFD1 PRIMARY SET and ADF2 PRIMARY SET to complete the set in a tidy fashion.

FSX and before did not have full ADF2 support. I'm afraid I cannot help with those.

Pete

Hi Again.

On 19.8.2017 at 3:54 PM, Pete Dowson said:

Which Sim is this with?

Sorry i missed to tell i´m using FSX ( the Old Box Version with Acceleration )    Maby i realy should swap to P3D now :-)

On 19.8.2017 at 3:54 PM, Pete Dowson said:

ADF2 swap was a bug which I reported to L-M and I'm fairly sure was fixed in the latest versions of PeD. Have you tried those?

ADF1 STBY SET and ADF2 STBY SET were added to P3D . They also added AFD1 PRIMARY SET and ADF2 PRIMARY SET to complete the set in a tidy fashion.

FSX and before did not have full ADF2 support. I'm afraid I cannot help with those.

Pete

First i don´t know what L-M and PeD means....  But i think this is P3D Stuff ... Right ??

Finaly i see a video from a P3D user that be able to work with ADF1 Standby....  Also i read in your "Control List PDF" that there are SET Events for P3D Only.

So i understand now with FSX it´s not posible to set the ADF Standby.

Last Thing....

If you find time can you just guide me on the right way.....  Is the Follow Script Logic ok, for a own written Lua Code ??

1. I define a Variable and write it on Systemstart to 14000 for Example.

2. I Write this Variable permanent  to a Free Offset ( So i can Read it out via my Software, that only can read FSUIIPC Offsets and show it on a Display)

3. I Use/define  6 Inputs ( Maby Direct Joystick Buttons or 6 Bits of a observed Free Offset that are written by my software)

4. I write in the Script the 6 logics (each Encoder direction)  like... " If Button 1 is pressed for Increase Hundrets Part" then Variable + 100 "    ( With a overrun logic on Frequency Limit if needed.)

5. I Finaly need a Logic for the Swap Button ( Again a selv defined Joystickbutton or Offset) like...  READ FSX ADF1 ACTIVE and save it temporary to a new variable   Then   Write current Standby Variable to the Original FSX Active Offset AND Write Temporary saved Variable to our ADF Standby Variable.

I Hope you understand what i mean.....   Please only tell me if this is the correct way. ?     Thank You !

18 hours ago, Pizman said:

If you find time can you just guide me on the right way.....  Is the Follow Script Logic ok, for a own written Lua Code ??

Not sure I can advise really until you try writing it. But just some comments:

1. I define a Variable and write it on Systemstart to 14000 for Example.

In Lua you don't have to pre--define variables. Just set it, like
   x = 14000

2. I Write this Variable permanent  to a Free Offset

Don't use what you think might be "free offsets", only User Offsets, 66C0-66FF.

For variables only needed to be retained for other or later Lua plug-ins, it would be better to use Lua globals (via ipc.set and ipc.get functions).

4. I write in the Script the 6 logics (each Encoder direction)  like... " If Button 1 is pressed for Increase Hundrets Part" then Variable + 100 "    ( With a overrun logic on Frequency Limit if needed.)

Take care here. I think that radio frequencies have to be written in BCD (="Binary coded decimal").  Like 11432 would be 0x11432, not the decimal number.

If you are writing the values direct to the offsets in FSUIPC for the radio frequencies (which would be easier than using the FS Controls), then please heed the notes for those offsets in the Offsets Status List (in yourFSUIPC Documents folder). They aren't a straight copy. NAV and COM drop the 1 from 1xx.xx and just have xxxx. ADF frequecies are in two parts with the y digits in yxxx.y in a separate offset.

Using the FS controls the values are NOT always in the units displayed on the radios, but kHz or something different.

5. I Finaly need a Logic for the Swap Button ( Again a selv defined Joystickbutton or Offset) like...  READ FSX ADF1 ACTIVE and save it temporary to a new variable   Then   Write current Standby Variable to the Original FSX Active Offset AND Write Temporary saved Variable to our ADF Standby Variable.

Using the offsets for Use and Standby (where supported) that's not as complicated. Where standby is not supported you'd need tostore it yourself, in a User Offset, or in a Lua Glonal variable.

Pete

Wonderfull !

Thanks Pete.... realy great support !

Please not lough about what i wrote....   It´s realy difficult to explane a script in my fantasy  with words.... specialy when i not know the Syntax from Lua already :-)

At the moment i enjoy the nice weather and have fun with my friends.... But this winter i realy planned to invest 1-2 months to "learn" the Lua Stuff.   I got experiance from early days with Basic, Qbasic (School 25 Years ago) ...  I hope i be albel to write those scripts next year !

So Topic can be closed....  Thanks again for your great help !