The simFlight Network Forums

Missing Modules in 5.12b

I had problems with the PFC Radios after a reset of the whole system. When instaling the FSUIPC 5.12b (i think) I noticed that the Modules Directory was not established.
Iwas shure to select Directory for P3D V4
When starting the P3D v4 the FSUIPC was present in the add-ons an worked, even if I could not find the folder. Then I tried to install the PFC serial driver. Startup picture ok but the next picture
Internal error: An attempt was made to expand the "app" constant before it was initialized.
and in the nex picture Cannot find FSX folder. Please make shure FSX is installed.
FSX is present in the directory same way as in P3D V3
This means I can't use my PFC Serial Radio consol.
I tried to manually set in an Modules folder and copied in tne PFC, PFCcom64 and PFCFX all dll files with no luck

Is there any tips for this.

I have read the installation so the eye is big and wet

HenningR

3 hours ago, hrings said:

When starting the P3D v4 the FSUIPC was present in the add-ons an worked, even if I could not find the folder.

If FSUIPC is being loaded and run, then there certainy is a "modules" folder. I suggest you shown my the FSUIPC Installer log then I can tell you exactly where it is. (In case you can't find a copy of that either, re-run the installer. it will place the log in the folder (or desktop) in which you run it as well as in the Modules folder).

And remember to run the Installer as administrator (right click then run as ...).

Then I tried to install the PFC serial driver. Startup picture ok but the next picture

If you mean my PFCcom64.DLL, it has no installer and produces no "startup picture". You simply place the actuall DLL into the Modules folder, when you find it. A DLL cannot run on its own like a program.

FSX is present in the directory same way as in P3D V3

P3D3? But FSUIPC5 is only for P3D4. it is the 64-bit version. It can't be installed into nor run in P3D3. It isn't possible..

This means I can't use my PFC Serial Radio consol.

I thought the PFC radio console was a USB "HID" device, not an ordinary RS232 serial port device? Or did they make such what, 10--20 years ago? I know there was one in the centre console -- I have such in my PFC 737 cockpit.

I tried to manually set in an Modules folder

No, do NOT do that! If there's not one there then FSUIPC has not been installed and certainly never run.

copied in tne PFC, PFCcom64 and PFCFX

You certainly NEVER want all those. Either you use P3D4 in which case it is PFCcom64.DLL or PFChid64.DLL, or you are using FSX or P3D3, in which case it is PFCFSX.DLL or PFDhid.DLL.  And I don't know a PFC.DLL.

Pete

8 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

If FSUIPC is being loaded and run, then there certainy is a "modules" folder. I suggest you shown my the FSUIPC Installer log then I can tell you exactly where it is. (In case you can't find a copy of that either, re-run the installer. it will place the log in the folder (or desktop) in which you run it as well as in the Modules folder).

Installer for FSUIPC5.DLL version 5.121b

Looking in registry for Prepar3D v4 install path:
     HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4
     Parameter"AppPath"
... >>>  OK! FOUND Prepar3D v4!  <<< ...
     AppPath=C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\
===========================================================

INSTALLATION FOR Prepar3D v4:
AppPath="C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\"
Checking version of the Prepar3D v4 EXE:
... Version 4.1.7.22841  (Need at least 4.0.20.21316)
Checking if there's already a version of FSUIPC5 installed in:
       C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Modules\FSUIPC5.DLL
... Version 5.121b found.
Prepar3D v4 Modules folder already exists.
Okay -- installed FSUIPC5 into "C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Modules\FSUIPC5.DLL"
Looking for the current user's Application Data path: 
... found as "C:\Users\hring\AppData\Roaming"
Now finding \Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Prepar3D.CFG for all users, including this one
Looking in "C:\Users\All Users\AppData\Roaming"
 ... No Prepar3D.CFG there
Looking in "C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming"
Looking in "C:\Users\Default User\AppData\Roaming"
Looking in "C:\Users\defaultuser0\AppData\Roaming"
Looking in "C:\Users\hring\AppData\Roaming"
Found Prepar3D.CFG in "C:\Users\hring\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Prepar3D.CFG"
Now checking DLL.XML ...
... There is a previous DLL.XML, checking for FSUIPC5 section.
... FSUIPC5 section already exists but will be replaced.
... FSUIPC5 section of DLL.XML written okay
Now checking for a SimConnect.XML file ...
... No SimConnect.XML file found. This is okay.
Looking in "C:\Users\Public\AppData\Roaming"
Attempt to set the ACL entries for Modules access permissions failed, error = 1332
"Modules\FSUIPC Documents" folder already exists.
Now installing additional files into the "Modules\FSUIPC Documents" folder:
   Installed "FSUIPC5 User Guide.pdf" okay
   Installed "FSUIPC5 for Advanced Users.pdf" okay
   Installed "The 2016 List of FSX and P3D Controls.pdf" okay
   Installed "FSUIPC Lua Library.pdf" okay
   Installed "FSUIPC Lua Plug-Ins.pdf" okay
   Installed "Lua License.pdf" okay
   Installed "LuaFileSystem.pdf" okay
   Installed "Example LUA plugins.zip" okay
   Installed "FSUIPC4 Offsets Status.pdf" okay
   Installed "Profiles in Separate Files.pdf" okay
   Installed "FSUIPC5 History.pdf" okay
   Installed "Lua Plugins for VRInsight Devices.pdf" okay
   Installed "ASN WX Radar facilities in FSUIPC4.pdf" okay
   Installed "Offset Mapping for PMDG 737NGX.pdf" okay
   Installed "Offset Mapping for PMDG 777X.pdf" okay
   Installed "Offset Mapping for PMDG 747QOTSII.pdf" okay
===========================================================

All installer tasks completed.
Registration dialog 'not now' selected
*************** End of Install Log ***************

And remember to run the Installer as administrator (right click then run as ...).

If you mean my PFCcom64.DLL, it has no installer and produces no "startup picture". You simply place the actuall DLL into the Modules folder, when you find it. A DLL cannot run on its own like a program.

P3D3? But FSUIPC5 is only for P3D4. it is the 64-bit version. It can't be installed into nor run in P3D3. It isn't possible..
Of course in the P3D V3 I use the FSUIPC 4

I thought the PFC radio console was a USB "HID" device, not an ordinary RS232 serial port device? Or did they make such what, 10--20 years ago? I know there was one in the centre console -- I have such in my PFC 737 cockpit.

No it is the old serial one from around the beginning of the 2000

No, do NOT do that! If there's not one there then FSUIPC has not been installed and certainly never run.

You certainly NEVER want all those. Either you use P3D4 in which case it is PFCcom64.DLL or PFChid64.DLL, or you are using FSX or P3D3, in which case it is PFCFSX.DLL or PFDhid.DLL.  And I don't know a PFC.DLL.

Pete

It clearly states that the Modules folder should be where its ment to be , but I am unable to find it.
every thing is set to show hidden items

Best HenningR

9 hours ago, hrings said:

Attempt to set the ACL entries for Modules access permissions failed, error = 1332

That's the reason you can't access the folders. Windows is preventing you! Are you running the Installer "as administrator". You have t, otherwise it cannot change the permissions on the Modules folder!

It clearly states that the Modules folder should be where its ment to be , but I am unable to find it.
every thing is set to show hidden items

Try running Windows Explorer "as administrator". You should then be able to see it.  Then see if you can check the folder permissions.

To do this (with Explorer running "as administrator"):

1. In Windows Explorer RIGHT click on the P3D modules folder,
2. Select "Properties" down at the bottom of the popup list.
3, You'll see a dialogue window called "Modules Properties". It has 5 tabs I think.
4. Select the "Security" tab. This will display a two part window. 
5. Look at the list at the top. there should be an entry labelled "Everyone". Select it.
6. Then in the lower list all the first 6 entries should be ticked.
7. That's it. Just click Cancel to exit.

The FSUIPC Installer tries to set user "EveryOne" with full control. That would let you look and add/change files, and it would also allow FSUIPC to run correctly even if you don't run P3D "as administrator". (You could change these permissions like that yourself, but the Installer should have done it for you anyway.

Of course in the P3D V3 I use the FSUIPC 4

So do you have a problem there too? I really couldn't work much out from your first message, it seemed to mix things up.

Pete

I have problems how to set the file explorer as administrator. When I try run as administrator is greyed out and unable to change. I went to windows and found the explorer.exe right clicked and crossed for  run as adinistrator. but still without modules folder

It works ok inP3D V3 with the FSUIPC 4
Henning R

4 hours ago, hrings said:

When I try run as administrator is greyed out and unable to change. I went to windows and found the explorer.exe right clicked and crossed for  run as adinistrator. but still without modules folder

I've not had anyone with such problems before. This is insane!

With any program you should be able to right click on it, select "run as ..." then "administator" in the choices which come up. You surely must have done that with the FSUIPC5 Installer, as instructed?  Otherwise it wouldn't have even been able to create the Modules folder.

Or are you saying you actually ran Explorer 'as administrator' and it still stopped you seeing folders of P3D?  Normally lack of administrator privileges would stop you (or programs not running 'as administrator') changing files if the permissions aren't set correctly, but certainly not seeing the folders and their contents.

Do you see other folders in P3D? If so, then Modules is just another. It is supposed to have relaxed permissions, as i explained earlier, but otherwise it is just like any other folder in P3D.

It sounds like it was never created, but the install log proves it was -- and it also proves that the Installer could access the folder it created where it tells you it installed FSUIPC5 into here:

C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Modules

Therefore I really do think you cannot actually be looking in the correct place!

Can you do a P3D directory list and show me please? You'll need to go to the bottom left on the Win10 screen, nd in the search edit entry filed (or whatever it is called), enter

command /c 

and press Enter. That will bring up a DOS window.

type

C:

and press Enter, then

cd \Program files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

and press Enter. This should return a prompt with that path. Now

dir >c:\dir.txt  and Enter.

You can then exit by exit Enter

There will be a file called dir.txt in c:\. Paste its contents back here please.

Pete

There we have the reason.

It has been established under prgramfiles/lochedd Martin/Prepar3D v4 in stead of c:\ProgramFiles(x86)\Lockheed Martin\ Prepar3D v4.

What do I do to change that?
I placed in the modules folder PFCcom64. PFC, PFCfsx all dll it says that com port 2 is ok but still no lights in the avionics panel.
Might that be because its loaded into ProgramFiles and not Programfiles(64)

Henning

1 hour ago, hrings said:

There we have the reason.

It has been established under prgramfiles/lochedd Martin/Prepar3D v4 in stead of c:\ProgramFiles(x86)\Lockheed Martin\ Prepar3D v4.

Program Files(x86) is for 32-bit programs. P3D4 is 64 bit. If you let it install in its default path, then it will be Program Files, and the correct path is found in any case by the FSUIPC5 Installer:

INSTALLATION FOR Prepar3D v4:
AppPath="C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\"

Isn't that where you've been looking?

You cannot change this without uninstalling P3D, and reinstalling choosing your own path. For a completely hassle-free future with FSUIPC and other apps you may want to use, it is always best to install outside of any Windows-controlled folders. I would recommend something simple, like C:\Prepar3D v4. I alway install sims on a separate drive to the System, as it expands greatly with add-on sceneries and so on. Best to keep the system disk tight and efficient.

Leaving it where it is may mean, with some applications, running P3D "as administrator" too. Otherwise they may not work correctly. That shouldn't apply to recent applications designed specifically for P3D4 though.

I am working on a revised FSUIPC and Installer which will install into a separate folder, probably something like C:\FSUIPC5\Modules. I'm rather worried, however, that this will adversely affect some applications which use FSUIPC and find it by knowing where P3D is situated. FSUIPC has a very long history of always being in the Modules folder withing the sim, and many applications rely on that.

Pete

Thanks for that answer. I guess the best will be then to uninstall in ProgramFiles(86) and let it be under ProgramFiles. I was'nt aware that the 86 was 32 bit I thought that was the 64 bit.
What files do I need for the serial Avonic to function?

Best HenningR

2 hours ago, hrings said:

I guess the best will be then to uninstall in ProgramFiles(86) and let it be under ProgramFiles.

But according to the Registry, it isn't installed in "Program files(x86)". And unless you chose that folder explicitly it certainly wouldn'ty have been installed there in any case!

FSUIPC in installed in the copy of Prepar3D v4 in "Program Files" not "Program Files (x86)". THAT is where the Modules folder will be and also where you've been saying all this time you've been looking!!!

If you are going to uninstall and reinstall you care far better off choosing somewhere else altogether. well away from easy of those folders. Try, for instance, C:\Prepar3D v4.

What files do I need for the serial Avonic to function?

Don't concern yourself with that until you have a properly installed P3D and actually know where to look for the Modules folder. Unless you find the correct folder you've got no chance.

Pete

Thanks for all. All functioning and works ok.
The fault was that When i installed first time i placed it under the same as p3d v3 and therefore under (x86).

When I reinstalled it choose self the place and placed it under Program Files.
Sorry my misstake that I thought (x86) was the 64 bit folder.

Henning R

10 hours ago, hrings said:

Thanks for all. All functioning and works ok.
The fault was that When i installed first time i placed it under the same as p3d v3 and therefore under (x86).

When I reinstalled it choose self the place and placed it under Program Files.
Sorry my misstake that I thought (x86) was the 64 bit folder.

Okay. Glad you resolved it -- though I'm not sure how the registry managed to say it was in "Program Files", nor how FSUIPC5 did in fact install correctly into Program files, as shown in your original Installer log, so:

On 10/27/2017 at 12:25 AM, hrings said:

Checking if there's already a version of FSUIPC5 installed in:
       C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Modules\FSUIPC5.DLL
... Version 5.121b found.
Prepar3D v4 Modules folder already exists.

So what was actually wrong is still a complete mystery!

Pete