The simFlight Network Forums

#Nyerges Tower3D Pro KBOS Cape Air Aircraft type

richbonneau

I just purchased the RC KBOS pack and updated my RT to SP6.

Cape Air traffic at Boston is using a single engine Cessna instead of the twin (C402). 

The YouTube videos I've seen of KBOS show what looks to be a C402, which would be correct for KAP. 

Everything looks to be installed properly.

Rich

40 minutes ago, richbonneau said:

I just purchased the RC KBOS pack and updated my RT to SP6.

Cape Air traffic at Boston is using a single engine Cessna instead of the twin (C402). 

The YouTube videos I've seen of KBOS show what looks to be a C402, which would be correct for KAP. 

Everything looks to be installed properly.

Rich

KBOS schedule has 2 Cessna's -- CNA (prop jet) & CN4 (turboprop jet).  They usually depart and arrive in pairs.  The terminal area for Cape Air is not exact in the game.  Typically you'd see 2 parallel rows w/ ~10 planes at a time, but the developers chose to use a physical aircraft gate and only allow 2 planes at the terminal at any one time.

I'm not familiar with this airline as I've never flown on it.  Here is a clip from KBOS schedule today that marks for CNA & C402.  I see both by type get tagged as a 402, but why do they Ident as CNA & C402?  Any ideas?    ((I know of the C402 because of my custom traffic schedule builds.  Even in the game files, the developer calls CNA & CN4 as two different aircraft))

KBOSKAPs.png.76e34f38fdeb5f91d079e85ccdd9fbfa.png

That's interesting.....  I never noticed that before on Flightaware.

CNA is the IATA code for a 'light Cessna'.

C402 is the ICAO code.

I would have expected the traffic, and flightaware for that matter, to use the ICAO aircraft type.

KAP uses the 402 exclusively in KBOS.  

Also, I modified the airline file to change "CAIR" to "CARE".  Hopefully that will clean up the pilot transmisstions.

The reason there are two entries on Flightaware is that each Cape Air pilot has their own distinct callsign or "Cair Number." The flight plans and all ATC transmissions use that Cair number instead of the customer-facing "Flight Number" used on most other carriers. In the example above, "42" is the Cair Number associated with a particular pilot and KAP42 is the callsign used for that flight. KAP5431 is the advertised flight number (all flights between BOS-ACK start with a 5). If you watch Cape Air on Flightaware you will notice the flight plans using the Cair Numbers are the actual flights while the ones using the Flight Numbers are duplicate ghost flights which tend to be on a brief delay.

1 hour ago, MustangPauli said:

The reason there are two entries on Flightaware is that each Cape Air pilot has their own distinct callsign or "Cair Number." The flight plans and all ATC transmissions use that Cair number instead of the customer-facing "Flight Number" used on most other carriers. In the example above, "42" is the Cair Number associated with a particular pilot and KAP42 is the callsign used for that flight. KAP5431 is the advertised flight number (all flights between BOS-ACK start with a 5). If you watch Cape Air on Flightaware you will notice the flight plans using the Cair Numbers are the actual flights while the ones using the Flight Numbers are duplicate ghost flights which tend to be on a brief delay.

That's pretty interesting.  So basically the developers real traffic schedule is incorrect on any row that has "CNA" listed as an aircraft type and any flight that has a 4-digit flight number really is not the true flight?  I only ask b/c the real traffic file is loaded with 4-digit flight numbers and CNA's

2 hours ago, ATControl -- Joe said:

That's pretty interesting.  So basically the developers real traffic schedule is incorrect on any row that has "CNA" listed as an aircraft type and any flight that has a 4-digit flight number really is not the true flight?  I only ask b/c the real traffic file is loaded with 4-digit flight numbers and CNA's

I don't know for sure if the Cair numbers are restricted to a certain digit count but, in most cases, they seem to be between one and three digits while the advertised flight numbers are either three or four digits. I also can not speak to how the developers made the schedule but, the flights which use the CNA aircraft type on Flightaware are generally duplicates and should more often than not be ignored.

42 minutes ago, MustangPauli said:

I don't know for sure if the Cair numbers are restricted to a certain digit count but, in most cases, they seem to be between one and three digits while the advertised flight numbers are either three or four digits. I also can not speak to how the developers made the schedule but, the flights which use the CNA aircraft type on Flightaware are generally duplicates and should more often than not be ignored.

Ignoring flights is good news.  Less coding for me w my new custom schedule haha