The simFlight Network Forums

USB board problem talking to FSUIPC

Hello,

I just wanted to share my experience here for some possible input. I have a home built flight simulator full cockpit with overhead panel that is currently being refitted with different usb interface boards.

I discovered this particular USB interface board will not work to "FULL POTENTIAL" using FSUIPC and FSX (PMDG in my case): http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=94&products_id=300

My original overheard panel used 5 of the "BBI-32" usb boards and they worked fine. The problem with this usb device (BBI-64) is that FSUIPC will only detect 32 of the 64 inputs. Note that FSUIPC is listed under "Product Downloads/ tab.  If Pete knows how to remedy the issue that would be great. Otherwise I will have to stick with the 32 pin  boards for flight sim use and lost quite a few usb ports. Dont forget windows usb port shortage errors! (maximum usb  ports used)

Here is what Leo Bodnar website replied to me about this problem: "If FSUIPC does not support more than 32 buttons then it will not work with BBI-64 that has 64 buttons."

To verify the interface board works as it should, I used a program called PPjoy to test inputs. All 64 test good. But when using "Windows devices/properties"..... only 32 inputs will show. Maybe this is the problem. FSUIPC does not recognize all 64 inputs (maybe is does not look for that many) seems windows does the same thing. 

Hope this could be resolved and possibly help someone else.  Larry

If you want FSUIPC  support you MUST post to the FSUIPC Support Forum.  Apart from the support for the .NET DLL the subforums are repositories for reference information, not query and response.

I moved it for you.

4 hours ago, Larry C said:

Note that FSUIPC is listed under "Product Downloads/ tab.

What does this mean? 

4 hours ago, Larry C said:

The problem with this usb device (BBI-64) is that FSUIPC will only detect 32 of the 64 inputs

At the time FSUIPC's button and axis assignment facilities was added, DirectInput only supported so many axes and 32 buttons, and all of the software design was based around that. Even now there are very few "joystick" type USB devices which exceed the numbers of either supported by FSUIPC, and the severe design upheaval to support further additions (and current DirectInput now goes up to 128 I believe) is excessive for the demand, and would jeopardise the established stability of the product. 

To allow for all sorts of future expansion, instead of messing with the original design I added ways for folks to do it themselves using plug-ins scripted in Lua. All HID (human interface devices) can be supported via such scripts, including devices with 64 or more button inputs.  And it is made easier for Joystick type HID devices which are mostly decoded for you.

The documentation for these plug-ins is provided in your FSUIPC Documents subfolder, and there's even an example in the "Example Lua Plugins" collection -- HidDemo.lua.

BTW I also use Leo Bodnar boards, but multiple BU0836 ones. These are all easily supported natively by FSUIPC without the need for plug-ins.

Pete

3 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

What does this mean? 

The Leo Bodnar page for the BBI-64 board shows links for recommended 3rd party software and FSUIPC is in the list.

Pete, can I get it clear in my mind what the limitation is (because I've got a BBI-64 to play with as well)?  Apologies if they are dumb questions, but I'm not at my home PC at the moment so I can't test anything and don't have access to the FSUIPC documents.

If, for instance, I connected 64 on/off buttons to the board, would FSUIPC5 recognise all of the buttons when pressed, or only 32 of them?  So far, I'm only running LUA programs from all of the buttons and switches connected to my board, but I've nowhere near 32 yet.  Could I use up to 64 buttons to run LUA programs?

Thanks, Peter

Edited by peter_h

25 minutes ago, peter_h said:

The Leo Bodnar page for the BBI-64 board shows links for recommended 3rd party software and FSUIPC is in the list.

Okay. Yes, it can be used "out of the box" for the first 32 buttons. Otherwise it needs a plug-in or other software. It might be worth checking out LINDA. I don't know whether that handles Bodnar boards or not.

26 minutes ago, peter_h said:

I get it clear in my mind what the limitation is (

Max 32 buttons,  6 normal axes (X Y Z R=Rz U=Rx V=Ry), 2 sliders (S T), and 4 POVs (P Q M N).

To utilise more (your 64 buttons) you need to either use a plug-in, as I already told you (even pointing to an example), or a program to handle the card.

Please do read my replies. Seems you don't.

Pete

24 minutes ago, Larry C said:

I was asked if I considered using Autohotkey or SVmapper to map buttons 33-64 to keyboard commands"?. I don't think they realize FSUIPC can utilize keyboard commands

Well, it can, so those utilities may be one way of using the other 32 buttons, if LINDA isn't any help and you don't wish to adapt the HID plug-in example plug-in.

Pete