The simFlight Network Forums

Tower 3D Pro ATL Traffic Problems

PilatusPilot32

There seems to be a problem with traffic at ATL.  When you start the game at an early hour (7 or 8am), it seems like every terminal already has an aircraft at it, and departures pop up just fine.

However, since every terminal is taken, arrivals do not pop up until a departure has moved from the gate (and the arrival takes only vacated gates).  This results in only handling about 60 aircraft / hour at that time, when the traffic logs clearly indicate 100 at 7am and 177 at am.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this a problem at game startup?  It seems like at 7 or 8am that the majority of terminals should be vacant as the morning rush would start coming in around that time.

Thanks for your input, and once again, great job on this simulation.

If this is normal, how would you handle 177 aircraft at the 8am rush (as per what's in aircraft logs).  Start from the beginning of the day, or you just can't?

Also, while we're talking ATL, any aircraft that lands on 10/28, once they are issued taxi instructions, they move up a little bit and have to be told to "Continue Taxi."

Other than those 2 issues, Atlanta seems to be working correctly.

What the sim does is load 8 hours of scheduled flights to satisfy the crazy people who like to run long sessions. The side effect of this is what is referred to as "no free terminal" issues - i.e., gate availability issues for both departures and arrivals. If you want a more realistic full experience, I recommend extracting 2 or 3 hours of flights from the schedule and use that as your schedule file rather than the full schedule. Obviously, you'll want to backup the original schedule file.

46 minutes ago, crbascott said:

What the sim does is load 8 hours of scheduled flights to satisfy the crazy people who like to run long sessions. The side effect of this is what is referred to as "no free terminal" issues - i.e., gate availability issues for both departures and arrivals. If you want a more realistic full experience, I recommend extracting 2 or 3 hours of flights from the schedule and use that as your schedule file rather than the full schedule. Obviously, you'll want to backup the original schedule file.

I think that's making some sense.  What you're telling me is when I start at 8 am, the game is assuring that there is 8 hours of departing aircraft available (which is clogging all of the terminals) and then causing the beginning hours arrivals to be contingent on planes departing first.

Hopefully in future releases this can be addressed  by assuring enough aircraft exist using arriving aircraft also.

At any rate, thanks for the clarifications, and I'll make adjustments to the schedules to take advantage of the crazy rush.

If he doesn't see it, please pass along that there is a definite bug on aircraft arriving on 10/28.  Once you've assigned taxi instructions (to the terminal) they move up just slightly and stop, then have to be told to "Continue Taxi" before they start moving on their way.

Keep up the good work!

1 hour ago, PilatusPilot32 said:

I think that's making some sense.  What you're telling me is when I start at 8 am, the game is assuring that there is 8 hours of departing aircraft available (which is clogging all of the terminals) and then causing the beginning hours arrivals to be contingent on planes departing first.

It does try to use incoming planes for future departures but, as you said, it canget clogged.

1 hour ago, PilatusPilot32 said:

If he doesn't see it, please pass along that there is a definite bug on aircraft arriving on 10/28.

I'm just a forum member just like yourself. Post it and he/she/it will read it. :)