The simFlight Network Forums

Steering using steering axis, not rudder [was in topic FSUIPC FSLABS A320 P3Dv4]

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 8:58 PM, Pete Dowson said:

Can you show what you have tried in your "struggle"?

pete

apologies for the late reply ..... I've been more interested / busy "testing" your AIFreezer.lua & have not had a chance to test the attached (as an [Auto]).

your notes will be helpful if I'm on the right track or not.

I do however after more observations without the attached believe such a lua might interfere unnecessarily with P3D4's blending of pedal nw steer & rudder control which seems to be an improvement on fsx's pedal blends .... and indeed is a plus for your "direct" options as much as with 65696 (though the later is deflecting pedal nw steer a tad too much at the slowest speeds)

cheers

john

rudscale.txt

Edited by vadriver

8 hours ago, vadriver said:

your notes will be helpful if I'm on the right track or not.

Is this all to limit rudder movement altogether? It can't be for the lower DU display, which you said a couple of messages back was okay now. I assume you are now not using rudder for steering?

In your Lua code:

function ControlCheck(off, val)
	GS = val / 65536.0 * 1.94384 --groundspeed in knots
	if GS =< 1 then
		ipc.writeSD(0x3114, ipcParam * 1.0)
		ipc.writeSD(0X3110, 65696)
	end
end

function PedalSteer(off, val)
	if 1 < GS <= 40 then
		ipc.writeSD(0x3114, ipcParam * 0.1)
	end
end

function RudderSteer(off, val)
	if GS > 40 then
	end
end

event.offset(0x02B4, "SD", "ControlCheck")
event.offset(0x02B4, "SD", "PedalSteer")
event.offset(0x02B4, "SD", "RudderSteer")

why 3 functions all called at more or less the same time? Rather wasteful. better as follows

unction ControlCheck(off, val)
	if GS =< 1 or GS > 40 then
	else
	end
end

event.offset(0x02B4, "SD", "ControlCheck")

But now please tell me what you think is in ipcPARAM.  That normally would contain the value of the parameter of the control you've assigned to run this Lua plug-in -- most usually the axis value when assigned to an axis control.

It looks like it should be the rudder axis input value, but where are you getting it from? No where!

I think you are trying to make an axis-changing process operate as an event-driven plug-in based instead on the ground speed which you should be reading instead. i.e.

val = ipc.readUD(0x02B4)
if GS =< 1 or GS > 40 then
else
end

Then assign it Lua to yor rudder axis. i.e. instead of running it Auto.

One more question.  The control 65696 is "Rudder set". Is that the best control working with your aircraft? P3D/FSX would normally assign "Axis rudder set" (65764). Check, see which works best.

9 hours ago, vadriver said:

I do however after more observations without the attached believe such a lua might interfere unnecessarily with P3D4's blending of pedal nw steer & rudder control which seems to be an improvement on fsx's pedal blends .

Does the nose wheel steering control now provided use the rudder too? I didn't think so, but I don't know as I've never used it. I didn't think FSX ever had anything like "pedal blends" -- that's why I did it in FSUIPC.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 7:50 PM, Pete Dowson said:

Is this all to limit rudder movement altogether? It can't be for the lower DU display, which you said a couple of messages back was okay now. I assume you are now not using rudder for steering?

pete

firstly, I continue to use your blended "direct" steering tiller / rudder assigning along with RBL successfully ... with the ngx on P3D4.

the ambition for the discussed lua was initially to "mimic" this same behaviour using the separate P3D4 steering (tiller) & rudder set axis for reasons that have now become inappropriate.

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 7:50 PM, Pete Dowson said:

I didn't think FSX ever had anything like "pedal blends" -- that's why I did it in FSUIPC

yes, FSX doesn't blend pedal nosewheel steer & pedal rudder control, but P3D4 i believe does almost well enough ..... well enough not to interfere with i'm thinking if you can "manage" excess pedal nosewheel steer at low (<20kt) groundspeed. 

one day (though unlikely soon) i might try the airbus addons which "recommend" using P3D4 assignments & but provide limited low speed pedal nosewheel deflections.

for now thanks for your time in this. i'm busy "trialling" AIFreezer & will "report" soon (if that's okay)

cheers

john

• 3 weeks later...

Pete,

I am running P3Dv4.3 w/ FSUIPC v5.14. I am having a strange problem. I do not know where to turn to fix it. Can't seem to figure out where the settings are wrong. My nose steers opposite of my rudder deflection! (PMDG 737NGX). If I look at the "Tiller" upon rudder deflection, it also indicates the opposite of the rudder pedals. Ultimately I would like to have a separate tiller command, with no rudder operation on the ground. 

Regards,

Stephen

4 hours ago, 737NGX said:

My nose steers opposite of my rudder deflection! (PMDG 737NGX). If I look at the "Tiller" upon rudder deflection, it also indicates the opposite of the rudder pedals.

Same single rudder control input and assignment? If so, FSUIPC cannot do anything about that, no matter where you assign.

Does it do the same with default aircraft?

4 hours ago, 737NGX said:

Ultimately I would like to have a separate tiller command, with no rudder operation on the ground. 

That would be wrong. There's an increasing rudder effectiveness on the ground as speed increases, and this is needed during the latter part of the take-off roll. Hence the blending facility in FSUIPC.

Pete

• Pete Dowson unpinned this topic
  • 1 month later...